: Late 2008 15" Macbook white screen ok on external

Keith Ruhl
Apr 5th, 2015, 04:25 PM
I have a late 2008 macbook Pro unibody.
It boots up on an external monitor but the lcd screen on the laptop is pure white. No icons.
I tried 2 other lcd screens from working 15" macbooks but they display a pure white screen as well.
I checked the connector on the logic board and it doesn't look damaged.
So far no one has an answer for me.
I need some input please.

Dr_AL
Apr 5th, 2015, 05:22 PM
Graphic card failure?

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

Keith Ruhl
Apr 5th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Would a reflow work?
Has anyone else had a white screen like this?
If it was the video chip why would it still work on an external screen?

IllusionX
Apr 5th, 2015, 08:34 PM
AFAIK, the 08 unibody were not affected with the graphic card failures. So, a reflow is likely not doing anything.

Keith Ruhl
Apr 5th, 2015, 08:42 PM
So strange. Everything on it functions normally. Usually it is a backlight issue but this is a bright white screen.

CubaMark
Apr 5th, 2015, 09:33 PM
So the bootup process doesn't show the Apple logo? Command-S to enter command-line mode still gives you a white screen?

A PRAM reset didn't help?

Keith Ruhl
Apr 5th, 2015, 10:09 PM
Only shows on external monitor.

CanadaRAM
Apr 26th, 2015, 02:47 AM
Graphic card failure?

If it was a graphic card failure, I am guessing we wouldn't expect to see the external Mini DisplayPort video working. So reflow wouldn't be indicated.

Backlight is working so it isn't a backlight power issue

My bet would be a broken or disconnected ribbon cable to the LCD panel.

rgray
Apr 26th, 2015, 07:03 AM
My bet would be a broken or disconnected ribbon cable to the LCD panel.

Mine too....

Keith Ruhl
Apr 26th, 2015, 08:14 AM
I would agree except that when I connect another known working screen and good cable it acts the same. White screen.

rgray
Apr 26th, 2015, 09:04 AM
I would agree except that when I connect another known working screen and good cable it acts the same. White screen.

Is this on on external monitor AND another laptop screen? It is not clear to me which you are trying to use?

Keith Ruhl
Apr 26th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I have 2 spare 15" Macbook screens that I know work but are white when hooked up to this particular macbook. The external monitor when hooked up is fine. Nobody can figure this one out including me???

Dr_AL
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Faulty connection on the logic board if each screen you have has their own cables.

Otherwise faulty cable if you are using the same one.

Sent from my iPhone using Crapatalk

Keith Ruhl
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:37 AM
That's my thinking. I wonder if I reflowed the connector it may fix the problem. Dam this lead free solder.

CanadaRAM
Apr 26th, 2015, 02:21 PM
It boots up on an external monitor
Wait, what?

So I see from a later post that you mean the Known Working screen you refer to is another MacBook Pro LCD, which you hooked up with a known good cable. Now we need to guess if it is the correct model of screen for this particular model of MacBook Pro.

Please don't trickle out the facts to us, it's frustrating to waste time guessing. You'll get better help if you clearly describe all of the symptoms and what you have tried for troubleshooting up front.

Keith Ruhl
Apr 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM
The macbook is a late 2008 unibody. The screen is from another of the same. Same result bright white screen. I should be seeing a folder with a question mark right now as there is no hard drive. I also tried one from a mid 2009 with the same result.
So:
-original screen bright white
-display on external monitor ok
-tried good mid 2009 screen bright white
-tried second screen form a second working 2008 macbook screen bright white.
You tell me

Keith Ruhl
Apr 26th, 2015, 03:24 PM
MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.53 15" (Unibody) 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo (T9400)

Intro. October 14, 2008 Disc. March 3, 2009
Order MB471LL/A Model A1286 (EMC 2255)
Family Late 2008 ID MacBookPro5,1
RAM 4 GB VRAM 512 MB*
Storage 320 GB (5400 RPM) Optical 8X DL "SuperDrive"

GlassOnion
May 2nd, 2015, 09:49 PM
If you have access to a working MBP 15" 2008/2009 you could check the LVDS socket with a multimeter in diode mode (charger and battery disconnected, red probe on ground and black probe on each pins of the socket), write down the values et do the same readings on the faulty socket. There could be problem with one of the data lines. Try to find your logic board schematic online and you'll then have access to the socket architecture and you'll be able to identify the data lines. Also check inside the socket for any damage, black spot, short circuit. Be aware that a faulty LVDS socket can damage a working LCD panel while testing the circuit.