: Text Messeging From iPod Touch to Android

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 08:54 AM
So since I switched to an Android phone, one of my kids can't iMessage me anymore from her ipod Touch, is there any way that anyone knows how to do this?

I tried the usual apps, WhatsApp and Messenger, but they all require a phone number to activated the app.

I hoping there is a simple app that you install and away you go, but I cannot find anything, its driving me crazy that what seems so simple and idea is almost impossible to do.

Thanks.

rgray
Jan 5th, 2016, 09:33 AM
AFAIK, iMessage is exclusive to the Apple (OSX/iOS) ecosystem.

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 09:55 AM
AFAIK, iMessage is exclusive to the Apple (OSX/iOS) ecosystem.

yes I'm aware of this, its not what I'm asking, is there anyway she can TEXT, NOT iMessage to a non apple phone?

I have found sites to get around the phone verification for whatsapp, but I couldn't get it to work.

makuribu
Jan 5th, 2016, 10:03 AM
I hunted around for sites that would allow me to send SMS messages to a phone from a computer or iPod. None of them worked in Canada. Google's messaging system would do this in the US, but not in Canada. As I recall, it would work in almost every country except Canada, so it's likely a limitation imposed by our CRTC mandated RoBUs oligopoly of telecoms.

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I hunted around for sites that would allow me to send SMS messages to a phone from a computer or iPod. None of them worked in Canada. Google's messaging system would do this in the US, but not in Canada. As I recall, it would work in almost every country except Canada, so it's likely a limitation imposed by our CRTC mandated RoBUs oligopoly of telecoms.

Crazy isn't it? I think the only solution from what i'm told by some IT people at work, that SKYPE might be my best bet.

I'll have to try it.

Paul82
Jan 5th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Facebook messenger is another option, for inter-platform messaging. The benefit being that practically everyone already has an account.

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Facebook messenger is another option, for inter-platform messaging. The benefit being that practically everyone already has an account.

I thought of that, she is to young to have a Facebook Account.

I can't believe how hard this is,
Apple and their damn own protocols....:D

macintosh doctor
Jan 5th, 2016, 03:34 PM

apple has an amazing protocol.. you are finally seeing how useless andriod is..

have you tried BBM?

fjnmusic
Jan 5th, 2016, 03:50 PM

I'd call this a defiency of the Android ecosystem rather than the Apple one. Does Android allow texting from any other brand of MP3 players?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

makuribu
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:08 PM
How about Vonage?

Free Calls, Text, and Video Chat on iPhone and Android - Vonage Mobile (http://www.vonage.com/personal/vonage-mobile-app)

pm-r
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:15 PM
I thought one could do simple basic "Texting" with almost any cellphone as long as it's available with the phone and cell company which most are.

See:
How to Send a text message with an Android cell phone « Smartphones (http://smartphones.wonderhowto.com/how-to/send-text-message-with-android-cell-phone-362942/)

https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=texting+with+Android+phone&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=3iKMVvbqCqHQ-APQ85zoCQ

makuribu
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:18 PM
The problem is sending text between a WiFi only iPod and a non-Apple phone.

I thought one could do simple basic "Texting" with almost any cellphone as long as it's available with the phone and cell company which most are.

See:
How to Send a text message with an Android cell phone « Smartphones (http://smartphones.wonderhowto.com/how-to/send-text-message-with-android-cell-phone-362942/)

https://www.google.ca/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=texting+with+Android+phone&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=3iKMVvbqCqHQ-APQ85zoCQ

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:32 PM
apple has an amazing protocol.. you are finally seeing how useless andriod is..

have you tried BBM?

yes but this just emphasizes a discussion i'm having how apple its like a drug, keeps you hooked on their product :D:D

I will have to have a look when I get home with this vonage and Skype.

but honestly this is the only headache I have encountered...I not regretting switching to android. Will I go back to and iPhone sure why not....if the PRICE is right ;)

the only reason I switch was price, hardware and how I don't have to go through iTunes to add music, pictures, apps and anything else I want on my phone oh and KODI :D

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:34 PM

See:

You're right there is NO issue texting with someone who has a Cellphone but not to a WIFI device only.

pm-r
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:44 PM
OK then, how about "Setting up your Android device to function as a Wi-Fi hot-spot…":
How to Connect a Droid to an iPad | Science - Opposing Views (http://science.opposingviews.com/connect-droid-ipad-15019.html)

And then connect the iPod/iPad to the wi-fi…

It seems to me they'd at least be connected and on the same network and bandwidth and should be able to communicate somehow… or maybe even using a wi-fi based Mac as a go-between…???

makuribu
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:55 PM
At that point his daughter can just shout at him. :)

I give my kids an iPod Touch and they can iMessage me on my MacBook Pro from dance/gymnastics because they can connect to the wifi network there. Very handy.

I haven't had to try cross platform messaging, but I think Vonage is free for wifi messaging.

