: iCloud Keychain... working as intended, or user error?

iMatt
Jun 2nd, 2016, 04:21 PM
Maybe I just haven't set it up properly, but does anyone else find iCloud Keychain to be of somewhat limited usefulness?

Just got a new iPhone and, after restoring it from a backup of my previous phone, had to manually enter passwords for non-Apple mail accounts and Facebook. It also doesn't reliably auto-fill passwords for some websites. Thankfully there's the Keychain Access app on the Mac, or some of those passwords would have been completely lost.

Are these third-party sites and apps not built to take advantage of iCloud Keychain? Annoying, if so.

(For those who don't know, Keychain Access shows you any stored password in clear text, as long as you know an admin password for your computer.)

SnowDX
Jun 16th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Some you need to tap the password field and then an auto fill section will come up above the keyboard and you can choose passwords from there.

You can also view passwords by going into Settings -> Safari -> Passwords

iMatt
Jun 16th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Thanks. Seems it's both a bit of user error and intended behaviour.

Whatever issues I had with Safari passwords are no longer happening, whether i was the root of the problem or not.

But I don't think I've signed in to any third-party apps that support iCloud Keychain. (Not 100% sure of that though.)

Not sure about Mail... all my passwords are entered now and I'm not going to sign out of anything just for testing.