: iPhone 6 won't mount on iMac

Jazzboy
Jan 12th, 2016, 05:30 PM
Hope I haven't missed a previous thread on this, but why in the name of God won't my iPhone 6 mount on my iMac running El Capitan? Any suggestions on how to remedy this welcome.

Jazzboy
Jan 12th, 2016, 05:37 PM
https://imazing.com/

Sounds good ...

John Clay
Jan 12th, 2016, 06:34 PM
iOS devices do not mount on a computer without using third party software. They're designed to be managed entirely through iTunes.

SINC
Jan 12th, 2016, 08:37 PM
Why in the world would you try a third party app like iMazing when iTunes is built right into your Mac and does all that and more?

kloan
Jan 12th, 2016, 09:08 PM
iPhones don't mount as storage devices as iPods do. As already mentioned, everything is done through iTunes. There's no reason to use another app.

pm-r
Jan 12th, 2016, 11:13 PM
Why in the world would you try a third party app like iMazing when iTunes is built right into your Mac and does all that and more?

You're joking right…??? And I'm interested to know what's included in the "more" part you mention.

Some of us like to be able to more than what Apple and it's apps limit us to. And that includes backups and what is or isn't included.

bmovie
Jan 13th, 2016, 12:05 AM
hahahaha, that's why I switched to an Android.....so I don't have to go through iTunes.

for example tonight I was just fooling around with the phone, making ringtones....made 5 ringtones from songs I have on the phone, all without going through iTunes, without having to mount it and then sync and tell it where the ringtones are.

for how, everything just works, with Apple, they really constrict you.

SINC
Jan 13th, 2016, 05:12 AM
You're joking right…??? And I'm interested to know what's included in the "more" part you mention.

Some of us like to be able to more than what Apple and it's apps limit us to. And that includes backups and what is or isn't included.

And some of us like to use Apple all the way to avoid unnecessary third party issues that are almost guaranteed to pop up. It's kinda like running a Chev oil filter in your Toyota, It may work, but is not designed for the product.

And no, I am not joking. The "more" is the stability of the proper software designed specifically for the iPhone. ;)

bmovie
Jan 13th, 2016, 09:48 AM
I think that pm-r, might be saying (correct me if I'm wrong) is that we would like the choice of how to run the device, not be forced to run it how Apple wants us to do it.

That is why the jailbreak community is so huge. On my phone I have the option to unlock the boatloader, will I do it? Probably not. I like how it works without me messing around with things I don't fully understand, but at least I have that option.

kloan
Jan 13th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Problem with Android is once you start messing around with it, making tweaks and what-not, it never stops.. you're constantly trying to fix the stupid little bugs and quirks that are introduced with running custom ROMs. For me, it ended up being more trouble than it was worth. I would like some things to be more straight forward with the iPhone, such as being able to drag and drop files, ringtones, etc.. but I'm glad everything I do use it for, just works.

Biggest pain in the ass with Android by far is when you get a new phone. Good luck with that. That's the #1 reason I went back to the iPhone.

pm-r
Jan 13th, 2016, 06:35 PM
What I was basically saying that I discovered by accident, is that Apple's methods doesn't even come close to controlling what data does or doesn't stay on one's iDevice as one expects, especially using Apple's iTunes "backup" method.

And that includes what the iTunes "backup" (joke and oxymoron) doesn't include:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

And don't expect to end up with the same iOS version and compatible apps if you happen to end up having to use Apple's iTunes "Restore" on an older iPad 2 as I had to do.

That's why I started looking at third party software and discovered even more Apple goof ups!!! Including some old huge (over 1GB) space wasting files that couldn't be discovered or removed with anything Apple provides. And my iPad 2 is only 16GB total, so space is vital!!

Next step probably — jailbreak… and create even more free space that I can utilize on my iDevice!! Gheese, you'd think that Apple thinks it's still their iDevice, NOT!!! :(

bmovie
Jan 13th, 2016, 08:27 PM
I know what you mean...I'm having an issue with my wifes 4S, we gave that to my daughter to use as an ipod, no CELL, because her ipod touch 3gen's battery was CRAP.
So (I should have know better) without thinking I just wiped the device clean and ended up putting IOS 9.2 on it...what a joke that is, it basically made the device almost useless. Its unresponsive, and when it does work its really slow, and there apprently is NO way to go back!
Thats what pisses me off more. They allowed this IOS to be able to be installed on a machine that CANT handle it.
I know there is a law suite at the moment pending about this...but that doesn't solve my problem now.
I believe this was done with intent...you install this new IOS and after while you find your device is slow and useless forcing you to buy a new device!!!

SINC
Jan 13th, 2016, 09:50 PM
What I was basically saying that I discovered by accident, is that Apple's methods doesn't even come close to controlling what data does or doesn't stay on one's iDevice as one expects, especially using Apple's iTunes "backup" method.

And that includes what the iTunes "backup" (joke and oxymoron) doesn't include:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204136

And don't expect to end up with the same iOS version and compatible apps if you happen to end up having to use Apple's iTunes "Restore" on an older iPad 2 as I had to do.

That's why I started looking at third party software and discovered even more Apple goof ups!!! Including some old huge (over 1GB) space wasting files that couldn't be discovered or removed with anything Apple provides. And my iPad 2 is only 16GB total, so space is vital!!

