: Import PDF into Pages

rondini
Mar 25th, 2016, 02:50 AM
I have several book chapters that were sent to me as PDFs for each chapter. Any pointers on importing them into either Pages or iBooks Author, in order to make one 'Book' out of them?

I am sure the answer is as obvious as hell, but I am not seeing it at the moment.

Thanks for any advice.

CubaMark
Mar 25th, 2016, 03:12 AM
I have several book chapters that were sent to me as PDFs for each chapter. Any pointers on importing them into either Pages or iBooks Author, in order to make one 'Book' out of them?

Put the files in order

Open the last one (whichever has the biblio or conclusion or whatever)

Turn on the sidebar with thumbnails (Command-Option-2)

Drag the remaining files in reverse order into the sidebar

When they're all in there, select all the thumbnails (may not be necessary, but I do it anyway)

File--> Print to PDF

The page range should reflect the total page count of all PDFs. If it doesn't, you've done something wrong.

You can do them in proper order (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) but in my experience, after dropping them into the sidebar the damn things "expand" and you need to click the triangle to collapse 'em. Easiest just to do reverse order as I've outlined above.

rgray
Mar 25th, 2016, 07:26 AM
Put the files in order

Open the last one (whichever has the biblio or conclusion or whatever)

Turn on the sidebar with thumbnails (Command-Option-2)

Drag the remaining files in reverse order into the sidebar

When they're all in there, select all the thumbnails (may not be necessary, but I do it anyway)

File--> Print to PDF

The page range should reflect the total page count of all PDFs. If it doesn't, you've done something wrong.

You can do them in proper order (1, 2, 3, 4, etc.) but in my experience, after dropping them into the sidebar the damn things "expand" and you need to click the triangle to collapse 'em. Easiest just to do reverse order as I've outlined above.

Sounds as if you are talking about Preview???? Does this also work in Pages/iBookAuthor???

CubaMark
Mar 25th, 2016, 03:30 PM
Oh crud. Yep. I totally saw Preview, not Pages. Though I wonder why Pages?

You can easily pull single-page PDFs into Pages using the Thumbnail sidebar technique, but for long documents it would be a bit much.

In short; yes, but not worth your while, since you'd have to do it a page at a time and the multiple-page PDFs would not automatically assign to multiple Pages pages.

Moscool
Mar 27th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Decided to play around and try a couple of things. Pages will not open .pdf files natively but

1) Open the pdf into Preview. Select all. Copy. Open a blank Pages document. Paste. You'll find that everything is in there (editable text, graphic elements...) You will need to reconstruct the heads/foots/sidebars structure, but it's quite straightforward. Particularly once you have designed styles.

2) iBooks Author: exactly the same thing!

CubaMark
Mar 27th, 2016, 01:41 PM
I'm still scratching my head as to why you're using Pages?

If all you want to do is concatenate the PDFs and output as a single PDF, then just join 'em in Preview and export as a single file.

Unless you need to edit some material within it?

wonderings
Mar 29th, 2016, 12:03 PM
You can merge multiple PDF's into 1 pdf with Acrobat DC, not sure if you can do it with the free version, but the pro is dead simple.