: Apple TV App Store? Where can I see it?

winwintoo
Jan 24th, 2016, 02:48 PM
Thinking about springing for Apple TV 4, but would like to see what apps are available before I do.

Google only coughs up lists of apps that were available at launch.

Is there a way to see what's there?

pm-r
Jan 24th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Maybe this site can help a bit, even if not right up to date, but my biggest confusion or misunderstanding is the difference in what they and I think of and consider an "App"!!!

Their idea seems to be " individual apps standing in for or as channels", or what various video channels have always been to me.

The New Apple TV in Canada Will Have These Default Apps [LIST] | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource (http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/new-apple-tv-canada-apps-list/)

winwintoo
Jan 24th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Maybe this site can help a bit, even if not right up to date, but my biggest confusion or misunderstanding is the difference in what they and I think of and consider an "App"!!!

Their idea seems to be " individual apps standing in for or as channels", or what various video channels have always been to me.

The New Apple TV in Canada Will Have These Default Apps [LIST] | iPhone in Canada Blog - Canada's #1 iPhone Resource (http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/new-apple-tv-canada-apps-list/)

I agree, most of those are "channels" imho. And that list was published just before release and I haven't been able to find anything since.

Commodus
Jan 25th, 2016, 02:38 PM
Thinking about springing for Apple TV 4, but would like to see what apps are available before I do.

There's nothing official (outside of App Store entries mentioning Apple TV support). That's one of the big issues, I think... app discovery is limited to what you see on the device itself, and mentions that you find online.

Having said this, there's a fairly healthy selection. On top of the usual services (Netflix, YouTube, sports services, CraveTV, Shomi), you're starting to see a lot of the media center apps that weren't really possible on earlier Apple TVs, like Plex and VLC.

My hope is that the Apple TV becomes what Roku has been trying to be: that place where almost any video you'd care to watch is available. That it can also do gaming and other non-video tasks is just icing on the cake.

Oakbridge
Jan 25th, 2016, 04:16 PM

I seem to recall that you're not close to an Apple Store. That would have been my first suggestion as they have units set up on display.

Why not call Apple and ask them?

makuribu
Jan 26th, 2016, 07:01 PM
Apple TV App Store is pretty poorly presented even when you have an ATV 4, and it's nearly impossible to find info without one. The usual channels (Vimeo, vevo, pbs) are there. The games are pretty limited right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

winwintoo
Jan 26th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Apple TV App Store is pretty poorly presented even when you have an ATV 4, and it's nearly impossible to find info without one. The usual channels (Vimeo, vevo, pbs) are there. The games are pretty limited right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks, l was afraid of that. I'm going to hold off until there's more available.

jhuynh
Jan 28th, 2016, 10:02 AM
You can see some here: https://www.appannie.com/apps/appletv/top/canada/overall/
I think creating an account is free to see their full list if you want to see more.

hexdiy
Jan 28th, 2016, 01:49 PM
Maybe a bit offtopic, but it may be interesting to know that Infuse is ATV 4 compatible now:
Infuse - The Beautiful Way to Watch Videos | FireCore (http://firecore.com/infuse)

chas_m
Feb 4th, 2016, 12:05 AM
There's more "channel apps" than other kinds of apps, but there's a fair few games, and a few non-game apps there. It's early days, but there's no point in "waiting" for more apps -- they're being added every day.