: The Dock and Quitting Apps

csonni
Mar 26th, 2015, 10:19 AM
Not sure if this is an issue that others get frustrated with but I do. When right clicking a running app in the Dock, the only option I get for quitting is Force Quit. When clicking on the app to bring it to the front, I can then right click and then quit or quit from the Apple Menu. I've noticed this behaviour for quite some time but I'm not sure if it began in Yosemite or not. Anyone else having this issue?

IllusionX
Mar 26th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Could it be you have stuck Option key?

pm-r
Mar 26th, 2015, 01:35 PM
Could it be you have stuck Option key?

+1. Good one. ;)

Or, try holding it and/or the control key with various left-clicks and right-clicks in case some erroneous key mapping has taken place.

eMacMan
Mar 26th, 2015, 02:56 PM
A stuck option key would make itself known when the OP was πøߥˆ˜© (that last bit was posting with the option key held down).

control clicking on a dock icon with Snow Leopard gives no problems, would have to dig out the M$ mouse to see if right click is OK but suspect it is.

pm-r
Mar 26th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Hmmm… it seems that csonni is deserving some HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES today!!

So HAPPY BIRTHDAY csonni!! ;)

And maybe a solution to your problem would be nice.

csonni
Mar 27th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the birthday wishes!
I don't think it would be a stuck Option key. When I click on Go in my Apple Menu with the Option key depressed, I get the Library to show up. When not depressing Option, it doesn't show. That would rule out the Option key, no?

pm-r
Mar 27th, 2015, 01:06 PM
Have you got another mouse you can try???, and/or, if you're using a non-Apple mouse, double check any System Preference you might have for it.

csonni
Mar 27th, 2015, 09:42 PM
I'm using the Apple Magic Mouse. Not a lot of preferences with that.

pm-r
Mar 27th, 2015, 11:39 PM
I'm using the Apple Magic Mouse. Not a lot of preferences with that.

And no other mouse software that could be messing some settings up I gather???

Just checking… ;) :D

Luckysod
Mar 27th, 2015, 11:53 PM
I have the same issue now with Yosemite. I didn't have it with Mavericks. No stuck keys here, either. It's odd, but I just go ahead and force quit, as bringing the app up and then quitting takes longer.

csonni
Mar 28th, 2015, 07:06 AM
I would say that a click is a click as far as a mouse and the dock is concerned. I don't see how any mouse settings would either produce a quit or force quit.

IllusionX
Mar 28th, 2015, 07:48 AM
What happens when you control click the dock icon?

Luckysod
Mar 29th, 2015, 03:57 PM
I should've added to my post that I don't use a mouse, just the track pad. I get Force Quit in the dock whenever an open app has been sitting idle for quite a while.