OK then, how about "Setting up your Android device to function as a Wi-Fi hot-spot…":
How to Connect a Droid to an iPad | Science - Opposing Views (http://science.opposingviews.com/connect-droid-ipad-15019.html)

And then connect the iPod/iPad to the wi-fi…

It seems to me they'd at least be connected and on the same network and bandwidth and should be able to communicate somehow… or maybe even using a wi-fi based Mac as a go-between…???

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 04:58 PM

I give my kids an iPod Touch and they can iMessage me on my MacBook Pro from dance/gymnastics because they can connect to the wifi network there. Very handy.

I haven't had to try cross platform messaging, but I think Vonage is free for wifi messaging.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

shout!, I can try the tin can and sting as well, too funny!

Thanks i'll give Vonage a try if it that doesn't work she'll have to just call me. This texting is getting really annoying, what ever happened to picking up the phone and TALKING to someone?

pm-r
Jan 5th, 2016, 05:03 PM

Two cans and a thin wire might be better!! ;)

But I was thinking along the lines of your second paragraph and wondering why it can't work the same for the OP???? But I guess I'm missing or not understanding something. :o

But unfortunately these days, there seems to be a solution if one throws enough money at the problem, as everything seems to come down to money in the end…

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 05:10 PM
Two cans and a thin wire might be better!! ;)

But I was thinking along the lines of your second paragraph and wondering why it can't work the same for the OP???? But I guess I'm missing or not understanding something. :o

But unfortunately these days, there seems to be a solution if one throws enough money at the problem, as everything seems to come down to money in the end…

I think the issue is the fact that text SMS MMS go through Cell data / transmission. So any device with a cell connection will receive them.
Now iMessage being an Apple only protocol works through wifi as well as cell transmission. thats how an iPod and iPhone can text/message and FaceTime between the two.

what is needed is a service that will take the cell data and transmit it into the internet so someone on wifi or hardwire can access it.

BReligion
Jan 5th, 2016, 08:56 PM
+1 for BBM, use it daily.
I have skype, never used it for messaging but will work cross platform.

I've never used it, but there's also Whatsapp..

BReligion

pm-r
Jan 5th, 2016, 09:29 PM
I think the issue is the fact that text SMS MMS go through Cell data / transmission. So any device with a cell connection will receive them.
Now iMessage being an Apple only protocol works through wifi as well as cell transmission. thats how an iPod and iPhone can text/message and FaceTime between the two.

what is needed is a service that will take the cell data and transmit it into the internet so someone on wifi or hardwire can access it.

What I just realized is just how little I understand as to how some of this wi-fi only messaging stuff actually works.

I just checked my iPad 2 that hasn't had a SIM card installed for some years now, and the only outside world connection is via wi-fi and our Airport Express connected to our ISP's modem.

God only knows know my children's messages got to it using wi-fi only. How did they or the software know and figure out what the address for my iPad 2 was??? It sure doesn't seem to be anything unique!!

And no, it's not due to iOS 8.x or later as I read on the web, as it had been using iOS 7.1.2 for ages, and the messages worked then as well, and jailbroken then at that!!!

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Pm-r Llthey needed was your Apple ID address.

Well vonage was a no go. It needs a phone number to activate

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 10:35 PM
So it seems that BBM is the way to go. It works.

macintosh doctor
Jan 5th, 2016, 10:41 PM
So it seems that BBM is the way to go. It works.

Good
And yes I have android only for my media station for Kodi as well.
I miss the days you could jailbreak unlock apple devices.

bmovie
Jan 5th, 2016, 10:54 PM
Good
And yes I have android only for my media station for Kodi as well.
I miss the days you could jailbreak unlock apple devices.

That's why I went android. For the control. I'm tired of apple treating me like a kid. Telling me what I caan and can't do.

This android phone syncs with everything I have. Contacts noted emails Google drive. It works like my Mac.

Now that BBM works I'm all set.

iMatt
Jan 6th, 2016, 04:00 PM
God only knows know my children's messages got to it using wi-fi only. How did they or the software know and figure out what the address for my iPad 2 was??? It sure doesn't seem to be anything unique!!

How did they or the software figure it out? As long as the iPad is signed into an Apple account, then there's an email address associated with it and it will send and receive iMessages using that address. Additional or alternative email addresses can also be entered. Only internet access is needed. If their messages are blue, they're using iMessage. And you give your children the address the moment you send anything from the iPad or from another device linked to the same email address.

A wifi-only iPad or iPod can also send/receive SMS (text messages associated with a cell phone account) but you need to have a phone number from/to which to forward the messages. This was the OP's original problem -- no iMessage on Android, but no phone number for daughter.

