: CBC To Cut Back Supper-Hour News, In-House Productions

SINC
Jun 28th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Corporation will have up to 1,500 fewer employees by 2020

CBC to cut 657 jobs, will no longer compete for professional sports rights

The CBC is shifting its priorities from television and radio to digital and mobile services, a move that will reduce staff, and supper-hour news broadcasts and programs produced in-house, says CBC president and CEO Hubert T. Lacroix.

“We used to lead with television and radio. Web came and then mobility came. We are reversing, we are inverting the priorities that we have,” Lacroix said, referring to the broadcaster’s 2020 strategy. “We’re going to lead now with mobility, we’re going to lead with whatever widget you use.

"You’re going to see an investment in mobility that’s going to rise as the investment in perhaps television ... is reduced.”

Lacroix said there will be job cuts over the coming years, but they will be made in "prudent steps."

In 2020, the corporation will have 1,000 to 1,500 fewer employees. This would be in addition to the reductions announced to date.

Currently, 1,000 employees are eligible for retirement. And through attrition, about 300 leave every year, according to the broadcaster.

“The goal is that to be able to meet a financially stable and sustainable CBC/Radio-Canada, we have to reduce the infrastructures ... but we also have to reduce the number of people who are working at CBC/Radio-Canada,” Lacroix said

Certainly not unexpected given sagging viewership. Dead last of all Edmonton news stations for years now.

CBC to cut back supper-hour news, in-house productions - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cbc-to-cut-back-supper-hour-news-in-house-productions-1.2688409?cmp=rss)

Dr.G.
Jun 28th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Certainly not unexpected given sagging viewership. Dead last of all Edmonton news stations for years now.

CBC to cut back supper-hour news, in-house productions - Canada - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/cbc-to-cut-back-supper-hour-news-in-house-productions-1.2688409?cmp=rss)

Sadly, here in St. John's and throughout NL, CBC is #1, and is #1 in Canada based on per capita viewers .............. and still they are cutting here. :(

rgray
Jun 28th, 2014, 09:52 PM
Sadly, here in St. John's and throughout NL, CBC is #1, and is #1 in Canada based on per capita viewers .............. and still they are cutting here. :(

CBC is leading in many 'markets' and number 1 in Ottawa.

Theis juat one more salvo in the Cons constant war on any kind of public service.

Macfury
Jun 29th, 2014, 12:12 AM

Don't you see the problem with that statement? How can CBC be #1 in that market and still lose money? That has everything to do with a top-heavy organization that wastes too many of the resources given to it.

Dr.G.
Jun 29th, 2014, 04:08 AM
Don't you see the problem with that statement? How can CBC be #1 in that market and still lose money? That has everything to do with a top-heavy organization that wastes too many of the resources given to it.

Actually, CBC makes money in the St. John's metro region. Many of the "top-heavy" management people have been let go and the actual reporters and staff people are doing a fine job of gathering, producing and presenting the news on their own. Seems like a winning formula to me.

heavyall
Jun 29th, 2014, 05:56 AM
Actually, CBC makes money in the St. John's metro region. Many of the "top-heavy" management people have been let go and the actual reporters and staff people are doing a fine job of gathering, producing and presenting the news on their own. Seems like a winning formula to me.

Does that mean they don't need any public funding then?

Dr.G.
Jun 29th, 2014, 08:51 AM
Does that mean they don't need any public funding then?

No, it just means that they bring in more money than they receive. Some of the top local talent took pay cuts to allow for other junior people to stay on. Overall, CBC is losing money nation-wide, but at least here we do our bit to keep the corporation afloat.

Macfury
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:09 AM
No, it just means that they bring in more money than they receive. Some of the top local talent took pay cuts to allow for other junior people to stay on. Overall, CBC is losing money nation-wide, but at least here we do our bit to keep the corporation afloat.

Follow it through, Dr. G. If it makes money in the St. John's metro region, then why would CBC punish that program by cutting its budget? Why would it simply not cut programming where the local news loses money?

Dr.G.
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Follow it through, Dr. G. If it makes money in the St. John's metro region, then why would CBC punish that program by cutting its budget? Why would it simply not cut programming where the local news loses money?

The VP of CBC Atlantic Canada said that the final decision of what would be cut will be made next week. I agree with you that it makes no sense to cut a money-maker, but we shall see. Paix, mon ami.

Macfury
Jun 29th, 2014, 09:52 AM
If they cut the St. John's news it will be a protest by the CBC elite for disturbing their well-feathered nest—a method of extracting the greatest pain from its loyal viewers. Any time a large park doesn't get the budget it wants, it begins by closing all of the washrooms. That's the mentality of CBC management.

Dr.G.
Jun 29th, 2014, 10:27 AM
If they cut the St. John's news it will be a protest by the CBC elite for disturbing their well-feathered nest—a method of extracting the greatest pain from its loyal viewers. Any time a large park doesn't get the budget it wants, it begins by closing all of the washrooms. That's the mentality of CBC management.

We shall see. News and local programming are the hits of the CBC here in St. John's, along with other parts of NL.

heavyall
Jul 2nd, 2014, 01:25 AM

Are you sure? I don't mean to just argue with you, but I have a very hard time believing that any unit of the CBC would be anything but in the red if you subtract the government funding. They bring in more than they receive, but do they bring in more than their operating expenses?

…or is that what you meant -- in the black as long as you count the subsidy?

Macfury
Jul 2nd, 2014, 09:25 AM
Are you sure? I don't mean to just argue with you, but I have a very hard time believing that any unit of the CBC would be anything but in the red if you subtract the government funding. They bring in more than they receive, but do they bring in more than their operating expenses?

