Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Smoke Discoloring

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  interact 
#1 ·
There is a yellowish color on the white parts of an iMac that I'm considering.

1) Does anything remove this?

2) What other parts of the computer are affected by a smoke environment?

I'd like to hear from people that have tried removing the discoloration.

Thanks.

[ October 14, 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: interact ]

#3 ·
I'm really, really fussy about the discoloration. This is an older G3 and I'd like to add it to my collection, so looks matter.

Did you successfully remove all the yellow?

(Yes I'm talking about tobacco smoke.)

[ October 14, 2004, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: interact ]

#5 ·
I don't think that the interior is affected much at all by a smoking environment. In order for the smoke to get inside the case there would have to be a fan blowing in (unless the computer was smoked around constantly while not powered up). All my macs blow air out. I would be pretty pissed if they didn't. Although my pc at work has a fan that sucks air in. It gets rediculously dirty.

If you wan't the most cleaning power for your buck then you should ask at the counter of your local pharmacy for a bottle of 99% isopropyl (alcohol). It costs very little and you won't need to use much. And when you're done you will have lots of this wonderful cleaner left to clean almost anything (I work with plastics and vinyl every day and I can garuntee you it will not harm your computer case). It also doubles as a fool proof way to fix a keyboard that has had a bad spill.

just a side note:

I don't know what type of plastic iMacs were made from but if it is polycarbonate then the yellowing is almost inevitable. Polycarb goes yellow from UV exposure. If the computer is in any direct sunlight and is made of polycarb then it will go yellow.

has anyone ever seen a cracked iMac case? If so then it would not be a polycarbonate or could be a mix.

#6 ·
Good idea - isopropyl would probably work just fine.

I can see inside the iMac and there's crap/dust/dirt everywhere. Keep in mind, if the mac is blowing air out one end, it's sucking air in another.

This is incredibly intense yellowing and the computer smells a bit like cigarettes. I would guess this isn't a sunlight problem.

#7 ·
I remember I took my G3 tower in to a place to get it fixed once (okay, I'll tell--it was CPUsed), and when I got it back it reeked of cigarette smoke. :rolleyes:
Luckily, it was already beige...

I know that won't help with your problem, but sometimes I just need to talk about these things with people who understand...

#8 ·
I blew smoke around my G5 once, just to see if it would suck up the smoke and spit it out the back, which it did, although just clear air came out the back.

My point is tho, there are two cat-scratch marks on one side of the case! My old roommate's cats were far too curious, and probably would have clawed it more had there not been a blanket covering it. You can clearly see the four parallel lines, and nothing I've come up with will get them out. They seem to have dug right into the metal, but not too deeply. Any ideas on how to fix that?!?!?

#10 ·
A little Spray 9. Use carefully. It cleans anything. Get it at CDN Tire. I have used this to spruce up old stuff I have bought second hand. Don't smoke around computers. Any electronic device acts as a magnet to smoke. The static charge pulls the particles in. You won't see this. Avergae particel size is less than .25 micron.

#11 ·
What about Windex wet wipes. They work will for everything else, like black mark off powerbook screens. They'll take smoke off car windows. Package says they're safe for everything, I haven't found a problem application yet. You're not spraying any liquid near your computer and your pressure determines force.

Cat scratch fever: do the rock and roll thing and get the cats to scratch the other side so it looks like you did it on purpose. (Took me ages to train my cat not to jump onto my lap..top.)

#12 ·
For yellowed cases I've used "Fantastik" with some success.
The interior of some computers will have dust bunny build up
from a smoking enviroment, Some computers, Meaning the ones
that have a fan.

Screens are a little bit harder to clean and I'd get a cleaner that
is made for cleaning screens, Staples or some other type store
should have the cleaner you need.

I've found that smoking outside keeps my computers clean.

Dave :cool:

#14 ·
I'd use solvents, myself. Benzene, Xylene, Toluene, other Paint Thinners, Turpentine even. Be careful though, some can be VERY damaging to plastics, while others are harmless. Like they always say on the box: "Test on a small, inconspicuous area first."... and if it starts to dissolve the plastic, time to try a different one! However, I have no doubt that every single one can wipe that tobacco-smoke-stain off with minimal effort.

#18 ·
Having had the experience, in a previous life, of having to clean, refurbish, and repair a few hundred thousand dollars worth of electronics after a fire (smoke damaged goods) I suggest what we used to clean plastics and metal:

Bon-Ami (foaming aerosol spray cleaner) and some paper towels.

Get it anywhere, probably cheapest at your grocery store. Works awesome. and won't damage plastics or metals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.