: El Capitaine GM?

mitched
Sep 10th, 2015, 11:14 AM
Last evening I received an email that the GM of the new Mac OS was available to me as a beta tester. I am being told to go to Purchased Software and click in the El Capitaine GM. The only problem is that it is not there. Has anyone else who has been testing the new OS encountered this problem?

kevkwas
Sep 10th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I got sort of the same problem. I have El Capitan, Version 10.11 Beta (15A278b) on my iMac now. In my App store, Purchase, it says, OS X EL Capitan GM Candidate is downloaded, but its not anywhere on the iMac. Is it possible to reset this??

monokitty
Sep 10th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I got sort of the same problem. I have El Capitan, Version 10.11 Beta (15A278b) on my iMac now. In my App store, Purchase, it says, OS X EL Capitan GM Candidate is downloaded, but its not anywhere on the iMac. Is it possible to reset this??

Hold down the Option key while selecting the Purchases tab.

kevkwas
Sep 10th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Hold down the Option key while selecting the Purchases tab.
Option key, didn't work saved my copy from MBA and its updated. Kind weird

West Coast Boy
Sep 10th, 2015, 04:05 PM
I ran into a problem with it showing up as downloaded, turned out it was the installer on one of my external drives from the original public beta that it was seeing. Once I disconnected the external drive it was showing up as available to download.

pm-r
Sep 10th, 2015, 06:21 PM
I don't know if they are the same builds or not but Apple apparently pulled the first of the latest builds from the Developer Portal when they discovered it was the wrong version. Apparently fixed now, but maybe a bit of a mixup for some of you bata testers.

Sure hope it works better "for the rest of us" when it's released!!!!!

kevkwas
Sep 10th, 2015, 07:44 PM
I ran into a problem with it showing up as downloaded, turned out it was the installer on one of my external drives from the original public beta that it was seeing. Once I disconnected the external drive it was showing up as available to download.

That was the problem, disconnected my external HD and all went well.
Thanks, very solid update for me:-)

mitched
Sep 10th, 2015, 09:09 PM
My problem appears to be connected to the fact that in my Purchased Software page it shows that Yosemite needs to be downloaded even though I am running 10.5.5. I tried that download but the install hung up when my laptop tried to startup. I shut it down and restarted and everything's back to normal running 10.5.5. The Purchased page still shows that Yosemite has not been downloaded. I guess that I will simply wait until El Capitain is finally released.

Moscool
Sep 11th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Worked well on two machines here. I was running the public beta 6.

Slightly puzzled why we should go to the trouble of downloading a 6Gig GM instead of an update but maybe it's a 'tradition' to do a full install when reaching GM.

Anyway, saved the installer to a HD to install on all the office machines.

Since I removed Sophos The Captain has been running very smoothly and snappily.. ;)

HenriHelvetica
Sep 14th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Since I removed Sophos The Captain has been running very smoothly and snappily.. ;)

? - what is that?

hexdiy
Sep 14th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Sophos is an anti-virus package
- you definitely don't need on a Mac (not viruses, but adware packages are getting problematic now on OSX, you can get rid of those by installing Malwarebytes Mac by Thomas Reed, great tool formerly known as AdwareMedic). https://www.malwarebytes.org/mac-download/
- which obviously will not (yet) play nice with El Capitan, and might even be harmful if you try to run it on El Capitan as for now. I doubt it will already properly cooperate with Yosemite even.

hexdiy
Sep 14th, 2015, 09:04 PM
And let Sophos ltd. speak for hemselves here:https://community.sophos.com/products/free-antivirus-tools-for-desktops/f/17/t/9790
Anyhow, El Capitan is still in beta, too.
And lets not forget that in El Capitan the whole usual OSX escalation to Root level privileges ( of both (admin) users and apps) has been fundamentally redefined. In prospect this seems to be kind of a structural break or quantum leap in OSX. Software devs will not know what has hit them for some time to come, so to speak.

Moscool
Sep 18th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Sophos is an anti-virus package
- you definitely don't need on a Mac (not viruses, but adware packages are getting problematic now on OSX, you can get rid of those by installing Malwarebytes Mac by Thomas Reed, great tool formerly known as AdwareMedic). https://www.malwarebytes.org/mac-download/

Installed it and it found 3 unwanted ad garbage thinggies + an undesirable Chrome file which had not been removed when I got rid of Google's spyware...