: Re-Imaging software

WSpano
Aug 26th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Okay, does anyone have any suggestions for a good re-imaging product for macs? I'm working at a school that has recently had their macs all trashed from a stupid teacher giving away the admin account name and password.

Basically I'm looking for the Mac Equivalent of Sysprepping a machine and then Ghosting it.

Carl
Aug 26th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Sysprep is an SQL program and Ghosting is a Windows term, but if you are trying to backup an image of a OS X hard drive, then Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html) is your best bet.
You can preserve images of folders, such as the user account using OS X's built in disk image utility, but it will not back up the invisible or locked files in the OS core.
If you are using 9, then it is much easier. You can make a disk image of the drive.

WSpano
Aug 27th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Heh, I know what Ghosting is, I don't know what an equivalent Mac term would be, and to 'sysprep' a machine is a Windows 2K/XP term and program that removes the SID and 'reseals' the machine without any machine specific identifiers.

This then allows me to put the image on to any number of machines (with the same hardware) turn it on, rename it and join it to the domain in no time.

CCC looks like a good option to create a local back up of each individual machine after it's at a freshly installed 'clean' state. Thanks for the tip, however anyone with any other suggestions would be most appreciated.

WSpano
Aug 27th, 2004, 05:35 AM
However, the site does have some useful how-to articles and I shall look into those, so thanks again for the site.

Carl
Aug 29th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Your are right about sysprep, I was thinking of something else.
Sounds like you are new to Mac, and I made the comment about ghosting, because no one who uses a Mac (only) uses that phrase. No offense.
You should do a search on versiontracker (http://www.versiontracker.com), for future reference.
CCC is your only alternative(handles the permissions in the unix core well), except for maybe synchronise pro (overpriced) or perhaps Retrospect (not exactly useable as a boot image). As far as creating mirror images, it is pretty bleak right now.