: Looking to upgrade from iMovie HD...

jmlachance
Sep 4th, 2016, 12:29 PM
yes, I know, it's an old version but I've stuck to it so far, not liking imovie08 when it came out.
I was going to upgrade to the latest but the reviews are fairly negative on the Apple download site.
I know I'm missing out on some great features, such as stabilizing shaky videos that newer versions have. Any recommendations..?

jmlachance
Sep 8th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I ended up trying pretty much every option I could find for a cheap upgrade or free trial but finally bit the bullet and bought Wondershare Filmora.
I would have like to stay with iMovie but the latest version would also have required upgrading my OSX which I'm not ready to do yet.
WF is good. I like being able to upload my videos to Youtube in a simple manner and choosing the quality is easy as well. It was able to stabilize the shaky-ness quite a bit as well...

mcoltezo
Sep 14th, 2016, 12:46 PM
I was just doing some work in iMovie 09 and it's not bad. I used FCP until I moved to HD but couldn't afford to upgrade FCP. iMovie 09 has quite a lot of flexibility and reviews I've seen say it's better than more recent versions which is why when I had to opportunity to upgrade I chose not to. Beyond iMovie 09...I'm out of the loop and not sure.

Hope this helps.

jmlachance
Sep 17th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Yes, I appreciate the info.
iMovie 09: where would I get a copy I wonder?
Thanks

mcoltezo
Sep 19th, 2016, 12:19 AM
Hi, I googled it and came across this: https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1574?locale=en_US

It says this is required: OS X Lion v10.7.4 or later but I'm running Snow Leopard so I don't know if this is the same version I have. I have 8.0.6 (821)....but it says it's iMovie '09. ...it does say posted date: Post Date: May 14, 2013

....I don't know .....hopefully it's the same. and again, I hope this helps. (I did a re-imaging of my computer about a year ago at a Genius Bar and asked them to put this specific version back on my computer because iLife had been updated but I didn't want that version of iMovie. They were able to find the older version.)

jmlachance
Sep 19th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks again.. I'll look into it.
The software I bought is good but I'm having trouble uploading from my camera, an older model, so that I'm using iMovie HD to upload then transferring to Filmora to do the editing..Maybe imovie 09 would do both..

Moscool
Sep 22nd, 2016, 08:42 PM
I miss Final Cut Express: it was just the right size of jump from iMovie. I had no choice but to invest in FCPX (much cheaper than the old FCP but still...) It has been hard work for somebody only using the software occasionally.

It really shines on sound. These days I dual record a lot and FCPX is brilliant at auto-synching sound and clips. I don't even need a clap any more. The audio quality correction tools are also excellent.

One of my staff is using iMovie for quick 'blog style' clips and it does the job. One area which gave her problems is making titles: iMovie is too basic. But we found a solution! We use Keynote to animate text and then export the animation as a movie clip. Very quick once you get the hang of it.