: MPB 2008 curriosity question

larkie
Jan 23rd, 2016, 04:54 PM
I have also got a 2013 MBP, but I am curious as to what caused the older one to quit.

The battery has been no good for a while, but I could use it while plugged in. I lent it out for a few days and while it was gone it quit. Trying to restart gave message something like "computer ran into a problem press any key to restart"

It will start and show options if I press the option key, but once I pick an option - Hard drive: Recover: even re-installation of Mavericks that I tried, I get Apple logo and gear that spins for a bit and then seems to stop.

I mostly use Windows PCs and have run into different types of problems that I manage to solve, but this is the first with a Mac. If the hard drive is toast, would it still boot? Thinking back to the problems I had with my desktop hard-drive I suppose it would.

pm-r
Jan 23rd, 2016, 08:27 PM
There's a good chance the problem could be due to the hard drive going or has gone kaput.

Do you have an external drive with a compatible OS X version or clone you could try booting from???

That could test whether the drive was at fault or not. Probably not enough ports or cable/adapters available to use any Target Disk Mode method with your other 2013 Mac.

larkie
Jan 23rd, 2016, 09:39 PM
Thank you.

I do not have an external drive. I do have a firewire cable, but presumably would need to buy an adapter to use it with my 2013 MBP. I just looked up Target Drive mode as I did not know about it before.

hexdiy
Jan 24th, 2016, 12:04 AM
Lots of options within OSX. First retry the recovery partition: Command-R on boot. This will get you to the recovery partition. Reinstall if need be. (= Archive & install). If I read rightly you don't get this option. HDD or internal SATA cable may indeed be dead.

Secondly: Netboot. Recovery from Apple servers. Alt-Command-R on boot. You"ll be able to recover to the OSX version originally installed on your MBP, but a 2008 may simply be too old. 10.5 Leopard was what it came with.
Maybe post its s#n here, so we can look it up.
Is it this one?
MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 15" (08) Specs (Early 2008, MB133LL/A, MacBookPro4,1, A1260, 2198) @ EveryMac.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.4-15-early-2008-penryn-specs.html)
You may have experienced the usual NVidia Geforce 8600 M GT breakdown.
It should do data enough to your rescue...

Once started up, please post an Etrecheck report here, so we can go over your options.

Carl
Jan 24th, 2016, 03:32 PM
Have you tried single user mode and fsck -fy in terminal mode? Sounds like this may fix the boot partition on the HD.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201573

larkie
Jan 29th, 2016, 12:42 AM
I got around to trying the command & s today. Showed me a bunch of stuff I did not understand. Looked up some commands - entered ls - entered exit - waited for another bunch of stuff - mostly I think showing exiting from internet.
(It's been a long time since I entered anything in a command line and I think that was probably for Linux.)

Can't remember if I pressed off and then on or it just rebooted, but anyway it is now working again and wanted to send message to Apple re problem. The message did not give me any clues as to what was wrong.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

broad
Jan 30th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Look in Macintosh HD/logs/diagnostic reports and find the newest item with "kernel" in its name and post it here

larkie
Mar 1st, 2016, 01:57 AM
Hi: I have been busy doing other things, and did not see the last post in time, as the
laptop stopped working again. Just started tonight to try various things (including fsck -fy), but with no success so far.

Probably will not have time to do much for a bit, as I have to get caught up on tax stuff. Haven't even bought this year's program yet.

CubaMark
Mar 1st, 2016, 11:09 AM
Larkie, have you tried starting it up from the system OS disk that came with the MacBook (yeah, I know, it's been 8 years)? I have that model - still ticking along great (after one surgery to replace a burnt-out DC-in (magsafe) board).

Hexdiy noted above that if the standard Recovery boot doesn't do the trick, the NetBoot option should (barring non-HD hardware issues) get it up and running. I just want to add the caveat that this can be a very slow process, as the computer is downloading a basic OS over the 'net. You may think that nothing is happening, but let it run its course.

If and when you identify what's happening, you might find this link useful: iFixIt's Late-2008 MacBook Guides & Parts (https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Unibody_Model_A1278) page.