: iPad Pro™: anyone?

HenriHelvetica
Dec 20th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Has anyone scooped one yet, and if so - thoughts?

We have one @ work, and it is massive - although gorgeous. I had the NYT loaded and it almost felt like holding an actual paper. ;)

But I'm still uncertain about it's pricing and positioning in the product lineup. But if you absolutely don't want a Macbook Air, I guess this might be a good option.

H!

pm-r
Dec 20th, 2015, 02:37 PM
From several reports, it seems many are undecided where and what its position is for and it sure isn't a cheap device… For some it seems it's an ideal device, and for others maybe a yawn at best… ;)

A typical summary seems to run something like this… so I don't think it's going to be one of Apple's best selling devices… :D :o
"The iPad Pro is a peculiar device. People don’t seem to know what it’s for. Is it a sketch pad? Is it a laptop replacement? Is it a big tablet? Is it a very small table?

Turns out it’s all of these things and more. It’s a beautiful device, with a gorgeous screen, one that I’d argue outdoes the new MacBook. It has a responsive stylus. To all the naysayers that suggest Steve Jobs would roll in his grave, it doesn’t require you to use it, it’s an option, if you want to draw on it, you gigantic doofus. …"
The iPad Pro is a great device and one of Apple's greatest failures (http://thenextweb.com/insider/2015/12/18/ipad-pro-great-device-one-apples-greatest-failures/)

and
Apple iPad Pro first impressions: Signs of a true notebook-killer? – Tech2 (http://tech.firstpost.com/news-analysis/apple-ipad-pro-first-impressions-signs-of-a-true-notebook-killer-291734.html)
etc.

bse5150
Dec 20th, 2015, 03:26 PM
Apple will have to bring OS X to the tablet before I'll drop a thousand bucks on one.

Moscool
Dec 20th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I've played with one at the store in order to test the stylus – my long term aim is to take notes straight to pdf, without going through paper first.

Verdict is that the lag is minimal, but there is still a lag; making it impractical for real world note taking. On the other hand, the handwriting is neater than with any other stylus. So my take is that:

- The stylus technology will cascade down to iPad and Mini in the next 6 months
- By the time we get to processor A10 or equivalent, Apple will have sorted the lag

Makes me think of the first iPhone: great but not there yet. Only the 3 started to deliver and the 5 provided the seamless experience...

Oakbridge
Dec 21st, 2015, 01:52 AM
I picked up mine this past Wednesday. Managed to pick up a pencil and a keyboard.

Mine is a replacement for my 3rd generation iPad which was almost 4 years old. At first I had no interest in the larger screen, it was primarily the pencil that was the reason for going with the pro. I want to use it mainly for my FileMaker development, to help with screen mockups.

As a consultant, primarily databases and CRM solutions, an iPad in general is a necessity, as many of my clients use them and some of my clients are using them as their main devices. I've seen a small increase in users who are making it their primary (or only) device. I believe the Pro will eventually contribute to this number increasing.

Both of the main products I deal with (Daylite and FileMaker) have iPad versions.

This year has seen an increase in FileMaker development that included me creating iPad versions of database solutions. As more businesses realize the benefits of using an iPad with customized solutions for their business, I believe that this will continue to grow.

The biggest hesitation? Definitely the price. The Canadian exchange is really hurting. I'm just glad that Apple hasn't raised the prices even further. I'm pretty sure that right now, with exchange factored in, the iPad Pro is cheaper in Canada than it is in the States. I have a feeling that we'll see another round of price increases in the spring unless our dollar has a serious increase.

The size has taken a bit of getting used to. I'm really happy that the keyboard has familiar shortcuts including Command+Tab. It feels good to type on it. I'm a touch typist. I haven't used the split screen that much as neither Daylite nor FileMaker are split screen ready yet. I love the feel and responsiveness of the pencil but I've only got a couple of apps that support it so far including one new app (InkFlow) which I'm still learning to use.

HenriHelvetica
Dec 28th, 2015, 01:50 PM
This year has seen an increase in FileMaker development that included me creating iPad versions of database solutions. As more businesses realize the benefits of using an iPad with customized solutions for their business, I believe that this will continue to grow.

Have you seen marked change in how enterprise is approaching this?? i'm mega curious.

Oakbridge
Dec 28th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Have you seen marked change in how enterprise is approaching this?? i'm mega curious.
I'm not dealing with enterprise. The majority of my clients are 5-10 employee small businesses.

HenriHelvetica
Dec 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM
I'm not dealing with enterprise. The majority of my clients are 5-10 employee small businesses.

And how has that been ?

H!