: MacOS 10.11.6 update

macintosh doctor
Jul 19th, 2016, 11:26 AM
The OS X El Capitan v10.11.6 Update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.
This update:
Resolves an issue that may prevent settings from being saved in accounts with parental controls enabled.
Resolves an issue that prevented some network devices, such as speakers and multifunction printers, from accessing SMB share points.
Enterprise content:
Improves startup time when connecting to a NetBoot server.
Resolves an issue that may prevent startup from a NetBoot image created with an OS X v10.11.4 or OS X v10.11.5 installer.
Resolves an issue that may cause Active Directory authentication to take longer than expected.

pm-r
Jul 19th, 2016, 11:40 PM
[I]The OS X El Capitan v10.11.6 Update improves the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, and is recommended for all users. …/I]

Yeah right!!!

But please make sure you have a current backup before even considering any such "update"!!!

And that's assuming that everything is working after your last previous OS X "UpDate"!!!

rgray
Jul 20th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Yeah right!!!

But please make sure you have a current backup before even considering any such "update"!!!

And that's assuming that everything is working after your last previous OS X "UpDate"!!!

'Oh ye of little faith'..... :D

10.11.6 installed and running without issue.

gwillikers
Jul 20th, 2016, 04:39 AM
Likely the last OS update for El Capitan, before Sierra is released. Which means it's the last OS update for a whole lot of older Mac computers. (although there are work-arounds for installing Sierra on many of those older Macs)

Sure would've been nice if they could have implemented Siri in El Capitan. But oh well, onward and upward I guess. :cool:

SINC
Jul 20th, 2016, 09:05 AM
'Oh ye of little faith'..... :D

10.11.6 installed and running without issue.

Ditto here, but used the combo updater.

monokitty
Jul 20th, 2016, 02:12 PM
No issues here, either.

Aurora
Jul 20th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Done

macintosh doctor
Jul 21st, 2016, 10:51 AM
i updated mine, while on vacation.. i love to live dangerously LOL

Kleles
Jul 23rd, 2016, 10:13 AM
Easily done (2 computers), no glitches.

AquaAngel
Jul 27th, 2016, 12:08 AM
Reason why i won't go EL capitain. i will stick to 10.8 for my regular stuff on my macpro and 10.8 for FCPx. i won't update to the newer os. El capitain sounds like Windows 10 to me

BReligion
Jul 27th, 2016, 01:08 PM
i won't update to the newer os. El capitain sounds like Windows 10 to me

I don't quite understand that comment.... Windows 10 is a fantastic OS. Probably the best thing MS has done since XP. Windows 7 was solid as well.

I don't work professionally on OS X, so I can't comment on software as a professional. As a home user I have never had an issue with any OS Update.

As a professional in a Windows enterprise environment (95% Windows 7), I have been running Windows 10 since the day it was released and have yet to have any issues with it.

BReligion

Macfriend
Jul 28th, 2016, 02:54 PM
Will 10.11.6 install itself on my imac mid-2007 with 4gig ram?

rgray
Jul 28th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Yes, according to https://support.apple.com/kb/sp728?locale=en_US

BReligion
Jul 29th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Will 10.11.6 install itself on my imac mid-2007 with 4gig ram?

Yes I had it running on my iMac 20" Mid 2007 4GB ram until about two weeks ago (upgraded to a newer mac mini).

Occasional Screen Freezing issue still present (known issue with the video card in my model) since ML, but no where near as frequent as with Mavericks or ML.

BReligion

krs
Sep 16th, 2016, 01:24 PM
I'm having all sorts of problems trying to upgrade to OS 10.11.6 - maybe some one can shed some light on what might be happening.

Running a "Late 2012" Mac Mini with a 2.5 GHz i5, 16GB of RAM and a 500GB hard drive with about 80GB of free space.
Downloaded OS 10.11.5 a while back and made a USB install disk using Diskmaker (? or an application with a similar name)
Installed 10.11.5 quite a few months ago - worked fine.

