: Pixelmator: slooooooowwwww

blackbook
Apr 27th, 2015, 12:42 AM
What happened to Pixelmator running so slowly that it's not even workable?

I have 8GB RAM on a new Mac Mini and it takes forever to open a batch of 100 images, freezes and I can't move anywhere once that happens.

I read on a forum that there's a 3.3.2 beta version but don't know how to access it.

Additionally, when opening this batch of files a second time, I opened Chrome and tried browsing and the whole system froze.

I've been to the Genius Bar twice for other issues and they insist it's an OS issue. I don't know why I can't seem to do any real work on this system!!!! The top bar disappeared so I had to do a hard shut down since I didn't have an apple logo on top or menu options.

Is anyone else experiencing Pixelmator as useless within the past month or so? What has helped?

CanadaRAM
Apr 27th, 2015, 03:05 AM
What has changed on your machine?
Did you upgrade to Yosemite recently? Various users have reported slow downs. One suggestion is to backgrade to 3.2.x
Pixelmator - all layer functions running too slow (http://support.pixelmator.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11730)

blackbook
Apr 27th, 2015, 01:47 PM
What has changed on your machine?
Did you upgrade to Yosemite recently? Various users have reported slow downs. One suggestion is to backgrade to 3.2.x
Pixelmator - all layer functions running too slow (http://support.pixelmator.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11730)

Thanks, I'll try that. As well, Pixelmator replied and gave this option which I'll try first rather than backgrade:

Here's the link to download Pixelmator 3.3.2 Beta:

http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/Pixelmator-3.3.2.zip

blackbook
Apr 28th, 2015, 12:58 AM
3.3.2 Beta improved it, but multitasking Chrome, opening a batch of photos in Pixelmator and looking through Finder was still as slow as my 2006 Macbook, with some freezing but not was badly as before.

ldphoto
Apr 28th, 2015, 09:39 PM
I'm not sure about the size and resolution of your photos, but opening a batch of 100 photos can be pretty significant, especially if they are RAW files. It sounds generally like you're having more generalized issues. Whether it's and OS issue or not, it's still up to the Apple Geniuses to fix it. Doesn't the warranty cover the whole thing, including OS?

CubaMark
Apr 29th, 2015, 01:01 PM
FYI

Pixelmator for Mac adds Force Touch pressure-sensitive painting, even better Repair Tool, more | 9to5Mac (http://9to5mac.com/2015/04/29/pixelmator-for-mac-adds-force-touch-pressure-sensitive-painting-even-better-repair-tool-more/)

blackbook
Apr 29th, 2015, 11:19 PM
I'm not sure about the size and resolution of your photos, but opening a batch of 100 photos can be pretty significant, especially if they are RAW files. It sounds generally like you're having more generalized issues. Whether it's and OS issue or not, it's still up to the Apple Geniuses to fix it. Doesn't the warranty cover the whole thing, including OS?

Yes, they're RAW files. Yes, the warranty covers the whole thing but the Genius Bar are convinced it's just software and don't seem very keen on me returning or exchanging it for a MB Air :( If I complained enough, would they even do that being that I bought it in November?

ldphoto
Apr 29th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Yes, they're RAW files. Yes, the warranty covers the whole thing but the Genius Bar are convinced it's just software and don't seem very keen on me returning or exchanging it for a MB Air :( If I complained enough, would they even do that being that I bought it in November?

No but they need to fix the software problem. If they attempted to fix it repeatedly and failed, you have have a case in small claims court if they will not buy it back or replace it with an working identical model.

eMacMan
Apr 30th, 2015, 10:51 AM
Given that 4GBs is barebones to run the OS and maybe your browser and eMail, and that 100x12 MP files will require ~5 GBs of RAM all by themselves. I would suggest that 8 GBs is probably inadequate for your usage.