Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Airport Express question

950 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Digital_Gary 
#1 ·
I am just wondering if its possible to use the Airport Express with a D-Link Router. Has anyone done this? Or do I need an Airport base station?

thanks

#2 ·
It depends on how you plan on using the two together. If you want the AE to extend a wireless D-link, it probably won't work (there might be hacks to make the two work together but I doubt it). If you have a wired D-link router, you can run cable from the router to the AE for wireless access.

Again, it depends on your use. If you are running cable from the D-link to the AE, just set the AE up to get it's ip address automatically and you should be fine.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Well I would like to use it to broadcast music to our sound system, I would also like to extend the wireless signal. My wireless D-Link router is on the top floor, I would like to put the Airport Express on the main floor with the sound system, and extend the wireless range into the basement.

thanks

#4 ·
Connecting to the stereo is no problem but you won't be able to extend the wireless network. I have the same problem with my setup since I have a Linksys router. I currently use my AE to connect to my stereo but I can't surf the net over wireless while doing this. It also means no streaming media through the stereo unless I leave my laptop connected to a hardwire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.