: Apple Patents Technology To Block Your Phone Camera

SINC
Jul 24th, 2016, 08:19 PM
Apple really doesn't want you to record videos where it's forbidden.

The company is working on a technology that can disable phones' photo and video recording capabilities using an infrared signal, a newly approved patent filing has shown.
The technology could stop people from making illegal recordings at concert venues, in cinemas or theaters.

The patent described how an infrared signal could be fired in places where video recording is prohibited. The phone would detect the signal and either alter what's shown on the screen or shut down its video features completely.

The patent approval was first reported by Patently Apple.

Apple patents technology to block your phone camera (http://money.cnn.com/2016/06/30/technology/apple-patent-stop-phone-recording/index.html)

BReligion
Jul 25th, 2016, 01:39 PM
My boss was talking about his last week, a good idea if they can pull it off in some places, potentially scarry in others.
Movie theatres yes, concerts my first reaction is no..but then again, now I won't have to watch the show through other idiots camera screens as they just stand there watching it rather then the stage... but someone else getting a hold of the code and using it against you Scarry.

Like would be attackers or hit and run type scenario where someone would take a picture of the offender... that now not working... could be an issue.

BReligion

ShawnKing
Jul 25th, 2016, 02:12 PM
a good idea if they can pull it off in some places, potentially scarry in others.

Actually, it's a ridiculous idea that will never happen. All it takes is for you to do something that so many who have reported this story haven't - think about it.

Does it make any sense for Apple to use technology that blocks *only* Apple products? Wouldn't that make people who want to take these videos *run* to buy an Android phone? What makes people who report or comment on this story think Apple would shoot itself in the foot that way?

Apple has patented this tech because it's what you do. It will never get put into actual use.

iMatt
Jul 25th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Since it only applies to iOS devices, if implemented it wouldn't have much impact on theatres or concerts. It might even prompt some customers to switch to a platform without that capability. I'm more in favour of venues and artists encouraging fans to put their phones away and/or designing their stage lighting specifically to guarantee that phone videos come out awful.

Overall just a terrible idea. Waaaay too many avenues of abuse. Here's hoping this is just one of those patents that gets filed because they can, not because they actually plan to use it.

Edit: previous post went up while I was writing this.

Captstn
Jul 27th, 2016, 10:23 AM
Just because something is patented does not mean it is implemented.
Sometimes it is patented to keep it from being used.

Cheers

Oakbridge
Jul 27th, 2016, 01:00 PM
If they can find a way to do this without having to install anything on the phone itself, they will have a very healthy market. Every movie theatre chain will licence it, every theatre on Broadway, London's West End, Toronto will licence it. Every arena or concert venue will license it.

Remember that something that has a patent doesn't have to be a finished product.

polywog
Jul 27th, 2016, 04:38 PM
If they can find a way to do this without having to install anything on the phone itself, they will have a very healthy market. Every movie theatre chain will licence it, every theatre on Broadway, London's West End, Toronto will licence it. Every arena or concert venue will license it.

Remember that something that has a patent doesn't have to be a finished product.

As well as law enforcement and anyone else that doesn't want photos of them.

I hope they have the patent to prevent this from being done.

Bigmac02
Jul 27th, 2016, 07:23 PM
For concerts, sure.

fjnmusic
Jul 27th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Actually, it's a ridiculous idea that will never happen. All it takes is for you to do something that so many who have reported this story haven't - think about it.

Does it make any sense for Apple to use technology that blocks *only* Apple products? Wouldn't that make people who want to take these videos *run* to buy an Android phone? What makes people who report or comment on this story think Apple would shoot itself in the foot that way?

Apple has patented this tech because it's what you do. It will never get put into actual use.

Good point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DEWLine
Aug 28th, 2016, 07:09 PM
This could indeed mess up on public safety fronts in any number of ways.