For example, I allow my Mac and iPad to handle SMS text messages associated with my phone number. To do that, I opened the Messages preferences on my iPhone and selected Text Message Forwarding. There, all devices associated with my Apple ID are listed and can be selected. Now I can send/receive SMS on my Mac and iPad, neither of which has independent cellular network access. But for this to be possible in the first place, I must have a phone package with texting capability.

bmovie
Jan 6th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I believe that the BBM goes to Blackberrys servers and they like apples servers have their own protocols. So CELL or wifi messages go through. Now the software to install on the iPod didn't need a cell number to activate, just need to open an account with an email address to activate.

it works....and i'm happy now.

iMatt
Jan 6th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I didn't go into BBM because I was only trying to explain iMessage to pm-r. But, to extend my post: BBM is similar to iMessage (at least from the user's perspective, no doubt the back end is different), only it has apps for iOS, Android and of course BB. The lack of iMessage app on non-Apple platforms is a pretty glaring example of lock-in, personally I can't see it any other way.

bmovie
Jan 6th, 2016, 05:05 PM
the lack of imessage app on non-apple platforms is a pretty glaring example of lock-in, personally i can't see it any other way.

bang on!

BReligion
Jan 7th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I didn't go into BBM because I was only trying to explain iMessage to pm-r. But, to extend my post: BBM is similar to iMessage (at least from the user's perspective, no doubt the back end is different), only it has apps for iOS, Android and of course BB. The lack of iMessage app on non-Apple platforms is a pretty glaring example of lock-in, personally I can't see it any other way.

BBM was like that for ages until they really Blackberry had long since lost market share.
BBM is/was really just a pretty front end to Blackberry's PIN to PIN feature.

Pre "BBM" each blackberry device (not person, but physical piece of hardware) has/had a PIN. You could direct message PIN to PIN that would bypass any BES/BIS/EMail server. Essentially Texting or IMing on the Blackberry secure network device to device (Device on Cell network -> Blackberry Network -> Cell on cell network -> Device). It was pretty slick pre interenet on phones... Then they came up with BBM to allow a separate quick contact list of "PINs". For years when you changed hardware, you changed PIN's and needed to redistribute. Eventually they moved to PIN is tied to Email, but at the core of it, it's still tied to a 10 character HEX Pin (I think it's 10).

IF Blackberry still had it's dominance it did 10 years ago, you wouldn't see BBM on any other devices.

BReligion

ahMEmon
Jan 7th, 2016, 10:47 AM
There is an app called TextMe that I use on my iPad all the time. It gives you a phone number and allows you to send and receive calls and texts. The catch? ADS! But if you watch enough ads (you don't have to) you'll earn credits towards call time.

iMatt
Jan 7th, 2016, 04:59 PM
IF Blackberry still had it's dominance it did 10 years ago, you wouldn't see BBM on any other devices.

No doubt. And by implication, being strong and healthy is one think that allows Apple to keep this particular bit of lock-in instead of opening up iMessage to those outside the walled garden.

But at least since iTunes for Windows, and now with Apple Music for Android, Apple hasn't always taken the lock-in route, so I'm sure this is a very deliberate, fully considered policy.

I can't argue the benefits for Apple (my gut says it's a foolish policy, but what do I know?), but I can't see any benefits for users.

(On the other hand, lock-in made perfect sense for BB/RIM back in the day because secure messaging was the killer mobile app of the time, and platform lock-in was a big part of why it was so secure.)

IllusionX
Jan 8th, 2016, 12:18 AM
WeChat, Viber, Tango, ICQ, Skype... There are so many apps to choose from. All you need is internet on your tablet, iPod or smart phones...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

bmovie
Jan 8th, 2016, 08:49 AM
I have tried most of them, but most require a cell phone number to activate.

IllusionX
Jan 8th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Even Skype?

I'm pretty sure WeChat does not require a cell phone to activate though.

bmovie
Jan 8th, 2016, 03:54 PM
I'll check out weChat, but to be honest, BBM is working fine for what I need it for.

IllusionX
Jan 9th, 2016, 09:23 PM
If BBM is working then just use that.
All my friends have WeChat (China), Viber or WhatsApp

bmovie
Jan 11th, 2016, 08:16 AM
I just found that google has a program called Hangouts, this works perfectly, has messaging and video calling just like imessage and facetime.
so I set up that and will be using that.
the other person just has to have a gmail account.

IllusionX
Jan 12th, 2016, 09:59 PM
Yes. I didn't suggest that because you need a gmail account which you might not want to create for a kid.

bmovie
Jan 13th, 2016, 12:00 AM
Yes. I didn't suggest that because you need a gmail account which you might not want to create for a kid.

I had to create a bbm account for her....if I had known about this one instead I would have not gone ahead with the BBM, oh well live and learn

I find that this hangouts is much closer to what iMessage and Facetime are.

I wonder if there is a way to delete the BBM accounts I set up for myself and my daughter.
I won't be using this service.

IllusionX
Jan 13th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Just delete the app and stop using it?

bmovie
Jan 13th, 2016, 08:28 PM
yes I did that, but like my facebook page that I haven't used in 3years after cancelling it...I"m afraid my account will still be there.