: Retro iMac

CubaMark
Mar 20th, 2016, 04:14 PM
http://dlb99j1rm9bvr.cloudfront.net/colorware-imac-retro/parts/model/size-1000/fg.png

The nostalgia continues at ColorWare with the all new Retro Apple iMac computer and Retro version of the Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse. Once again ColorWare was inspired by the Apple IIe computer, a design that customers long for.

This Apple iMac desktop computer is sold with one Retro Keyboard and Retro Mouse that include a rainbow Retro logo along with that memorable vanilla and putty color. The iMac Retina 5k is engraved with the series number 1-25 and has the cheerful rainbow Apple logo.

(Colorware (http://www.colorware.com/p-628-colorware-imac-retro.aspx))

AquaAngel
Mar 20th, 2016, 05:34 PM
I want it

SM_102
Mar 22nd, 2016, 06:33 PM
what's the cost?

CubaMark
Mar 22nd, 2016, 06:54 PM
what's the cost?

From the link: $3799

wonderings
Mar 24th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Is the price $3799 American? If so, you are paying a lot of money for something that honestly does not look that great. The same mac without their retro look goes for $2,299 USD. If that is indeed in USD then $1500 USD for that. I would imagine you could find someone to give it that look without that incredibly high markup.

screature
Mar 24th, 2016, 03:03 PM
http://dlb99j1rm9bvr.cloudfront.net/colorware-imac-retro/parts/model/size-1000/fg.png

The nostalgia continues at ColorWare with the all new Retro Apple iMac computer and Retro version of the Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse. Once again ColorWare was inspired by the Apple IIe computer, a design that customers long for.

This Apple iMac desktop computer is sold with one Retro Keyboard and Retro Mouse that include a rainbow Retro logo along with that memorable vanilla and putty color. The iMac Retina 5k is engraved with the series number 1-25 and has the cheerful rainbow Apple logo.

(Colorware (http://www.colorware.com/p-628-colorware-imac-retro.aspx))

I guess for collectors with a lot of money it could be cool. For anyone else not so much.

SM_102
Mar 24th, 2016, 04:09 PM
if you put tim cook's signature on the 25 imacs, then yes I can see how it can justify the extra cost for the SE.

heavyall
Mar 24th, 2016, 04:37 PM
All of Colorware's stuff is really cool. But the cost to do what they do is prohibitive for most.

I love the granite Macbooks. The custom anodized iPhones are amazing too.

polywog
Mar 24th, 2016, 05:21 PM
I don't get how that's "Retro." I get they went the extra mile with the dressings, but it's basically a new iMac with stickers and new skin.

When I think retro iMac I'm think lampshade... if they could pull that off I'd consider it.

wonderings
Mar 24th, 2016, 05:23 PM
I don't get how that's "Retro." I get they went the extra mile with the dressings, but it's basically a new iMac with stickers and new skin.

When I think retro iMac I'm think lampshade... if they could pull that off I'd consider it.

Even if they did manage to make it a Lampshade, which was my favourite iMac design, I would not pay $1500 USD over the price of a new one from Apple.

polywog
Mar 24th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Even if they did manage to make it a Lampshade, which was my favourite iMac design, I would not pay $1500 USD over the price of a new one from Apple.

If they could gut an Mac Mini, and build me a lampshade with a modern high density display, I would be far more tempted than "It's retro... because stickers!"

I can mactac and decal my own machine for far less. I can't build a lampshade (not with what spare time I have)

SINC
Mar 24th, 2016, 05:49 PM
I still have a lampshade 15" with its original box and software sitting unused in my heated shop. If I recall, it is running Tiger. Must turn it on one day and play a little.

heavyall
Mar 24th, 2016, 08:00 PM
If they could gut an Mac Mini, and build me a lampshade with a modern high density display, I would be far more tempted than "It's retro... because stickers!"

I can mactac and decal my own machine for far less. I can't build a lampshade (not with what spare time I have)

It's not stickers. Colorware takes the device(s) completely apart and bonds the colour to the aluminum. It's an expensive high quality process.

pm-r
Mar 25th, 2016, 12:04 AM
I understood that all Hackintosh topics were discouraged or not even allowed on these Mac listserv sites…

At least it seems that anyone suggesting building your own Mac was sure shot down in a hurry here, so what's the difference, except these costing a heck of a lot more…???

CubaMark
Mar 25th, 2016, 12:24 AM
I understood that all Hackintosh topics were discouraged or not even allowed on these Mac listserv sites…

At least it seems that anyone suggesting building your own Mac was sure shot down in a hurry here, so what's the difference, except these costing a heck of a lot more…???

I'm not clear on your issue here.....

A "hackintosh" involves the installation of Apple's OS X on a non-Apple-hardware machine, typically something that would otherwise be a Windows or Linux box. That's a violation of the terms of Apple's license to the user.

There's nothing in the Colorware offering that would be considered a "hackintosh". It's just a (high quality) 'paint' job and decal application.

heavyall
Mar 25th, 2016, 04:21 PM

There are customized official products, not knock-offs.