: New MacBook Pro.....

csonni
Nov 24th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Time to move on from my mid-2010 MBP. I'm not interested in the 15". I like the 13". I know that there are new MBP in the near future but they'll be premium price. I've been recently been checking with the prices of the newest available as well as refurbs. 15% savings is okay, but I sure would like something better. Is there any Black Friday options that Apple Canada usually puts out? I want to purchase through an Apple Gift Card which, through the airmileshops, I can presently get 10X Air Miles. Should I hold off for something on the near horizon? Does anyone know of any annual sales that come up at this time of year?

monokitty
Nov 24th, 2015, 05:33 PM
Black Friday is roughly $100-$200 in savings on computers, nothing mind blowing. Refurbs are certainly cheaper.

csonni
Nov 24th, 2015, 05:36 PM
I hear on different sites that the prices have/are coming down in lieu of possible new MBP's coming out. I haven't seen that, at least with Apple. So, they hold their prices at premium until a new revision comes out?

csonni
Nov 24th, 2015, 06:09 PM
Just check refurb compared to new on the upper lever 13". New is actually $150 cheaper than refurb at the same configuration. What gives with that?

rockisdead
Nov 24th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Just check refurb compared to new on the upper lever 13". New is actually $150 cheaper than refurb at the same configuration. What gives with that?

Where did u see that?Canadian site or US site?

fyrefly
Nov 24th, 2015, 08:34 PM
MF841LL/A is the upper level 13" MBP Retina. It's $2199 on the Canadian Site.
Buy MacBook Pro - Apple (CA) (http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-mac/macbook-pro?product=MF841LL/A)

Originally released March 2015
13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch
8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage
720p FaceTime HD camera
Intel Iris Graphics 6100

And $1869 CAD in the Refurb Site:
Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.9GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display - Apple (CA) (http://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/FF841LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display)

That's $330 less for the refurb.

csonni
Nov 24th, 2015, 09:19 PM
New at Apple for the 13" 2.9 GHz with 512 GB storage and 8 GB of RAM is $2199.
Oops. The same refurb but with 16GB of RAM and 1TB of storage is $2589. I suppose that a good deal for the jump.

I really don't want to pay Apple $600 for the upgrade to 1TB of storage. Isn't there 3rd parties out there with PCIe based flash storage?

broad
Nov 25th, 2015, 01:07 AM
No

csonni
Nov 25th, 2015, 05:47 AM
No

That's not a very broad answer, broad.....

OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCI Express SSD (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID)

broad
Nov 25th, 2015, 09:06 AM
order one and see how well it fits in your MacBook Pro I guess

broad
Nov 25th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Jokes aside the drives in those are SATA 3 blades running in some sort of proprietary software RAID 0.

OWC 480GB SSD Blade Upgrade for Accelsior &... in stock at OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDPHSETR480/)

Look at the label. It's basically the drive they sell to go into 2012-2013 MacBook Air and retina laptops in a little PCI express compatible sled. If owc offered a true PCI express blade they'd sell it standalone for the newer laptops

18m2
Nov 25th, 2015, 12:13 PM

OWC Mercury Accelsior E2 PCI Express SSD (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/PCIe/OWC/Mercury_Accelsior/RAID)

I don't understand how that will fit in your proposed MacBook Pro?

My suggestion is to buy a smaller installed SSD and then in buy an external to make up the needed space. I have a 256 Gb SSD in my MacBook and another 256 Gb external SSD that I use for data and photos. May not be optimum but it works.

csonni
Nov 25th, 2015, 04:20 PM
This whole PCIe thing is new to me. I'd much rather deal with traditional SSD but that means buying an older model. I never liked the external option as it's just extra luggage. I'm thinking a 512GB might work for me.

monokitty
Nov 25th, 2015, 04:55 PM
This whole PCIe thing is new to me. I'd much rather deal with traditional SSD but that means buying an older model. I never liked the external option as it's just extra luggage. I'm thinking a 512GB might work for me.

