: Need some iTunes help Here!

OldeBullDust
Dec 18th, 2015, 11:20 PM
Set-Up: Mid 2010 27 iMac, 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7, 2Tb, 12 GB Ram
Migrated from OSX10.6.8 to Yosemite 10.10.5
iTunes 12.3.1.23, iTunes media files & library is on an external G Tech 4 Tb HD
Media files 99% video = approx 1.56 Tb

Problem: Over the last 6-8 weeks, iTunes has become erratic.
Normally I open/start iTunes and it will run just fine serves Apple TV via ethernet

However iTunes has started to break - when I start iTunes it will frequently report iTunes Library 2015-0x-xx is not a valid library, and will mark it damaged and start a new empty library file - loosing the link to all my media. Ive had enough practice, I can now re-link the media quickly, but it has become very annoying.

So now, before i re-link all the files again, I want to check all the options and make sure I have everything organized as it should be.

A) I see there is an update available for iTunes 12.3.2 - anyone with experience with this?

B) Im wondering if I should ditch Yosemite & move on to El Capitan.
I hesitate because I have mostly older versions of various apps ie CS3
(BTW Everything ran perfectly under 10.6.8 - I still have it, maybe I should move back?)

Im wondering if the iTunes library files should be on the boot drive?
When iTunes creates a new library database, it puts it on the external HD along with the Media files, but not always in exactly the same place, ie. it is now located - External Drive/iTunes Two/Reserved iTunes Files/iTunes Library 2015-12-18
it was located at . External Drive/iTunes Two/Previous iTunes Libraries/iTunes Library 2015-11-11.
Is there a preferred organized layout?

My fall back may be to set up my old G4 running Snow Leopard to handle iTunes, and just leave it running constantly - have to buy another new UPS
FYI - I generally shut down each night due to less than solid electrical power and sometimes erratic internat. Previously Ive lost some equipment to power surges & lightning.

Anyway, Id like to hear your suggestions/recommendations

SINC
Dec 19th, 2015, 09:05 AM
B) Im wondering if I should ditch Yosemite & move on to El Capitan.
I hesitate because I have mostly older versions of various apps ie CS3
(BTW Everything ran perfectly under 10.6.8 - I still have it, maybe I should move back?)

Anyway, Id like to hear your suggestions/recommendations

FWIW I have a 2015 MBP 2.8 Ghz i7 with 16 GB RAM and running El Capitan 10.11.2 and I run CS3 without any issues.

OldeBullDust
Dec 19th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Thanks Don for your quick reply

Do you think El Capitan is better or more stable than Yosemite?

How about iTunes 12.3.2 - any significant problems?

I'm a bit lost here with iTunes. I've searched quite a few sites, trying to nail down this problem, however, many of the sites are older ( 2010 etc) and are focused on Music related concerns.

Too many variables to consider all at once.

SINC
Dec 19th, 2015, 12:32 PM
I'm using 12.3.2 without any issues, but I do not use iTunes the way I imagine most would. I only listen to music when I want to listen to music, never when working or surfing. That means when I play my iTunes music, I call up all my music in a list view and manually select what song I want to play by song title, then do the same for the next and the next and so on. I usually play it in my man cave in the shop so no one else has to hear it but me and have a couple of cold ones while I listen for a few hours. That only happens a couple times a month so my collection of over 2,700 songs will take me a while to get through. Bonus is I can play some Sinatra, SRV, Bing, Big Sugar, Doris Day, Mel Torme, CCR, Dean Martin, Hank Williams III and so on. In short, whatever tickles my fancy at the time. Never have used or care to use playlists or any other options in iTunes, so the versions mean little to me.

I use Toast to burn CDs of Christmas music that I gather on a few disks and then the wife plays it through the Bose player in the house when she wants that around this time of year, or her other CDs I make her all year round.

OldeBullDust
Dec 19th, 2015, 02:35 PM
I don't think I use iTunes like most others either.

