: Last version of iPhoto compatible with Mavericks

yeeeha
Jan 9th, 2016, 01:30 PM
I helped my friend update his MBP from OS 10.6 Snow Leopard to OS 10.9 Mavericks yesterday. After the upgrade we found out that his previous iPhoto 9.2.3 would not run in OS 10.9. We searched and found the installer for iPhoto 9.4.3 (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1650?locale=en_US). We downloaded and applied the update. Now iPhoto could launch.

Upon launching there was a prompt that update 9.5 was available on the Mac App Store. But the store showed a message that the item was not available.

What is the last version of iPhoto that is compatible with OS 10.9? It appears that iPhoto 9.5.1 is the last version for OS 10.9. Is there a way to get this updater?

pm-r
Jan 9th, 2016, 07:13 PM
Did you use Software Update after installing Mavericks and then do all the updates until it says you're all up to date. Ignoring any suggestion for El Cap'n of course.

I'm running Mavericks OS X 10.9.5 and my iMac's iPhoto version is 9.5.1. And is the latest for Mavericks use AFAIK.

PS: The download site URL you gave says:
"Download iPhoto 9.4.3
Post Date: Apr 16, 2013

File Size: 730.91 MB

System Requirements
OS X Lion 10.7.5
OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.3"

Close, and maybe work, but sure not the best or recommended latest…

yeeeha
Jan 9th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Did you use Software Update after installing Mavericks and then do all the updates until it says you're all up to date. Ignoring any suggestion for El Cap'n of course.

Yes. I upgraded his machine to OS 10.9.5 with all other updates too. Then I found the iPhoto 9.4.3 installer so we did the iPhoto upgrade. iPhoto 9.4.3 launched without any problem and his photo library was intact. Then came a prompt that version 9.5 was available. Of course Apple had long pulled any iPhoto update off MAS. My friend said that it would be nice to be able to update to the last compatible version, but he could live with using v.9.4.3.

This is what I dislike about updating through MAS. For my own Mac, I go out of my way to search for the standalone installer of any Apple s/w.

Here's another question: what is the last version of iMovie that is compatible with Mavericks?

pm-r
Jan 9th, 2016, 10:13 PM
Well, just checking my iMovie versions in my Mavericks volume, both 10.0.5 and 9.0 seem to work with a notice that a 9.0.9 install which it seems I have but not installed, just downloaded some time ago: imovie9.0.9update

iMovie 9.0 said to check with Software Update for the 9.0.9 update but I didn't see anything listed there.

yeeeha
Jan 9th, 2016, 11:42 PM
I didn't check the iMovie on his machine to see what version that was, and no idea if it would launch after upgrading the OS. He will likely ask this question the next time we meet.

Thanks for your help.

pm-r
Jan 10th, 2016, 12:22 PM
I didn't check the iMovie on his machine to see what version that was, and no idea if it would launch after upgrading the OS. He will likely ask this question the next time we meet.

Thanks for your help.

Why doesn't he just try launching it (iMovie) and see if it runs??? Then he won't even have to ask!! ;)

OT: I read a lot of comments on various Mac help sites about iDVD not working for a lot of users and having the latest OS X versions installed — in case he needs it, and he might want to check.

And apparently it won't work with external CD/DVD Burners either. Regardless of OS version. P'd off a lot of upgrading Mac users. :(

SINC
Jan 10th, 2016, 01:34 PM
Why doesn't he just try launching it (iMovie) and see if it runs??? Then he won't even have to ask!! ;)

OT: I read a lot of comments on various Mac help sites about iDVD not working for a lot of users and having the latest OS X versions installed — in case he needs it, and he might want to check.

And apparently it won't work with external CD/DVD Burners either. Regardless of OS version. P'd off a lot of upgrading Mac users. :(

Hmmm, I use an external Samsung CD/DVD superdrive without any issues on my MBP via USB doing anything I choose including burning DVDs, CDs and even watching movies with El Capitan 10.11.2 running the show. Ditto for watching movies on USB sticks. I edit video with Quick Time Player which also plays fine, as does VLC.

pm-r
Jan 10th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Hmmm, I use an external Samsung CD/DVD superdrive without any issues…

Hmmm… it was iDVD specifically that wasn't working for many, and specifically with external burners. Does your iDVD.app actually work with that external drive??

If so, I guess there are always exceptions… but the problem seemed to be pretty generalized using El Cap'n and iDVD with external drives.

John Sawyer
Mar 1st, 2019, 05:44 AM
We searched and found the installer for iPhoto 9.4.3 (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1650?locale=en_US).

Note that that's an iPhoto 9.4.3 updater, not a full installer--to work, it requires a version of iPhoto from 9.1 to whatever was the version just prior to 9.4.3 to already be installed on the startup volume.

pm-r
Mar 1st, 2019, 11:55 AM
Note that that's an iPhoto 9.4.3 updater, not a full installer--to work, it requires a version of iPhoto from 9.1 to whatever was the version just prior to 9.4.3 to already be installed on the startup volume.

That's a good point, But I hope they got their problem sorted out long ago as the thread is now over three years old!!!!

- Patrick
======

John Sawyer
Mar 1st, 2019, 11:18 PM
That's a good point, But I hope they got their problem sorted out long ago as the thread is now over three years old!!!!

Better late than never, I sometimes say

SINC
Mar 2nd, 2019, 01:55 AM
For the record, I much prefer iPhoto (9.6.1) over Photos (4.0) and run both versions on my MBP running Mohave 10.14.3.