PCIe is the bus connection type in the Late 2013 and newer MacBook Pro models and is considerably faster than SATA connected SSD's. But what you linked to above doesn't fit nor apply to any new MBP.

Buy what you need upfront - there are no internal third-party options as of today and even if there were, they wouldn't be cheap. Samsung makes the 950 Pro PCIe SSD (doesn't work with any Mac internally, unfortunately), and their 512GB model is $549 + tax as of current pricing, more than a dollar per gigabyte.

pm-r
Nov 25th, 2015, 05:11 PM
… … …
I really don't want to pay Apple $600 for the upgrade to 1TB of storage. Isn't there 3rd parties out there with PCIe based flash storage?

Unless I'm missing or misunderstanding something here, Apple's price seems quite reasonable compared to some other possible options out there:

1TB PCIe-Based Flash Storage Upgrade for 13" & 15" MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013-Mid 2014), Mac Pro $1,199.00

PCIe-based Flash Upgrades for MacBook Pro with Retina Display: MCE Technologies (http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=mtos&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=PCIEFLASH)

iMatt
Nov 27th, 2015, 12:11 PM
Anyone have thoughts on the July 2014 vs March 2015 MBP, specifically 13"?

As near I can tell the main differences are ForceTouch, slightly better battery life and a small speed bump including faster SSD.

Is there anything else I should know about? In the refurb store the 2015s cost around 10% more than the '14s.

iMatt
Nov 27th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Welp, spent a half hour doing a little more digging (no other significant differences, at least not that are important to me), and the 2014 machine I was ready to buy sold out. Was a good deal, just over 1300 for an 8/256 model.

csonni
Nov 27th, 2015, 06:30 PM
I'm definitely considering a refurb. I don't think I'm going to wait for the new MBP's to come out (sometime between now and March?). I've heard that refurbs can be either one that has been fixed and thoroughly tested or one that was purchased and returned for various reasons. I've also heard in the past that a purchased refurb may come with a surprise of more memory that expected, a larger SSD, etc. Not sure how often that would happen. The only outward difference would be brown generic box it is packaged in. I ordered a refurb once without any evidence of wear. I sure wouldn't want one to arrive with a ding in it.

pm-r
Nov 27th, 2015, 07:25 PM
The ONLY way you'd ever get a refurbished Mac from Apple with any ding or even a tiny blemish is if it gets bashed around on the plane and somehow damaged on it's flight or during landing into Goose Bay, Labrador.

And I hope they've improved the landing strips there from some of the stories I heard from some now long retired pilots!! But I hear they're actually flying jets into there now!! ;)
:D :o

csonni
Nov 27th, 2015, 10:41 PM
I believe we've got the longest runway in all of North America.

iMatt
Nov 28th, 2015, 04:21 PM
IMO the refurb 2014 MBP's are a good value if they have them and you don't need the latest and greatest (my work isn't super computing intensive, I wanted a Retina MBP mainly for the form factor and higher-quality display than the MBA, don't really care about ForceTouch or the speed bump). Yesterday they had some, then they all disappeared. Today they're back. I assume they won't keep coming back indefinitely...

csonni
Nov 28th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Was waiting for a rightly configured i5 and found it this morning. A added feature for me as well was 2400 Air Miles which is nice since we depend on Air Miles for travel. I ended up getting the March, 2015 MBP 2.9GHz i5 with 16GB Ram and a 1TB PCIe. I kept seeing the 2014 models showing up with the same configuration but, when spending this much, I'd like to get the latest. I was actually thinking of holding out for whatever MBP is on the horizon, but that could be March and, I'm not too crazy about USB-C if Apple decides to jump ship with Thunderbolt and USB. I've got several external FW drives (for which I actually bought the Thunderbolt to FW adapter). December 11 is the scheduled date of arrival. I'll be putting my mid-2010 13 inch MBP for sale which should fetch me $600 to help pay for my new rig. It's nearly mint. I might put the Superdrive back in and give my son the Samsung SSD to refresh his mid-2010 15 inch MBP.

pm-r
Nov 28th, 2015, 05:37 PM
Just curious and I'm assuming the purchase was done at the Apple Store, but how do you get Air Miles there or did you use the Air Miles site route I just found with a google search???