Next step probably — jailbreak… and create even more free space that I can utilize on my iDevice!! Gheese, you'd think that Apple thinks it's still their iDevice, NOT!!! :(

I know what you mean...I'm having an issue with my wifes 4S, we gave that to my daughter to use as an ipod, no CELL, because her ipod touch 3gen's battery was CRAP.
So (I should have know better) without thinking I just wiped the device clean and ended up putting IOS 9.2 on it...what a joke that is, it basically made the device almost useless. Its unresponsive, and when it does work its really slow, and there apprently is NO way to go back!
Thats what pisses me off more. They allowed this IOS to be able to be installed on a machine that CANT handle it.
I know there is a law suite at the moment pending about this...but that doesn't solve my problem now.
I believe this was done with intent...you install this new IOS and after while you find your device is slow and useless forcing you to buy a new device!!!

I bought an iPad 2 Mini lat spring when they were clearing them out. My mistake was buying a 32 GB which filled up in a heartbeat, but I digress.

Once I got it set up the way I wanted it with a very limited amount of apps, mostly games like cribbage and solitaire etc. I found it worked very well and was super fast compared to the old iPad 2 it replaced, which was a 64 GB model.

So, I decided to erase my old iPad 2 completely and then restore it using the back up I had freshly created for the new iPad 2 Mini.

Guess what? It worked flawlessly and it is now just as fast as the Mini. Go figure.

And for the record, I did all this with iTunes without a hitch. Funny how that 'just works' when you stick to all Apple innit? ;)

pm-r
Jan 13th, 2016, 11:16 PM
Hmmm…??? It seems a bit odd to me that you'd have to buy a newer iPad model and then use it and it's Apple restore to fix an older iPad model.

Just curious, but did you not notice something a bit odd and excessive to accomplish that???

But I'm sure you're just satisfied with Apple's "it just works" method, unfortunately I don't see to much support for that on the 'net, except from the old Apple "fan boys". Some of which seem to have disappeared from posting here for quite some months now, like: Last Activity: Nov 21st, 2015 11:31 PM

bmovie
Jan 13th, 2016, 11:44 PM
This "it just works" doesn't cut it for me anymore.....3 or more years ago sure I bought into it. I would go on and on about how great apple is. But lately with the last few OS releases, how quickly the updates come out for both IOS and the OS just to fix what various problems people were having, is starting to get me thinking twice.
I still love my apple products, but what is really buging me is the feeling i'm getting from a company with more money than god, still wants to gouge the public with their products. I find their products are over priced. An I.T. guy at work has built a hackintosh, the specs are better than the NEW Mac pros, at 1/3 the cost.
Now I know i'm going to hear stuff like well those parts are not meant to work together as well as a Mac's, to which I would say, that everytime I'm at the apple store I see a hell of alot of people in with problems to their machines, whether is hardware or software. and the big difference is if a video card blows in my iMac and apple care is finished, good luck affording a new one.
I just have opened my eyes a little more lately and realized that an iPhone 64GB at close to $400/two year term compared to the Android phone at $0 and it does everything I need it to do was a better choice for me. Some friends said to me I went to the dark side, why I switched, I ask them....what do you do differently with your iphone that I can't do with mine?

SINC
Jan 14th, 2016, 07:42 AM
Hmmm…??? It seems a bit odd to me that you'd have to buy a newer iPad model and then use it and it's Apple restore to fix an older iPad model.

Just curious, but did you not notice something a bit odd and excessive to accomplish that???

That is because I need to carry a machine around with me to monitor my website forum where posts are emailed to me instantly so I can evaluate them for legal issues. The old 64 GD iPad 2 was nearly full of stuff I had not used for many years and needed to be cleaned up. It was too heavy to lug around with me when out and about, thus the Mini purchase. (An iPhone does not allow editing of posts on my forum.) I then set up the Mini to serve my needs and basically cloned it to the iPad 2 so anything I did on one machine appeared on the other. Apple makes that part 'just work' too. Also this way when my MBP is updating or charging at home I have the Mini to check the website there too.

The speed difference on the iPad 2 was likely due to the clutter being gone and the newer OS, but whatever.

Andrew Pratt
Jan 14th, 2016, 05:11 PM
I'd like my phone to mount the same way it does when I plug it into my work PC....i.e. it displays the photo's folder which I can then easily grab a copy of a photo to use elsewhere. On my Mac's I need to use an app like image capture or worse iPhoto just to export a photo. I don't need root access but it would be nice to at least have the option out of the box to allow them to mount.

pm-r
Jan 14th, 2016, 06:30 PM
I think you can have specific folders mount with the iExplorer.app, if it's running when the iDevice is connected. I was trying out its DEMO mode and something about that in its preferences.
https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/?gclid=CNnBx9KsqsoCFc2CfgodWEEGKg

Similar to the iMaazing.app I've been using, but it doesn't seem to have that option, but then, I don't need it either. ;)

Andrew Pratt
Jan 14th, 2016, 11:26 PM
For photo's I'll just use AirDrop...if it happens to be working when I want to use it.

bmovie
Jan 14th, 2016, 11:27 PM
I think you can have specific folders mount with the iExplorer.app, if it's running when the iDevice is connected. I was trying out its DEMO mode and something about that in its preferences.
https://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer/?gclid=CNnBx9KsqsoCFc2CfgodWEEGKg

Similar to the iMaazing.app I've been using, but it doesn't seem to have that option, but then, I don't need it either. ;)

yes you're correct I use iExplorer best app to see folders, grab photos and music and other various files off the phone.

pm-r
Jan 14th, 2016, 11:58 PM
Unfortunately, neither iMazing.app nor iExplorer.app will show or allow the exposure and proper removal of several GBs of surplus installed Apple crap such as surplus languages etc. that iClean can do, but a jailbreak is needed to run it.

I'll probably be doing that if and when I start running short of space on my 16GB iPad 2.