: Can an external FW drive screw up built in USB?

JAMG
Aug 11th, 2004, 12:17 PM
The only recent change I have made lately is adding a Bytecc ME-320 enclosure w/Western Digital 120gig drive.

Suddenly, the USB connection to my mouse & keyboard started going off and on. Pulling the USB cable from the back of the G4 400 {Graphite Gigabit} and pluging back in made it work again.

I ran Disk utility from the Panther install disk - Said everything was OK.
Then ran just about everything in OnyX. It has not happened since then, but that's when I went to bed last night. Happens most while my nephew was playing Quake 2. {maybe PEBKAC}
I'll see as the day goes.

Anyone hear of similar problems w/ FW enclosers or might the need for system maintenance have been the problem?

And does anyone know how repairable the built in USB ports are?
Is PCI card with USB ports an good option?

Thanks

monokitty
Aug 11th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Unlikely that an external FireWire hard drive could destroy or damage the built-in USB ports, but who knows. If the port does die (or already is dead), adding a USB PCI card is the best option - the only way to fix a dead on-board USB port is to replace the logic board with one which has its USB ports working - not a great option.

_Outcast_
Aug 11th, 2004, 12:29 PM
I just purchased an IOGear USB 2.0 card for my Quicksilver from TigerDirect for $20.99. Haven't installed it yet but it says it's Mac compatible in OS 8.6 and up including Panther.

May be an option if your internal ports are fried.

JAMG
Aug 11th, 2004, 12:49 PM
I've been online for about an hour with no problem. Less than 3 minutes into Quake2, it happens again. Replugging brings it back right away but given the location of the ports it sucks to do.

I have added USB to old Beige G3 but it had a problem under OS9 in that if you boooted with extensions off, the usb Mouse was not available...

Is there any similar roadblocks under OS X?

BTW, I have played hours on end in Quake2 under this setup since adding the FW drive, so I can't see that really related, but...

Thanks for the responses. ;)

JAMG
Aug 17th, 2004, 03:38 AM
Offline suggestions followed were a powered USB2 Hub which did nothing and installing the mentioned IOGear USB2 Card {Best Buy Bramalea City Centre $19.90} Problem still exists....

That slap on the forehead you might have heard was me seaching Apple discussion forms and finding a thread describing my problem...

D'uh... My mouse developed a short which kickes off the USB port. Brought home an old mouse from the office and all seems well.

Time to buy a new Mouse... Apple Mice are $58ish... I have always used a 1 button Mouse, but am not afraid of trying something else...

Any recomendations?

MACSPECTRUM
Aug 17th, 2004, 08:19 AM
Any recomendations?
MS mouse from Best Buy.
$30
optical, 2 button with scroll wheel

I'll never go back to a one button mouse