: New iBook keeps crashing...

Dec 31st, 1969, 08:00 PM

mikef
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:12 PM
Just bought a 12" iBook G4 yesterday and been putting it through it's paces (I am a PC user, so this is all new territory to me).

I am finding some strange crashes happening which appear to be related to Expose. If I have a few apps open and use any of the three Expose keys, it will occasionally hang the Finder (is that the right term?). Initially the Finder is unresponsive, but the mouse cursor still moves. Then a few seconds later, it freezes solid (I can tell by iTunes stops streaming to my Airport Express)

If I don't touch the Expose buttons, everything works perfectly (I've tried ALL of the bundled apps, loaded pics from the digital camera, web, streamed stuff off the web, etc). I don't think it's a hardware flaw.

Any comments?

NBiBooker
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:50 PM
Are you using 3rd party ram?

TroutMaskReplica
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:55 PM
some thoughts/suggestions:

- did you order the book with extra ram or have extra ram put into it?

- download and run onyx. do a google search for 'onyx mac os x' and you should find it. run the maintenance scripts and the stuff in the 'cleaning' tab.

- have you installed any third party software?

- run 'Activity Monitor' in the Utilities folder - look for anything that's running that shouldn't be or is consuming more resources than it should.

- is there any particular app that is running each time the finder hangs? i know you said the finder would hang if you had several apps open at once, but is there a particular app that has been 'at the scene of the crime' each time?

- you could reinstall the OS since you don't have much invested in it yet.

TroutMaskReplica
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:56 PM
run software update and update your os and apps to the newest versions.

Kristin Green
Aug 21st, 2004, 02:57 PM
Have you loaded any third-party software (or software for external devices) since you got the PowerBook? I would look for anything that uses the F Keys.

mikef
Aug 22nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
First off, thanks to everybody for the barrage of helpful replies smile.gif

I do not have 3rd party ram installed. I have installed all of the updates and the only software I have installed is Firefox, MSN Messenger, and a few other small apps.

I did run Onyx to repair the permissions after I first experienced the problem and (fingers crossed) haven't seen the crash again although I haven't been flailing about on the Expose keys like I was when I first saw the crash.

I'll keep on it and check for the apps running in the background to see if there's a pattern. I would rather not reinstall the OS yet.

Gretchen
Aug 22nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Have you loaded any third-party software (or software for external devices) since you got the PowerBook iBook isn't it? :confused:

With both my PBzzzz I did clean installs there is just something about a factory install that just seem off. Not sure what, but things just seem better when there is a new, fresh OS then the updates. ;)

As well, being a Windows user make sure the iBook isn't to close the 'PC'that may be making it nauseous... graemlins/lmao.gif

Kristin Green
Aug 22nd, 2004, 01:27 PM
iBook isn't it? Ya, it's a sign of an old school mac geek. Back in the day, they were all PowerBooks. ;)

mikef
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Just to follow up, the problem still seems to occur however with less frequency than before (since I repaired the permissions). I am hoping that I don't have to reinstall Panther, but it might just be the only option...

It has only crashed once since I used OnyX to repair the permissions.

mikef
Aug 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Second followup: there's a very long thread on this exact problem at the MacNN forums. At least I am not alone...

[ August 24, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: mikef ]

mikef
Sep 8th, 2004, 12:37 PM
Apparently my problem is different from the one documented at MacNN and the Apple Discussion forums...

My 16 day old iBook is in being serviced as of this morning :(