I have very little music - a few that I've backed-up from my wife's iPad & some Christmas Stuff, but not much else. mainly because my hearing is not great, too much Tinnitus & some frequency loss

I do have a large-ish video collection, primarily BBC TV programs I've recorded OTA. I frequently skip the now standard stuff ( i.e. Race Around and dumb Island Antics) - I find David Attenborough for more informative.

I'm really at a loss as to why my iTunes keeps dropping the links to my media.

mgmitchell
Dec 31st, 2015, 12:21 AM
Not to bulldoze this thread but MY issue with freaking iTunes lately is the annoying "connection timeout" pop-up I get every FREAKING few minutes. I'm not DOING anything, not using anything. WTH? Anyone getting this? What's the problem? Is there a fix? Thanks.

Moscool
Dec 31st, 2015, 10:57 AM
@mgmitchell The time out usually happens when you interrupt an internet connection without warning

@OldeBullDust I would upgrade everything. You will get a message that CS3 needs legacy Java; just install it following instructions

OldeBullDust
Dec 31st, 2015, 10:59 AM
Good Morning MG

No, I haven't encountered that particular problem. - Yet!

Could you give us a few more details?
What version of iTunes / OS X?
Is iTunes on your Macbook Air?
Are you watching/listening on your computer or TV?
Is everything wireless or ethernet? Distance to TV/speakers?
If wireless, does the same thing happen if you move closer to the Apple TV?

All my connections are over ethernet, as my computer is in the basement behind a concrete wall & the TV is about 16 metres away - upstairs.

OldeBullDust
Dec 31st, 2015, 11:16 AM
@Moscool (Good Afternoon - I assume it is after noon over there :D)

I'm not sure which way to go..
Back; to Snow Leopard and previous version of iTunes - which all worked quite well, or
Forward; moving on to El Capitan & the latest iTunes.

I've read some complaints about the latest iTunes, and other complains regarding El Capitan not playing well with some external HDs.

At the moment I've stopped using iTunes altogether, - just too damn frustrating.
However, She Who Must BE Obeyed would like to play her favourite shows again, so I should fix this soon.

mgmitchell
Dec 31st, 2015, 11:29 AM
Good Morning MG

No, I haven't encountered that particular problem. - Yet!

Could you give us a few more details?
What version of iTunes / OS X?
Is iTunes on your Macbook Air?
Yes
Are you watching/listening on your computer or TV?
LIsten to podcasts and music, usually.
Is everything wireless or ethernet? Distance to TV/speakers?
Wireless. The router was set up by tech dudes for a price with Apple TV in the basement, and I'm a stone's throw from it down here in the cave.
If wireless, does the same thing happen if you move closer to the Apple TV?
Don't know.

All my connections are over ethernet, as my computer is in the basement behind a concrete wall & the TV is about 16 metres away - upstairs.

Surely it can't be my Air. I've only had it a few months, couldn't have been virused without my knowledge. Cogeo's pissing me off with the connectivity, though. I've had technicians out twice. It's not rocket science. Never had an issue with Xplornet, pissed I had to switch.
Thanks.

OldeBullDust
Dec 31st, 2015, 12:11 PM
@mgmitchell

I'm still not sure how you have thing set-up.

As Moscool says, it sounds like a connection problem, but are you loosing the internet (i.e. steaming/downloading stuff) or a wireless problem between your computer ( playing music stored in iTunes) and your Apple TV.

If it is the later, then I would suggest a wired connection (ethernet) to your Apple TV, but I'm not sure how that can be achieved with a Macbook Air.

Otherwise you might have a problem with the router (if it's a wireless connection to your computer) or poor service from you ISP (internet)

or all three :eek:

mgmitchell
Dec 31st, 2015, 01:36 PM
Thanks. From what both of you suggest, it's the sh%^&*y internet from Cogeco. Perhaps I'll have to put the squeeze on them and threaten to flip to Bell, something I dread. Previous experiences with Bell have been brutal.

polywog
Dec 31st, 2015, 02:09 PM
mgmitchell,

If it happens regularly, it may be a task that iTunes tries to complete after startup. Some items that come to mind:

Update genius.
Check for Available downloads.
Update artwork.

If you could disable those temporarily, it should tell you if it's your connection or if something else is going on? Just a though.