: MacOS Sierra

rgray
Jun 14th, 2016, 10:43 PM
The MacOS Sierra Compatibility List | OSXDaily (http://osxdaily.com/2016/06/14/macos-sierra-compatibility-list/)

MacBook Pro (2010 and later)
MacBook Air (2010 and later)
Mac Mini (2010 and later)
Mac Pro (2010 and later)
MacBook (Late 2009 and later)
iMac (Late 2009 and later)

This list of supported Macs is offered directly from Apple, shown during the MacOS Sierra debut presentation at WWDC 2016 conference. The still from that presentation is shown below with the same compatibility list:
http://cdn.osxdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/macos-sierra-compatible-mac-list.jpg

kloan
Jun 15th, 2016, 02:30 AM
I'm out (2009 MBP). Til I can afford a new machine anyway..

WCraig
Jun 15th, 2016, 08:42 AM

Considering that you'll be able to run a supported OS version until the fall of 2017, that's not a bad run.

Craig

pm-r
Jun 15th, 2016, 06:33 PM

Apple may change the specs for those models and many are questioning their reasoning, and it seems that some are running the beta on just such a Mac. And why the much less capable 2009 MBs can leaves one scratching their head.

But then again even if they and other models are all "supported", what't the point if one's Mac (like my 2011 iMac) can't even use a lot of the recent OS X version's "features" which Apple doesn't do much if anything to advertise the fact!!!

But no big deal to me as I don't need 95%+ of them anyway.

gwillikers
Jun 15th, 2016, 09:24 PM
I've been following some threads on other forums where people are already successfully installing Sierra on unsupported machines. By the time the final release comes out there will be methods to install Sierra on several of the unsupported computers.
So far it appears the Mac Pro 3,1 & 4,1 are relatively easy to install on, but the portables are more problematic with some USB issues showing up after installation. But again, that will likely get worked out in the coming weeks.

Apple seems carelessly arbitrary about creating the support list for Sierra. As an example, the Mac Pro 4,1 and 5,1 share the same motherboard ID, and are both very capable of running Sierra, yet Apple excluded the 4,1. The Mac Pro 3,1 is also more than capable, yet also excluded. Thankfully the work-arounds will solve this silliness.

gwillikers
Jun 15th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Thanks to some very knowledgeable Mac users, here's the unsupported machines that are successfully running Sierra after just a few days of effort...

http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp116/howiest/sierra2_zps7oilj2il.jpg

There'll be more info about the methods used, but in the case of the Mac Pro 4,1, simply applying a 5,1 firmware update is all that's required.

pm-r
Jun 15th, 2016, 11:47 PM
Well, there's sure not much Mac discussions happening here but then again I mentioned that fact for this site not too long ago, so I guess there's just not much macOS interest here anymore.

I doubt if I'll ever see or use macOS Sierra even though my 2011 iMac qualifies, as I can't see I'll have any use of any of it's new features which all seem to be related to iDevice integration.

I'll probably just stay with Mavericks as I'm sure not impressed with El Capitan I just recently installed on my old 2007 MBPro with a new SSD replacement.

Anyway, good luck to those who can use the upcoming latest macOS Sierra and hopefully it will work properly for them.

kloan
Jun 16th, 2016, 04:55 AM
Thanks to some very knowledgeable Mac users, here's the unsupported machines that are successfully running Sierra after just a few days of effort...

There'll be more info about the methods used, but in the case of the Mac Pro 4,1, simply applying a 5,1 firmware update is all that's required.
Huh! Pretty cool to see that. Thanks for the post.

HowEver
Jun 16th, 2016, 10:47 AM
The knowledgeable Mac folk who got Sierra working on those Macs have access to same beta software we all do.. So by the time the new macOS is released, it may either not work on those machines or be prevented from working on those machines specifically.

/killjoy

alebowgm
Jun 16th, 2016, 11:15 AM
Are they using some sort of special installation method. My 5.1 Macbook Pro wants the update :-)

nick24
Jun 16th, 2016, 01:46 PM
I'll probably just stay with Mavericks as I'm sure not impressed with El Capitan I just recently installed on my old 2007 MBPro with a new SSD replacement.

I'm curious - why would you not move to El Capitan? I understand that you might not be able to use all of it's features - is this why you are not upgrading, as Mavericks works for what you need it to do?

wonderings
Jun 16th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Well, there's sure not much Mac discussions happening here but then again I mentioned that fact for this site not too long ago, so I guess there's just not much macOS interest here anymore.

I doubt if I'll ever see or use macOS Sierra even though my 2011 iMac qualifies, as I can't see I'll have any use of any of it's new features which all seem to be related to iDevice integration.

Anyway, good luck to those who can use the upcoming latest macOS Sierra and hopefully it will work properly for them.

Seems they really stopped trying to improve the OS with anything substantial. With that said, I did notice a big improvement speed wise with El Capitan. That alone was worth it for me, I think it has to do with the "metal" integration. I know working with Adobe CC, things felt much snappier after the upgrade. For that alone it was worth it.

pm-r
Jun 16th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Apple may have added some new features that could be useful to some but in most cases one has to have a very recent model to take advantage of them.

i.e.: Which Macs Support OS X El Capitan's Metal? - The Mac Observer (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/which-macs-support-os-x-el-capitans-metal)

Most of us, especially the retired can't always afford to keep up but I guess we'er the minority of users and don't keep the Apple $$$ coffers overflowing.