…or is that what you meant -- in the black as long as you count the subsidy?

What difference does it make as long as tCBC executives have a rewarding career?

screature
Jul 2nd, 2014, 11:57 AM

I don't understand that statement,"#1 in Canada based on per capita viewers" based on what and where are you getting it from?

screature
Jul 2nd, 2014, 12:12 PM
CBC is leading in many 'markets' and number 1 in Ottawa.

Theis juat one more salvo in the Cons constant war on any kind of public service.

Radio not TV.

And no, the CBC is the master of their own domain, they are a Crown Corporation. Do you not know how these things work?

The CBC still gets almost $1B in public allocations. Do some homework instead of believing everything you read from the "Friends of Canadian Broadcasting" i.e., "Friends of the CBC".

screature
Jul 2nd, 2014, 12:37 PM
CBC’s future should look like its radio past (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-debate/cbcs-future-should-look-like-its-radio-past/article16190517/)

A good read and overall I agree.

I could get behind a smaller and higher quality CBC.

Bigger does not equate to being better in today's highly diversified media marketplace. In many instances it means the exact opposite.

FeXL
Jul 2nd, 2014, 05:07 PM
As the article writer is former director of research at CBC, I have difficulty believing this report is bias free. Especially when blanket statements like

Fortunately, Canadians are tolerant of this cherished institution and still support the idea of public broadcasting.

are uttered. Some may support public broadcasting. Many do not. I also have difficulty believing that one in three Canadians listen to CBC radio regularly. I know thousands & thousands of people of all age groups & find it impossible to fathom that 1/3 of them listen to CBC radio.

[CBC Radio] and CBC TV could go commercial-free and return to the high journalistic standards that have built the network’s reputation.

Nobody cares about journalistic integrity any more. If they did, people would be rioting. Witness south of the border where the press corpse is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the left. The Obama administration is riddled with scandals dating back years & many are only coming to light recently in the MSM. Those of us who get our news online have known about all of these from day one.

What if I want local news, either on the radio or on TV? I'm SOL. I can barely get provincial coverage on CBC, let alone anything that relates to Southern Alberta. Rarely do I care what's happening in Vancouver or Tranna.

Being free of commercials should spark some very creative ideas and experimentation.

Yeah! Like another Little Mosque on the Prairie...

It would be surprised how many people crave intelligent, substantive news and current affairs...

These people already get their news online. Away from the progressive bias...

...and distinctive edgy, experimental drama and entertainment.

Yeah! Like Little Mosque on the Prairie...

Give the CBC a five year mandate with yearly budget cutbacks of 20%. At the end of that period, they'd have to be entirely privately funded to survive. If the viewers/listeners liked what they saw/heard, there should be no problems soliciting donations & keeping the CBC extant.

Rps
Jul 2nd, 2014, 05:27 PM
Also missed is that it isn't watched. Local news is mostly in the pathetic viewership range across the country. If I had to choose the network with the most mid day and early evening brews followers I would say it is Global, CTV appears to be the winner for late night.

I have a simple test for all you CBC supporters ..... Name me one series of a CBC programme you bought the box set or download for?

For my money, haven't found one yet ..... And there in a nutschell is the problem. The World gets Game of Thrones, we get Game of Drones......

Macfury
Jul 2nd, 2014, 05:56 PM
I might pay for a set of vintage Friendly Giant programs--that's about it.

SINC
Jul 2nd, 2014, 07:34 PM
Also missed is that it isn't watched. Local news is mostly in the pathetic viewership range across the country. If I had to choose the network with the most mid day and early evening brews followers I would say it is Global, CTV appears to be the winner for late night.

I have a simple test for all you CBC supporters ..... Name me one series of a CBC programme you bought the box set or download for?

For my money, haven't found one yet ..... And there in a nutschell is the problem. The World gets Game of Thrones, we get Game of Drones......

I haven't enjoyed a real program on CBC-TV since 'This Hour Has Seven Days" went off the air in the 60s. ;)

screature
Jul 4th, 2014, 11:59 AM
I enjoyed the Beachcombers.

Macfury
Jul 4th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I enjoyed the Beachcombers.

Thanks toa CBC screw-up on rights, they can't release the series on DVD.

screature
Jul 4th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Thanks toa CBC screw-up on rights, they can't release the series on DVD.

That sucks. What was the screw up?

Macfury
Jul 4th, 2014, 01:04 PM
As I understand it, they had not secured the rights to release episodes featuring the actor who played Relic, and his family is holding out on any release.

The CBC has a bizarre sense of business acumen. When I once tried to get access to some press photos of an ancient series, they told me that they did not retain the rights to photos of their own programs--they had signed away the rights to the photographers who took them.

screature
Jul 4th, 2014, 01:18 PM
As I understand it, they had not secured the rights to release episodes featuring the actor who played Relic, and his family is holding out on any release.

The CBC has a bizarre sense of business acumen. When I once tried to get access to some press photos of an ancient series, they told me that they did not retain the rights to photos of their own programs--they had signed away the rights to the photographers who took them.

That's nuts! Who does that? Apparently the CBC. :rolleyes:

SINC
Jul 4th, 2014, 09:30 PM
It is interesting to note that nine of the 15 presidents of the CBC from inception to present were from Quebec. Is there a message in there somewhere as to the demise?

SINC
Jul 5th, 2014, 08:50 PM
To further my point why did a province with less than 1/3 of Canada's population, have presidents who controlled what the other 2/3 of Canada was forced to watch? And why were 2/3 of the presidents from Quebec? Was that fair to the rest (and majority) of Canada? Surely not?