Someone sent me a few Pages documents which wouldn't open with my version of pages.
I was directed to the Apple website to download an update - turns out there were 8 Apple applications that could require an update according to Apple - basically all the main Apple apps and the OS.

So I updated Pages first and that opened the Pages documents I had received - so far so good.
Then I decided I might as well do all the updates.
Seemed to work fine - swent through the update/reboot/install cycle up to the point where one sees the out-of-focus ElCapitan background and the various accounts, I have an adnin account and a test account etc.
So I click on the main account and the Mac starts showing a black background, the account logo and name and the little spinning wheel below.
Still as expected, but then it never continues past that - I waited about 10 minutes and then gave up.
Shut off the Mini and booted it up again - same issue
Tried booting up holding the option key down.
Booted into my back-ups which were connected via a USB 3.0 external drive without problems.
Then tried to use the recovery disk that came up when I booted with the option key down - it went through its process but, what I didn't realize until I tried it, all that seems to do bring up a few options to run disk utility, or a back up, or reinstall the OS.
The Reinstall the OS starts to download the OS again from the Apple website - my elapsed time showed 25 hours (my internet seed is not very fast - about 2.5 Mb/s)
So I gave up on that or I would still be downloading now.
Booted into an old ElCapitan backup and ran disk utility on the main drive, the one that wouldn't boot, or better, the boot wouldn't complete.
Disk supposedly is fine.

So, without knowing 100% what I was doing, I decided to just reinstall 10.11.5 from my install USB drive. About 40 minutes everything was running fine again.

So the basic question - what does it mean if I get to the various accounts when booting but then the boot does not complete?
I now wonder if I should try to upgrade to 10.11.6 again.

Somehow I have the feeling the 10.11.6 upgrade never completely downloaded and that prevented the boot from completing.

At least now I have an absolute current backup - so trying to update to 10.11.6 is not as stressful as last time when by backup was almost a month old.

pm-r
Sep 16th, 2016, 02:33 PM
The Reinstall the OS starts to download the OS again from the Apple website - my elapsed time showed 25 hours (my internet seed is not very fast - about 2.5 Mb/s)

The OS 10.11.6 Update is just under 800MB (File Size: 759.1 MB) so with your 2.5 Mb/s download speed, it you should have it all in about an hour (60 minutes±).

Once you get it, you might want to make a copy before running it and store it somewhere safe.

You should also be able to run Disk Utility "First Aid" from the Recovery HD volume boot to check and repair anything possibly goofy.

krs
Sep 16th, 2016, 03:47 PM
The OS 10.11.6 Update is just under 800MB (File Size: 759.1 MB) so with your 2.5 Mb/s download speed, it you should have it all in about an hour (60 minutes±).

Once you get it, you might want to make a copy before running it and store it somewhere safe.

You should also be able to run Disk Utility "First Aid" from the Recovery HD volume boot to check and repair anything possibly goofy.

I'm trying to figure out if the 10.11.6 update was ever downloaded to my Mac.

When I check the application folder, it shows a "Date Modified" of yesterday at 7:36pm for
iBooks, iTunes and Pages.
So updates for Numbers, Keynote and the others were apparently never downloaded even though I selected "Download all"

I also have a "Install OS X El Capitan" with a Date Modified of 26 June 2016 but that was probably my original download of 10.11.5.
Would the 10.11.6 also end up with some "Install" application?
If so what would it be called.

BTW - I did run Disk Utility First Aid on the main drive - using both the disk utility from the recovery volume and also from one of the back ups of El Capitan.
Got a clean bill of health both times.

PS: What really got me is that running the OS X reinstall from the recovery volume meant a complete download of the software from the Apple servers.
Where is the "recovery" part in this????
I'm just reinstalling the complete OS from scratch.

monokitty
Sep 16th, 2016, 04:17 PM
PS: What really got me is that running the OS X reinstall from the recovery volume meant a complete download of the software from the Apple servers.
I'm just reinstalling the complete OS from scratch.

