: Best and safest way to clean a MacBook Pro track pad???

krs
May 5th, 2016, 11:58 PM
What is the best and safest way to clean a MacBook Pro track pad /

I keep coming across conflicting information on line, some say don't use any liquid at all, others claim isopropyl alcohol is fine, I also see glass cleaner being recommended, or a bit of water.

I think to get all the residue off the trackpad one has to use more than just a dry towel, but what is actually safe to use?
?

tilt
May 6th, 2016, 01:19 AM
Spray some glass-cleaner onto a clean towel, preferably microfibre, and then wipe clean. Do not spray anything directly onto the trackpad.

Cheers

John Clay
May 6th, 2016, 10:31 AM
The trackpad is glass, and you won't harm it easily. Just make sure you spray the cleaner onto the cloth, then wipe - don't spray it onto the trackpad.

monokitty
May 6th, 2016, 10:48 AM
^ What they said, including iKlear and related computer cleaning products - it all works. Spray on cloth, cloth to trackpad. Works on the keyboard, too, and display.

krs
May 6th, 2016, 11:14 AM
What about alcohol?
Spray on cloth, then wipe,

eMacMan
May 6th, 2016, 04:10 PM
I prefer alcohol for Keyboards. Same routine the cloth should be barely moist not wet.

Isopropyl alcohol will evaporate quickly, somewhat reducing the chances of damage. Even so it is far better to keep liquids of any variety from reaching any electrical components, than to try to repair resulting damage after the fact.

hexdiy
May 6th, 2016, 05:41 PM
+1! I have used IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) sparingly to clean tape recorder heads, capstans and pinch rollers, Cd and DVD laser units, computers, polycarbonate (eg. CD boxes) , glasses and whatnot for the last 25 years now.
Completely safe! Weapon of choice for professional and amateur alike.

krs
May 6th, 2016, 06:56 PM
+1! I have used IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) sparingly to clean tape recorder heads, capstans and pinch rollers, Cd and DVD laser units, computers, polycarbonate (eg. CD boxes) , glasses and whatnot for the last 25 years now.
Completely safe! Weapon of choice for professional and amateur alike.

I have as well, except for computers.......

But the trackpad is a different kettle of fish with all the sensors trying to pick up changes in capacitance - so specifically for the trackpad I wanted to get some input.