My biggest complaint with the OS X updates is much of it seems and works like an unfinished OS and a lot of small details have been omitted, and sometimes even large changes made that are a backward step in a lot of cases. And the loss of user control seems to be getting greater by the version and the rumors about Sierra say its even worse. Much worse. I'll pass thanks.

gwillikers
Jun 16th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Mr. Killjoy, this is standard practise, remember XPostFacto? Saving machines from Apple's shortsighted vintage list has been going on for a long, long time.

A lot of us are just putting off a move to the dark side, so I applaud the efforts of the vintage list fighters.

The knowledgeable Mac folk who got Sierra working on those Macs have access to same beta software we all do.. So by the time the new macOS is released, it may either not work on those machines or be prevented from working on those machines specifically.

/killjoy

BReligion
Jun 16th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Well looks like El Cap is as far as my Mid 2007 iMac will go.... It's been a good run.
Really can't complain.

BReligion

pm-r
Jun 16th, 2016, 08:32 PM
Well looks like El Cap is as far as my Mid 2007 iMac will go.... It's been a good run.
Really can't complain.

BReligion

Well still lots left with our mid 2007 iMac as it's still nicely humming along with its Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and still one of the best OS X versions released IMHO and if one doesn't need any of the latest or recent stuff or "features".

SINC
Jun 16th, 2016, 10:28 PM
When one has children and grandchildren and great grandchildren who one has weened on Apple hardware from day one, it would be nothing less than 'stupid' not to follow along with them tech wise. Snow Leopard was a landmark in its day, but is sadly outdated and useless to me at least to keep up with all of the new features that I now enjoy thanks to keeping pace with the innovations those stuck in the past are missing. I much prefer the instant contact I maintain with family that would be impossible on a dinosaur like Snow Leopard. Just sayin'.

pm-r
Jun 16th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Odd, I can't think of anything that prevents any instant contact if and when it's used or needed with our Snow Leopard running iMac. They may not be Apple based, but I dare say they work as well as if not better.

gwillikers
Jun 17th, 2016, 02:15 AM
MacNN discusses the Mac Pro 3,1 and 4,1 being dropped from Sierra, here...

This Old Mac Pro: Sierra special (http://www.macnn.com/articles/16/06/16/sierra.poses.some.new.problems.for.the.aluminum.ma c.pro.faithful.134675/)

SINC
Jun 17th, 2016, 05:50 AM
Odd, I can't think of anything that prevents any instant contact if and when it's used or needed with our Snow Leopard running iMac. They may not be Apple based, but I dare say they work as well as if not better.

We communicate almost entirely via text messages, especially when on the road in the motor home. Snow Leopard does not support texting to my knowledge.

BReligion
Jun 17th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Well still lots left with our mid 2007 iMac as it's still nicely humming along with its Snow Leopard 10.6.8, and still one of the best OS X versions released IMHO and if one doesn't need any of the latest or recent stuff or "features".

Oh i have lots of life in my 2007 with El Cap... it's been running just fine for my uses.

Only exception being printing to my Lexmark printer, but found a work around for that, so no biggie.

Even *touch wood* the occasional screen freezing issue because of video drivers has resolved itself in El Cap (was an issue since Mountain Lion)

I will have to agree with SINC.. being able to easily do Messages (iMessage as of Mountain Lion and now Text Messages as of Yosemite) is well worth the cost of admission alone.

I love working form home and having MS Communicator and Messages windows open on one screen and my work on the other.
I don't end up picking up my iPhone at all when i work from home (except for the odd BBM message... stupid BBM :))

BReligion

pm-r
Jun 17th, 2016, 03:54 PM
Even *touch wood* the occasional screen freezing issue because of video drivers has resolved itself in El Cap (was an issue since Mountain Lion)

I wasn't aware and hadn't really even read anything of such video problems whatever that's all about. Anything I should be aware of and was it a general problem??

BReligion
Jun 17th, 2016, 04:57 PM
I wasn't aware and hadn't really even read anything of such video problems whatever that's all about. Anything I should be aware of and was it a general problem??

Back in 2014 I posted the following... https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-iphone-ipad-ipod-help-troubleshooting/125913-imac-mid-2007-screen-freeze.html... I do believe you even commented on it last ;)

I posted a link to a MacRumours forum where lots and lots of people were having the same/similar issues.

In a nutshell, the drivers for my specific model (+ video card) have sucked ever since Lion. Since Apple ignored the problem, the fix was to install old lion ktexts on the newer os. Worked fine for a long long time. Security update came along, and kerplunk. Re-applied old ktexts again and good to go. I had to do this a few times in ML and Mavericks. I just never got around to installing Yosemite.

I haven't had to do any of that stuff since I went to El Cap 6 months ago.

BReligion

pm-r
Jun 17th, 2016, 06:41 PM
I'll try and remember this if we ever install anything more recent on our mid 2007 24" iMac but it seems to have a different video card:
ATI Radeon HD2600, as opposed to your 20" iMac.

20" Mid 2007 iMac. 2 GHZ C2D 4GB Ram.
ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT 128MB Ram Video

hexdiy
Jun 17th, 2016, 07:32 PM
For those in the know: Sierra is already running under Multibeast!

BReligion
Jun 17th, 2016, 07:46 PM
I'll try and remember this if we ever install anything more recent on our mid 2007 24" iMac but it seems to have a different video card:
ATI Radeon HD2600, as opposed to your 20" iMac.

Yeah the 24"'s didn't suffer the same issue.

BReligion

gwillikers
Jun 17th, 2016, 08:03 PM
For those in the know: Sierra is already running under Multibeast!

I wish I had the confidence to build a hackintosh. There's so many people doing that right now.

It's just that my eyes start to glaze over when I look at all the parts that need to be meticulously combined to make the perfect build. :eek: