: iPod headphones?

andreww
Aug 4th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Anyone know where I can get a set of iPod headphones? Compusmart only sells the phones bundled with a remote for almost $70 incl tax. They also have the new inner ear model for $48. I kinda would like to go with what Im used to though.

thewitt
Aug 4th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Check the Trading Post (https://www.ehmac.ca/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=006947)

FYI: I have read bad reviews of the in-ears.

andreww
Aug 4th, 2004, 07:52 PM
Thanks Witt!

iChard
Aug 4th, 2004, 09:56 PM
i bought the sony in ears and the sound is really really great. the bass response is unlike any ear buds i've ever heard. i do prefer the regular apple ear buds for comfort - although i'm quite getting used to the sony rubber ones. The apple in ears look like a little different construction - not ribbed . . .

RicktheChemist
Aug 4th, 2004, 11:47 PM

Chealion
Aug 5th, 2004, 01:12 AM
FWIW, most of the bad experiences with the iPod in ear headphones stem from the fact that they are designed to sit in your ear canal, and people most often didn't put it in properly. One user review I read, had it in wrong originally and then put it in right and said that the difference is absolutely amazing.

Pageophile
Aug 5th, 2004, 09:35 AM
I'd recommend a set of Sennheiser MX400 earbuds, I bought a set after searching the net for recommendations.

I have not regreted these units for one second. While these are earbuds and as such have limitations, they sound is really good. And for less than 30CDN you can not go wrong.

If you want a slightly bigger headphone check out the Grado SR60 or SR80, more expensive (SR60 around 100CDN and 80's go for 140'ish) but WOW.

Both these are Great Bang for the Buck options, when it comes to audio you can often spend more than you wanted and get much less than you paid for smile.gif

TroutMaskReplica
Aug 5th, 2004, 10:09 AM
you have to create a seal in your ear with the in ears or they don't really work. they come with three sets of different sized rubber ear pieces.

we bought a pair for my girlfriend's father on his birthday and he was absolutely blown away by them. then again, he could have just been putting on a show not wanting us to think he didn't like the present.....

dpimac (www.dpimac.com) stocks the in ear buds. when i was calling around town to see who had them, they were the ONLY store that knew what the hell i was talking about. if you go there only deal with Gary Smythe aka 'Digital Gary' on this board. the other guys there don't seem to be as helpful or as knowledgeable. (on a side note, it's worth the trip out there just to see the building they're in. they must have spent a fortune renovating it).

they keep all of their mac stuff in a bank vault. it has a heavy iron door on it that must be at least 18" thick.

PosterBoy
Aug 5th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I'd recommend a set of Sennheiser MX400 earbuds

I am a <del>whore for</del> big fan of Sennheiser. I use my HD570 headphones all the time, and will be picking up a set of MX500 ear buds in the next couple of weeks.

They make the good stuff.

Pageophile
Aug 5th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Just FYI, the difference between the MX400 and MX500 is a built in volume control on the 500's

No difference otherwise.

I'm glad to see other Sennheiser fans around and vocal.

andreww
Aug 5th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks all! I found a new earbud/remote available from a fellow ehmacer, and was able to sell the remote to a friend. It just kind of makes me feel good to have the matching phones for my ipod. Probably explains why I still use a one button mouse!

mikef
Aug 5th, 2004, 10:35 PM
On a related note, has anybody used a headphone amp on an iPod with a good pair of Sennheisers or Grados? (Perhaps like a HeadRoom AirHead (http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=3&subTopicID=27&productID=0000010001) or similar) Does the iPod itself have enough output power to handle a full-sized set of headphones? I didn't think it would.

Pageophile
Aug 6th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Actually, I just read about a fella who replaced his original iPod headset with a set of Grado SR60's. He was very happy with it and no mention of a amp.

So I'd guess the iPod has more than enough juice smile.gif

farfisa
Aug 6th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Never liked the iPod headphones. When I walk, my beard rubs against the hollow plastic tubing at the top and it amplifies it into my ear. You'd think Steve Jobs would notice that!?
I just tried out my AKG k240 Studio headphones (the newer, louder version) with my iPod and it sounded incredible. I guess battery life suffers with a bigger set of headphones?
I used a pair of Sennheiser's for a few years, but I didn't like the foam padding on the model I got (HD330)--comfortable at first, but it gets itchy. Great sound though.

MsMittens
Aug 6th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Ok.. so where would one go to get a pair of Sennheiser MX400 or MX500 earbuds in the GTA (downtown perferable)? I find it annoying that I have to listen to the TTC (and everyone around me -- if I want to listen to someone's conversation I'd be in on it). I have a pair of noise cancelling Sony's but would rather have something in-ear (and smaller!) to use with my iPod.

Pageophile
Aug 7th, 2004, 03:48 AM
Hello

You can p/u a set of Sennheiser MX400 at your local RadioShack smile.gif

The Grados are a bit harder to find, but a net search will turn up a local dealer

Enjoy