: F*@K Apple (caution, rant inside)

kloan
Oct 28th, 2015, 07:41 PM
I'm getting so sick of Apple.

Mavericks, Yosemite, and now El Capitan have all introduced problems for me. This latest OS is truly a piece of crap. I'm sure it works great for a lot of you, and especially on newer equipment, but I'd swear it's designed to run like crap on older hardware so people upgrade (just like their iPhone OS - my sister's iPhone 5 is the buggiest piece of crap since updating to OS 9. Co-incidence? Doubtful)

Since updating to El Capitan my computer has been running terribly, constantly freezing, especially Safari, and I get random log outs, etc. Worst part of all is iTunes just killed my iPod. Bad enough I keep getting asked to sign into Apple Music, which I NEVER signed up for in the first place, but this goddamn piece of **** software just killed my iPod when I tried to restore it.

I JUST bought this 3rd gen iPod. The 3rd gen was my very first iPod, and I bought it for the nostalgia. As soon as I tried to copy over music though, iTunes kept crashing. It would not transfer music over properly. I have seen this before with my previous iPhone, a bug I think that has to do with transferring over music using a playlist.

Anyway, damn thing stalls when it was restoring and now my iPod won't boot past the Apple logo. The HDD just keeps clicking away. It was working just fine before I updated iTunes and attempted to restore it.

Really sick of this BS.

gwillikers
Oct 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Pretty good rant.

The iOS-ification of the Mac is concerning to many. Apple's prosumers are especially miffed at the direction things are going. Some believe that the Mac Pro will be dropped from the lineup.

I just upgraded to El Capitan a few days ago after 10.11.1 was released, and I spent hours getting Mail sorted out, getting Messages working, and sorting out a few other inconsistencies.

I still haven't touched iOS 9. I've read through various forums (Apple Discussions included) and I'm happy to wait a while longer.

The Times They Are a-Changin'

kloan
Oct 28th, 2015, 08:44 PM
It's not like I expect them to continue to release software updates, etc to support legacy hardware, but the least they could do is not release updated OSs and software that essentially kills the functionality of older generation hardware.. it's extremely frustrating for those who cannot to continually upgrade their hardware.

Meanwhile, I actually managed to get my iPod working again, sort of... and it wasn't the least bit straight-forward or easy to do.

First, I had to look up how to boot into diagnostic mode. That's done by resetting by holding menu + play/pause, then holding previous + next + select (center button). That loads the diagnostic menu where I needed to access the USB disk mode function.

But that only got me so far as to get the iPod to get past the Apple logo. iTunes would recognize it as corrupted, but would still get stuck every time I tried to install the software on it.

So somehow, after trying numerous times, I selected USB disk mode, only this time I used my USB cable instead of firewire. This allowed me to use Disk Utility to erase the iPod (I tried previously with the firewire cable and Disk Utility would get stuck).

After doing this, I again went into usb disk mode and miraculously iTunes showed the start screen for the iPod. Now it's showing it running an older version software, but Mac formatted instead (was Windows prior to this debacle).

It shows up in iTunes, lets me transfer music over, but shows the folder icon as soon as it resets. I could install the update with the USB cable, but then it tells me to plug into an external source to complete the update, which I can't do because I don't have the firewire charger for it. So I plug the firewire cable in, it seems to compete the update but then iTunes tells me there's an update available, and the cycle repeats.

gwillikers
Oct 28th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Head over to the Apple Support Community (https://discussions.apple.com/welcome) forum. You might be able to search out some helpful tips for your iPod issue.

Since the rollout of El Capitan, and iOS 9, that place is bustling. lol

kloan
Oct 28th, 2015, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I've spent hours on it now...I give up. I read numerous forum posts, did a bunch of Googling.... Since this run in with iTunes, the iPod just isn't functioning properly. Unfortunately, I don't have any other cables or computers to test it with so I guess I'll stick it in a drawer.

HowEver
Oct 28th, 2015, 10:55 PM
What cables do you need?

polywog
Oct 29th, 2015, 03:58 AM
The Times They Are a-Changin'

I do miss the "It just works" days for sure. I gave up on iPhone a few months back, and iTunes shortly after the Apple Music launch. Too many headaches and too much effort for things that.. well, just worked.

andreww
Oct 29th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I remember when Apple used to be a computer company.

pm-r
Oct 29th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I remember when Apple used to be a computer company.

You mean when it used to be a GOOD computer and software company…???? Or do I dare say EXCELLENT…???

kloan
Oct 29th, 2015, 06:27 PM
What cables do you need?

Well I'm not sure it'd make a difference, but it didn't come with any so I purchased a Griffin Firewire 800 cable for it (since my MBP doesn't have 400). It seemed to work fine until I tried to restore the iPod.

I also have a USB cable for it that seems to work for data. I only mentioned other cables because some people post responses asking if a person has tried to use another cable or computer. Honestly, I doubt it'd make a difference.

I'm thinking about ordering a CF adapter and new battery for it and seeing if I can somehow get it working again. Maybe sticking in some new parts might breathe some life into it.. though looking at how unreliably it has been working with my computer so far, it might be a waste of time/money.

If I could somehow get the proper firmware installed on it, I'd install Rockbox on it and use that instead.. but Rockbox won't install if the original firmware isn't on it first.

I think there's a way to do it using the Terminal, but I don't know how.

hexdiy
Oct 29th, 2015, 06:37 PM
If you could somehow find a fellow Mac user who still has a Mac Running Snow Leopard, I am positive you can get it working again. Hell, I have a FW iPod 3rd gen and except for a blown battery it is running OK. I've even run Senuti from it, and it can also act as a FW HDD.

kloan
Nov 1st, 2015, 06:44 PM
I installed Snow Leopard onto an external HDD and booted from it. From there I was able to successfully restore the iPod in iTunes, but I had to manually select the firmware that was originally downloaded in the other boot drive, because this older version of iTunes isn't able to connect to the iTunes server anymore, it just kept telling me I wasn't connected to the internet (so yet another d**k move by Apple to force people to upgrade).

Anyway, the iPod functions again. Unfortunately, all of the hours messing around with it trying to get it to work before has pretty much killed the hdd inside it... it clicks a lot and gets stuck. It'll boot, mount, etc but when I try to copy music over now it freezes iTunes and the iPod and I have to force reset the iPod to bring it back to life.

I'm thinking of getting a CF card adapter and CF card along with a new battery and doing a transplant. Now that I know I can get it working with the Snow Leopard OS, it might be worth the extra effort so I have a functioning iPod again.

Meanwhile, Snow Leopard is blazing fast compared to any of the newer OSs, just like I remembered it being. Even running on an external HDD via USB it's WAY faster than my SSD with El Crapitan running.

Oakbridge
Nov 2nd, 2015, 09:49 AM
Meanwhile, Snow Leopard is blazing fast compared to any of the newer OSs, just like I remembered it being. Even running on an external HDD via USB it's WAY faster than my SSD with El Crapitan running.
It should be noted that ANY operating system is going to be blazing fast when you do a clean install of it on a clean hard drive.

SINC
Nov 2nd, 2015, 11:24 AM
^

I might add that El Capitan is faster on my Mac than any version of Snow Leopard ever was, and I was a big fan of Snow Leopard in its day which is now long past.

kloan
Nov 3rd, 2015, 04:59 PM
Yeah, you guys are right... after a while it started getting bogged down and at one point crashed entirely and won't boot anymore. I've had a few kernel panics with El Capitan, but it still seems faster opening finder windows, apps, etc. Nearly all of the problems I experience with this OS is with Safari.