Shop and Collect AIR MILES® reward miles online - airmilesshops.ca - Search By Store (http://www.airmilesshops.ca/shops/airmilesshops/SearchByStore?RetailerID=1116339450295&changeLocale=en_CA&RefererPage=AM_RetailerLogo_https://www.google.ca/_AMSSearchByStore_Apple-Store-Canada_E&chan=AM-RetailerLogo&camp=Apple-Store-Canada-Generic-https://www.google.ca/)

csonni
Nov 28th, 2015, 05:38 PM
The airmileshops as you linked. You can click on the little calculator at the top right of the store from which you want to purchase, enter the amount you plan to spend and the air miles amount will show. Apple is giving 2X the air miles until Monday, but right now there is also a Black Friday 10X on till December 2. I remember when they use to have 15X and even 30X but I haven't seen those in quite awhile.

pm-r
Nov 28th, 2015, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info, and I've never realized we had such an option and the air miles can be a real help on the pocketbook.

csonni
Nov 28th, 2015, 05:59 PM
The air miles I just got for my MBP purchase will get my daughter 2 round trips from St. john's. Mind you, taxes and fees come to about $125 but hey, that's not bad when full fare runs $800 plus.

csonni
Nov 30th, 2015, 08:16 AM
Looks like the 2015 MBP is quite a bit faster with the updated PCIe drives:

Holy smoke! The new MacBook Pro literally is twice as fast | Computerworld (http://www.computerworld.com/article/2900330/apple-mac/holy-smoke-the-new-macbook-literally-is-twice-as-fast.html)

iMatt
Nov 30th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I don't doubt that PCIe is faster than the previous SSDs, but I'm moving up from spinning plates. As long as the SSD in the 2014 MBP can open and save my files without beachballing I will be happy...

csonni
Dec 1st, 2015, 05:56 AM
According to Fedex tracking, my MBP went from Ontario to Memphis, TN yesterday. Kind of the wrong direction. I suppose it has to go to that Fedex facility first?

SINC
Dec 1st, 2015, 09:43 AM
According to Fedex tracking, my MBP went from Ontario to Memphis, TN yesterday. Kind of the wrong direction. I suppose it has to go to that Fedex facility first?

Not the wrong way at all. Ontario, California is the largest freight airport in the US and as such your MBP would route through there from Shanghai on the way to Memphis, then on to Canada. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario,_California

csonni
Dec 1st, 2015, 10:18 AM
And I thought that was Ontario, Canada! Ha!

csonni
Dec 3rd, 2015, 10:09 PM
Received my new MBP tonight. Quite a bit slimmer than my mid-2010. Having fun getting it all set up.

iMatt
Dec 7th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Love my new 2014 refurb. Slim & light, fast, absolutely silent, good battery life, nice keyboard, excellent display. Only real setup hitch was the trackpad... my settings didn't copy over properly using Migration Assistant, and there are some trackpad settings buried in the Accessibility pane of System Prefs, namely enabling dragging. Took a while to figure out why the trackpad wasn't behaving as expected.

Another annoyance I noticed was with Time Machine. When upgrading to a new machine, it would be great to be able to select an existing TM backup file to use with the new computer. As it stands, you have to create a brand new one and delete the one tied to the old computer. And when you're ready to delete that old one, it can take a good long time because TM's sparsebundle files are actually containers with thousands of individual files in them.

broad
Dec 10th, 2015, 12:33 PM
that shouldn't be the case for any machine running 10.8 or later. you should be able to just take over the old backup with the caveat that the old backup can't then be used by the old computer going forward..