The "Recovery" partition is to run Disk Utility and/or restore from Time Machine if necessary without requiring an external, different bootable volume that most people don't have. It makes you download OS X from scratch because if it didn't, users would be reinstalling outdated versions of OS X and the recovery partition would be ~5GB in size instead of 650MB. (Taking up people's valuable drive space.)

SINC
Sep 16th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Go to the App store and click on updates. It shows my update to 10.11.6 was Sept. 2/16.

pm-r
Sep 16th, 2016, 04:38 PM

I'd say that their wording was pretty accurate and reinstall means just what it says, and if needed is also used as part of an OS X recovery.

The progress bar and any note should give an indication as to whether the download was completed and will also depend in what method was used to do the download.

Using the Software Update is usually the suggested and normal method.

krs
Sep 16th, 2016, 05:45 PM
The "Recovery" partition is to run Disk Utility and/or restore from Time Machine if necessary without requiring an external, different bootable volume that most people don't have. It makes you download OS X from scratch because if it didn't, users would be reinstalling outdated versions of OS X and the recovery partition would be ~5GB in size instead of 650MB. (Taking up people's valuable drive space.)

Well......
for me the "Recovery" partition didn't do anything that I expected.

Disk Utility I can run using a back-up (which every one should have anyway); I don't use time machine...and having to download the complete OS again sure isn't what I call "recovery"
But at least I now know what Apple means by "recovery" and what the recovery partition can do.
I'm really glad now that I made an install USB drive - it was meant to install El Capitan on other Macs in the family rather than download the OS each time, but now it came in handy to reinstall El Capitan.
I still don't know what the issue was with the 10.11.6 update - maybe I'll try again in a week or so.

And BTW - in my case, with a 500 GB hard drive the Mini came with, using 1% of that disk space for the complete OS to recover from an OS issue wouldn't bother me in the slightest.
Disk space is pretty cheap nowadays - bought the last 500GB USB 3.0 xternal for $C75.00

krs
Sep 16th, 2016, 05:49 PM
The progress bar and any note should give an indication as to whether the download was completed and will also depend in what method was used to do the download.

Using the Software Update is usually the suggested and normal method.

I wasn't watching the download bar - I was doing something else while download was in progress.
But when the Mac restarted by itself, I assumed that this only happened because the download had completed.
However, from what I see in my Application folder now, only some apps were updated.

pm-r
Sep 16th, 2016, 06:17 PM
I wasn't watching the download bar - I was doing something else while download was in progress.
But when the Mac restarted by itself, I assumed that this only happened because the download had completed.
However, from what I see in my Application folder now, only some apps were updated.

If your Mac restarted by itself during an update or major OS Install, whatever you were doing was completed as far as any download/update/upgrade/install goes, that is a normal procedure and would only occur after the download had completed and the installer had run and done its thing. Well, normally anyway… that's what's supposed to happen… :o

krs
Sep 16th, 2016, 07:01 PM
If your Mac restarted by itself during an update or major OS Install, whatever you were doing was completed as far as any download/update/upgrade/install goes, that is a normal procedure and would only occur after the download had completed and the installer had run and done its thing. Well, normally anyway… that's what's supposed to happen… :o

Exactly!
That's why I thought everything was fine.

I just checked the App Store - it's obviously messed up - it shows OS 10.11.6 both as an available update and also as an update installed on Sept 15, 2016.

When I check for unfinished updates nothing comes up - says there are no unfinished "paid" updates - so maybe they don't count the OS.

krs
Sep 16th, 2016, 07:21 PM
Here is a screenshot of what shows up in the App store for me, maybe someone can tell me what this means having the OS update both as an installed update and a file for download and update.:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/krs/Appl%20Updates.jpg

pm-r
Sep 16th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Click the "More" next to the "Software Update" to see what they are offering and possibly any other options to download or update any etc… in the expanded view…

And BTW: That Software Update is NOT the same thing as the OS xxx Update…

krs
Sep 16th, 2016, 09:18 PM
Click the "More" next to the "Software Update" to see what they are offering and possibly any other options to download or update any etc… in the expanded view…

And BTW: That Software Update is NOT the same thing as the OS xxx Update…

"More" just shows the OS 10.11.6 update again and also the Epson Printer update (which is the more part).
No other options to download or update the OS.

