: 10.3 user account problems

zer0army
Aug 10th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I have run into what seems to be a serious problem with my user account. I am running 10.3.4 and have an uptime of about 5 days since my last reboot. I was attempting to make some changes in system prefs when I got the usual "click the lock to make changes" prompt box. I knew something was wrong right away since my user name was not already filled in the "Name:" field. I manually typed in my username and password. No go, it was rejected. Tried several more times, using both my Name and Short Name and no I didn't have caps lock on.

At this point I figure I might have a permissions problem, I attempt to run Cocktail but at lunch when I am prompted with the username and password field, my username is already filled in and not modifiable. The problem being, its not my username. In place of my username is "501" whatever that stands for, but this is defiantly not my username.

Not that I know what I'm doing in the terminal I decide to launch it and see what it gives me. the window opens with this:

http://img30.exs.cx/img30/3295/6241.jpg

Which I know is not normal.
Tried the sudo command and receive this, which I know is not right either.

http://img30.exs.cx/img30/4213/6242.jpg

So I'm basically left here scared to reboot my machine in fear that I will be locked out of my files.
Feels like a few years ago on windows before I switched. :eek:

andreww
Aug 10th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Hey Zero, What system pref were you trying to change? What type of machine do you have? My suggestion would be to creat a new account with admin priviliges. Then move all your files into the Shared folder in the Users folder. Set your mac so you have to login at boot up. At least that way if you are locked out of your account you will still have access to your files.

PS, thanks again for dropping off the headphones! How are you enjoying your Airport?

zer0army
Aug 10th, 2004, 09:28 PM
andrew,

The problem machine is a Dual 1.8 G5. I was trying to make a change in "Energy Saver" in system preferences when I first noticed the problem. I don't think this is what caused the problem since I never really got passed the password prompt. This was just the first time I noticed my username and pass no longer worked. I think I'm going to try the new user account idea. Right now I'm looking into DiskWarrior to see if that could do anything for my problem.

Thanks for your advice

PS: Glad to hear the headphones are working out for you. The Airport was for a friend, and yes he is loving the net on his mac now (had to use a PC for internet before).

andreww
Aug 10th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Just be careful how you do things. Ive had experiences where I have not been able to access after Diskwarrior. Just back up your data before attempting directory repairs. I wont kid you, it sounds like you have a serious problem. Speaking from experience, OSX directories can be very fragile, and everything can disappear in a flash. Just this last I had my G5s startup partition vanish. Even after running every utility available I was not able to launch it. I had to erase the partition and restore from my back up.

Hank
Aug 10th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Have you tried to boot up in single user mode or safe mode?