Time Machine - Troubleshooting B6. "Reconnecting" to your backups (http://pondini.org/TM/B6.html)

it *should* just offer but if it doesn't the above terminal command should allow you to claim the older backup.

iMatt
Dec 10th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Thanks, nice to know for future reference. I suspect your link has an explanation for my issue:

If you get a new Mac and don't transfer your stuff as above (or don't get the prompt in item #B5), you can make your new Mac "inherit" the backups of your old one (but if your backups were made over a network, it may not work). You'll need to use the procedures in both the blue and pink boxes below.

Over a network, yup. But there is a workaround for next time...

pm-r
Dec 10th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Just curious as to how accurate the recommended site above still is (Time Machine - Troubleshooting B6. "Reconnecting" to your backups (http://pondini.org/TM/B6.html)) considering the author James Pond, as great and helpful as he was, unfortunately passed away over two years ago now, and a lot of OS X changes have happened since then:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5423015?start=0&tstart=0

Just saying… and wondering…

monokitty
Dec 10th, 2015, 04:34 PM
It really doesn't matter, honestly. If the new Mac can't inherit the backup history for X, Y or Z reason, format the TM drive and start over. Doesn't really make any difference in the long run.

CanadaRAM
Dec 12th, 2015, 07:32 PM

csonni: Good for a MacPro tower. Not good for anything else.

MCE has released PCI-e SSDs for
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)

1TB PCIe-Based Flash Storage Upgrade for 13" & 15" MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013-Mid 2014), Mac Pro: MCE Technologies (http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=MTOS&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TBPCIESSD-L13M14)

US$1200

We are talking with MCE about carrying these. Be aware that are not cheap and the Canadian dollar exchange is a killer.

broad
Dec 15th, 2015, 11:31 AM
csonni: Good for a MacPro tower. Not good for anything else.

MCE has released PCI-e SSDs for
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Mid 2013)
MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2013)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2014)
Mac Pro (Late 2013)

1TB PCIe-Based Flash Storage Upgrade for 13" & 15" MacBook Pro Retina (Late 2013-Mid 2014), Mac Pro: MCE Technologies (http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=MTOS&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TBPCIESSD-L13M14)

US$1200

We are talking with MCE about carrying these. Be aware that are not cheap and the Canadian dollar exchange is a killer.

they're not even PCI express drives...just the SATA ones in a PCI express sled. also re: the MCE drives I don't think they've actually "released" anything have they? Seems from everything I've read they're somehow selling gray market OEM samsung/sandisk drives? like i don't think there are publicly available controllers yet for the PCIe NAND are there?

iMatt
Dec 15th, 2015, 12:58 PM
It really doesn't matter, honestly. If the new Mac can't inherit the backup history for X, Y or Z reason, format the TM drive and start over. Doesn't really make any difference in the long run.

In my case it's true it was just a minor annoyance.

Might have been a somewhat bigger annoyance had I been recovering from a lost/stolen/bricked computer...

Anyway, the point is that this is one annoyance that Apple should be able to eliminate fairly easily. Hoping it won't be an issue in three or four years when I go through the process again.

broad
Dec 16th, 2015, 12:05 PM
yeah...again...apple *did" eliminate it. your anecdotal case aside (there are always going to be exceptions due to _______ reason ) macs have been able to inherit backup history for a few years now. i have seen it with my own eyes more times than i can count.

iMatt
Dec 17th, 2015, 12:00 PM
The link you provided explicitly stated it "may" not work if the backups were done over a network. Which applies to anyone with an Apple Time Capsule being used over WiFi. So I would say this is not something that Apple has fully dealt with if it doesn't "just work" in a rather common situation involving Apple hardware at every point.

That said, I acknowledge that it's possible that user error was in play at some point. Can't say for sure.