And what do you mean by your last sentence - what other OS update is there from 10.11.5 which is what I'm running now?
Why would you say that software update is not the same as an update to OS 10.11.6 - can you be more specific?
With Pages the update on that page certainly did update the version of Pages to the latest one - why would you think the OS update is any different?

pm-r
Sep 16th, 2016, 11:29 PM
Just do as SINC suggested in his #19 post:
Go to the App store and click on updates. It shows my update to 10.11.6 was Sept. 2/16.

Then follow directions if you actually want to. I think you're misreading or misunderstanding what I have said.

If you've followed the directions and you're still not up to date with all your OS and software assuming you wanted to do so, then you've got something goofy going on that you'll have to fix. Simple explanation.

EDIT:
You may need to do the update check several times until it says there are no current updates at this time or some such phrase.

rgray
Sep 16th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Geez!!!!

Why not quit the ridiculous dicking around with this and just download and run the COMBO 10.11.6 updater (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1885?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) and cover all bases at once!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

pm-r
Sep 17th, 2016, 12:10 AM
Geez!!!!

Why not quit the ridiculous dicking around with this and just download and run the COMBO 10.11.6 updater (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1885?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) and cover all bases at once]!!

Good suggestion!! :clap: ;)

I was thinking of suggesting the same thing but didn't want to confuse the situation with another and different option, nor another large download over a slow connection.

But hey, there it is. ;) :o

krs
Sep 17th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I think you're forgetting how this started!

I had no intentions to upgrade from 10.11.5 to 10.11.6

All I wanted is to open a Pages document I was sent.
Message came up that I couldn't open the document with the version of Pages I had and it directed me to the App Store to update
I did that and ended up with a list of eight applications that should be updated
, Pages being one of them

So I selected Pages, downloaded it and opened the document - so far so good.

Then I decided, since there was an "update all" option at the top of the eight apps to be updated, to go back to the App Store and click on the "update all" icon. That update included OS 10.11.6 and most of the Apple applications
Since this would take a while I just left the Mac to do its thing.

Eventually the Mac finished and restarted by itself the way I expected it. It got to the boot process where I have to select one of the accounts - and when I chose my main account to boot into, it sat there spinning its wheel.
Tried it a few times always the same issue.
That was the issue I was highlighting with the question if anyone had an idea what the problem could have been.
As far as I'm concerned, I just followed all the steps one by one but the OS update did not work.
And after I checked the App Store afterwards, nothing except Pages was actually updated - and to top it off, OS 10.11.6 shows as both already updated and not yet updated in the App shop.
So something definitely went haywire when I was following Apple's procedure.

Just re-emphasizes the point that was made by someone earlier, maybe not in this thread - the software quality und usability is getting worse and worse.

Thanks for the link to the Combo update, appreciate it but that wasn't really the issue I was trying to get some resolution to.

BTW - If I run the combo update - do I end up with an "Install" application that I can save on a flash drive before I actually install the update or does the update happen all at once automatically?

pm-r
Sep 17th, 2016, 01:54 PM
BTW - If I run the combo update - do I end up with an "Install" application that I can save on a flash drive before I actually install the update or does the update happen all at once automatically?

Normally the downloaded "OS X COMBO Update" files can be saved for later use, and only runs when opened and actually run.

PS: Always make sure you have a current working backup before doing any major installation, especially involving the OS System etc.

Just another reminder. :o :rolleyes:

Edit:
Just re-emphasizes the point that was made by someone earlier, maybe not in this thread - the software quality und usability is getting worse and worse.

Who me…??? Sorry, my Apple fanboy stuff started disappearing about ten years ago and has gotten worse with the years and I really don't like or appreciate a lot of their directions. And please, somebody do something with his majesty (cough, choke) "Sir Jonathan Paul "Jony" Ive" and get him out of software design and maybe hardware as well.

It's all quite thin enough already thanks Jony!!! :(