: safari freezing when saving a bookmark

wonderings
Jul 27th, 2015, 09:52 AM
I am having a problem with Safari on my 5k iMac running Yosemite 10.10.4 with Safari 8.0.7

I normally click and drag a link to a specific book mark folder in safari, done this for years. I just noticed today when I was trying to put a bookmark in the right folder that it would lock up Safari (spinning beachball). I ran disk utilities, repaired permissions, verified the disk, everything looks good. Also restarted the iMac, restarted Safari, etc etc. This also happens if I just click and drag the website to the bookmarks bar to add a new one.

I have a mac mini running same OS and same Safari versions, and this does not happen there, so it is something related to my iMac. What else can I check here? I am saving screen shots at the moment of the info I need.

eMacMan
Jul 27th, 2015, 10:18 AM
Does the issue persist if you create a fresh user account and try it there?

wonderings
Jul 27th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Does the issue persist if you create a fresh user account and try it there?

I should have mentioned I tried that and it did not follow. The problem has gone away now after a 4th restart. Not sure what I did differently, I was sure to quit all the applications, just just hit the red button. Also when restarted it was not set to open what I had open before. Was about to try and remove AdBlock as that is the only thing that is different about Safari on my iMac and the Mac Mini. All is well now... for now.

eMacMan
Jul 28th, 2015, 09:45 AM
The traditional solution would have been to reset Safari. I seem to recall reading that one of the latest improvements removed this option. Alternatively you could burrow into your Home>Library>Caches and delete the Safari cache and Home>Library>Preferences and delete any *Safari.plst files. You would probably have to use EasyFind to do a search on your home folder to find those files as I understand they are now hidden by default.

wonderings
Jul 28th, 2015, 09:58 AM
The traditional solution would have been to reset Safari. I seem to recall reading that one of the latest improvements removed this option. Alternatively you could burrow into your Home>Library>Caches and delete the Safari cache and Home>Library>Preferences and delete any *Safari.plst files. You would probably have to use EasyFind to do a search on your home folder to find those files as I understand they are now hidden by default.

Will try that if the problem pops up again, thanks!