: HP Photosmart 7760 troubles...

RC51Pilot
Aug 8th, 2004, 11:52 PM
My parents have an HP Photosmart 7760. I'm trying to install it on their new eMac and the problem is that when they send a print job to the printer, it tells them that the printer is halted and of course nothing happens. When you open the printer utility and resume the jobs, it thinks about it for a minute and then halts them again. It also crashes Mail and iPhoto. I assume it might cause grief in other applications as well but I didn't bother trying that. The thing that bothers me is that if you print a test page from the printer utility it works. Now I think what's happening here is that the computer only sends a command to the printer and the test page data resides on the ROM of the printer.

So I'm thinking maybe a cable problem or a driver problem. I beleive their driver was 2.3.5 and I'm downloading 2.3.7. I would have done that at their place but they are on dialup and it was 87M's.

Does anyone else have any experience with this printer and OS X? I'm hoping the driver will solve the problem and I'll try a different cable as well. I'm in St. Thomas and they are in Guelph - I don't want to make too many trips there, so if anyone has ANYTHING else I can try it would be much appreciated smile.gif

BTW, they LOVE their new eMac. They had my old HP Pavilion PC before this!!

_Outcast_
Aug 9th, 2004, 02:07 AM
I had a similar problem when I first got my Photosmart 7150. I would send jobs to it and it would time out. I found that if I was trying to print on 8.5 x 11 and I didn't have the 4 x 6 tray pushed in it would do this. If the 4 x 6 tray is pulled out it thinks you want to use it, not the full size tray. Not sure if the 7760 has the same tray or not...

Also, is the printer connected to either a powered USB hub or into the computer itself? I find that if I plug in the USB cable into the computer keyboard the printer doesn't receive the data properly and it never starts printing.

Anyway, good luck.

RC51Pilot
Aug 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the reply - the 7760 does have that tray. I'll check into it. It's plugged into the machine itself - HP's website mentions not to plug it into the keyboard also.

Thanks.