: iTunes errour message "can't find original file".

lebeau99
Nov 7th, 2015, 04:35 PM
I suddenly am getting the message when I try to open a song that iTunes can't because "the original file is longer findable". I have similar problems with iPhoto...
All this since a botched attempt to do a CCC clone of all Users folders from my old MB to MBP.
I checked this thread : " External iTunes library question" including checking the iTunes Library.itl folders. I have several, none of which has anything in it.
I'm thinking I should start over. Make a better clone of my old MB, if I can. Delete all my User files from new MBP. And attempt another clone of my User files from old MB.
How do I get safely rid of my current User folders and files on my MBP?
And how do I eliminate duplicates on the last clone of my MB? (Which I, by mistake , cloned to itself. Interesting image.)
I also got this message when I verified Disk Permissions. ATTENTION*: le fichier SUID «*System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent*» a été modifié et ne sera pas réparé.(Fairly clear I think. In short, the file was modified and won't be repaired.) Does this have anything to do with the problem?
Thanks.
David

IllusionX
Nov 8th, 2015, 01:02 PM
It looks like you moved something and not related files.

Have you tried using migration assistant instead?

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

lebeau99
Nov 8th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Thanks.
Rather than trying another clone of an earlier version of my MB backup?
And I can use Migration Assistant to move files from an external hard drive to MBP?
And rather than deleting remaining essentially useless User folder on MBP?

pm-r
Nov 8th, 2015, 06:41 PM
If you, the Finder, iTunes or iPhoto etc. are missing or just can't find what's supposed to be, try using Find Any File and see if it can't find and locate where they might be.

Find Any File
Thomas Tempelmann - Find Any File (http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/)

PS: When using FAF and searching, if need be, press and hold the Option key when clicking the Find and it will give you Root permissions for access etc.

IllusionX
Nov 9th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks.
Rather than trying another clone of an earlier version of my MB backup?
And I can use Migration Assistant to move files from an external hard drive to MBP?
And rather than deleting remaining essentially useless User folder on MBP?
I believe it migration assistant will also be able to import from a clone, or original HDD from the old Mac. If they are just backed up folders, then you will have to continue manually.

The problem I am thinking you have is your iTunes media is not stored within your library folder, so moving the iTunes library does not make your media follow..

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

pm-r
Nov 9th, 2015, 04:29 PM
I assume that the OP does know they can choose another different iTunes by holding down the option key when opening iTunes???

Choose a different one or create a new one…

But it sounds like a bit of a mess has been created and will take a bit to get things back where they should be… :rolleyes: :o

kloan
Nov 9th, 2015, 05:12 PM
This happens to me all the time. I haven't moved or changed anything, yet iTunes still forgets where some albums are.. even though all of my music is in the Music folder and stays there.

lebeau99
Nov 10th, 2015, 07:10 AM
The problem I am thinking you have is your iTunes media is not stored within your library folder, so moving the iTunes library does not make your media follow..

Seems like the right track to me, especially considering Forum input on iTunes Library.itl file. In the process of trying to reduce size of cloned file on MBP, I surely have eliminated crucial files.

lebeau99
Nov 10th, 2015, 08:32 AM
PM-RI assume that the OP does know they can choose another different iTunes by holding down the option key when opening iTunes???
I didn't but now I do and sure enough I found a library with no errour messages. Cool.
But it sounds like a bit of a mess has been created and will take a bit to get things back where they should be
That's for sure. The origin of the problem was cloning old MB to itself in CCC. That doubled the size of the User folder and made it too large to clone to the MBP and still leave some room on hard drive. I tried to overcome that by deleting duplicate folders of the MBP with the result that it's now a mess.
If I could go back to CCC and hit a command that would remove duplicate files, then I could try another clone.
Would I have to eliminate User files from MBP first though?
Thanks to forum.

pm-r
Nov 10th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I must say that was quite an accomplishment you managed to do with CCC. ;)

I'm not sure what all you have left that's "messed up", but as a long time CCC user there's not much it can't do to move and/or copy your data, and with the option to delete or keep various selections.

To do so, double check what the "cloning" or backup options are set to or create a new one, set the delete or keep option to avoid duplicates id needed, and then go through the CCC "Items to copy" list, expand the Users list as needed etc., and uncheck any of the duplicate items not needed and let CCC do its cloning thing.

It seems quite simple to me and you could do almost as you just suggested above, i.e.:(…go back to CCC and hit a command that would remove duplicate files, then I could try another clone), but maybe I'm not understanding your whole problem.

Good luck, and be very careful you don't delete any backup data until you're absolutely sure everything is working properly!!!

lebeau99
Nov 10th, 2015, 06:49 PM
There a few things in this world can't be done if you're silly enough.

Thanks a lot PM-R, once again. What you said about CCC is what I needed to know. What you've described is how to do what I felt was necessary. I will carefully attempt it.

lebeau99
Nov 12th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Update.
It turned out that the option-open iTunes trick didn't work after all. I got a view of the library without errour icons but still had the "can't find file".
Didn't matter really because I did the clone, choosing the folders I wanted to clone from users, where there were older iTunes and iPhoto libraries . It was clear and easy. I like CCC. Neither went directly to the app in the dock but I could drag and drop and iTunes store had a nice record of all my bought tunes (592)and uploaded them for me.. So now I have 2 functioning media librairies again.
The MBP track pad is a pain but I am HAPPY.
Thanks.

tech4tall
Nov 16th, 2015, 06:56 AM
If you, the Finder, iTunes or iPhoto etc. are missing or just can't find what's supposed to be, try using Find Any File and see if it can't find and locate where they might be.

Find Any File
Thomas Tempelmann - Recover Any File (http://www.iphonetransferrecovery.com/tutorials/recover-deleted-text-messages-iphone-mac.html)

PS: When using FAF and searching, if need be, press and hold the Option key when clicking the Find and it will give you Root permissions for access etc.

It's amazing. Thanks for the suggestion

pm-r
Nov 16th, 2015, 01:51 PM
It's amazing. Thanks for the suggestion

I'm glad you agree and I'd say the same thing, and don't forget it is a very reasonable priced Shareware.