: B/W Revision B Motherboard problem

simon
Apr 7th, 2004, 08:25 AM
I bought a B/W Revision B motherboard off eBay - the seller says he'll guarantee it against D.O.A. so I'm sure it's a working motherboard but ....

When I installed it I can't get it to work!!

Before I take the seller up on his D.O.A guarantee I want to ask a few questions. He said that the board was "flashed" for a G4 chip (which I have - G4/500), I checked the jumper settings and they are set the same as the Revision A motherboard currently in my system - so everything there is right.

When I turn the system on with the Revision B board I don't get the "happy Mac chime" or the "bong" when it starts (the A board does) - what am I missing?

Please advise as I would really like to upgrade the board.

monokitty
Apr 7th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Make sure the processor is properly seated, check RAM and make sure the logic board is "plugged in." Check all cables and wires running to and from the logic board 3 more times as well. Right now it sounds to me like the logic board doesn't work, but it's hard to say.

simon
Apr 7th, 2004, 10:28 AM
I should have mentioned that I did recheck all connections - more than once and when I reinstalled the A board everything worked OK. I also tried numerous configurations of the installed items (memory, PCI cards, etc.) - all with no success.

The jumper settings were correct to the speed of my processor but does it make a difference if the CPU is a G4 or G3?

MrVermin
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:02 AM
I would suggest to get back to the basics and put an original G3 CPU in the new board and see if it powers up properly. If it does not at that juncture, then something may have gone wrong with the so called "Flash"....

Funny, I upgraded my B&W G3 Rev B system to a G4/500 without having to "Flash" the board??? Interesting...

MrVermin

monokitty
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:14 AM
The seller just doesn't know what he's talking about. You don't flash any board to make a G4 ZIF work with it. He must of thought he did or something when he put a G4 ZIF in it and thought it got flashed in the process (which doesn't happen).

HJS
Apr 7th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Once again, Lars doesn't know what he's talking about. B&W G3's have a G4 CPU block(placed there by Apple), that is removed by upgrading firmware-the Zif upgrade manufacturers usually supply this firmware upgrade. Jumper settings for the G3 and G4 upgrades are also likely different-the G4 Zifs often have jumper or dials on them as well. If you have already "flashed" your B&W for a G4 upgrade, the new 800, 1000 mhz upgrades require a new, different "flash".
In Simon's case, resetting the motherboard via the CUDA switch, or pulling battery, etc. may help. Check jumper settings, etc. Did/does the G4 zif work on the Rev. A board? Lots of info on various upgrades in B&W on Xlr8yourmac.com and online manuals can usually be found for most upgrade manufacturer's zifs. smile.gif

Drift_91
Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:12 PM
Hi, I've got the exact same problem, got my Rev B from eBay as well. Simon, who sold you the board? if it was macdealz, you might want to just take him up on the warranty, because that's who i got mine from, and mine doesn't work either, also just to make sure that my board isn't also defective, does the computer make the happy mac chime if the hard drive isn't working right? because my HD has been acting funny even with the Rev A.

Also my CPU is a G3.

Carl
Apr 3rd, 2008, 11:21 PM
I never "flashed" my B&W when I upped it to a G4. I just had to install a control panel in the system. No firmware flash at all. Didn't change any jumpers either.

Man, I have to stop reading stuff on the web. It's aggravating.

MacDoc
Apr 4th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Once again, Lars doesn't know what he's talking about. B&W G3's have a G4 CPU block(placed there by Apple), that is removed by upgrading firmware-the Zif upgrade manufacturers usually supply this firmware upgrade. Jumper settings for the G3 and G4 upgrades are also likely different-the G4 Zifs often have jumper or dials on them as well. If you have already "flashed" your B&W for a G4 upgrade, the new 800, 1000 mhz upgrades require a new, different "flash".
In Simon's case, resetting the motherboard via the CUDA switch, or pulling battery, etc. may help. Check jumper settings, etc. Did/does the G4 zif work on the Rev. A board? Lots of info on various upgrades in B&W on Xlr8yourmac.com and online manuals can usually be found for most upgrade manufacturer's zifs.
perfect.....:clap:

Things that go bump.....
Having the jumpers on backwards ....been there done that :rolleyes: - happened to be working on the wrong side of the machine....

The original G3 chips will work once the firmware block is removed.

Carl - Apple pulled a nasty - IF you happened to upgrade to a G4 without going to the latest version of the OS then the block was not in place. Unusual circumstance tho.

Simon are you getting lights on the board?

You 100% that it is a Rev B???

Lots here for you

Installing OSX on your Blue and White G3 (http://resale.headgap.com/osxnotesbw.html)

monokitty
Apr 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Holy back from the dead thread, dating to 2004...

simon
Apr 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Holy back from the dead thread, dating to 2004...

blast from the past ... I was going to say the same thing Lars ...

as for the rest of the questions forwarded my way all I can say is ?????????

I have no clue, I believe the board sold to me was actually DOA and I was told a fib ... you think that eBay sellers wouldn't lie about their ware's condition. If I remember right I bought another revision B board and that solved the problem ... the B/W then served faithfully for another year as my office's web and file server and then it was retired.

It's been a long time since I had anything below a G5 in my office I had to perform some mental gymnastics just to remember it.

Drift_91
Apr 4th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Holy crap! I didn't even notice how old this thread was until you guy's mentioned it, I just found this thread on Google the other day when i looked up G3s. lmao rofl.

Drift_91
Apr 4th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I still need to know if the mac will still make "the happy mac chime" if the hard drive doesn't work. Also can someone give me a list of some of the things that might make the computer not make the happy mac chime and not boot-up properly (besides a defective mobo). By the way, this is my first Macintosh and I've only had it for less than a month.

monokitty
Apr 4th, 2008, 10:26 PM
I still need to know if the mac will still make "the happy mac chime" if the hard drive doesn't work.

In most cases, it should still give you a chime under those circumstances, yes.

Drift_91
Apr 4th, 2008, 10:50 PM
In most cases, it should still give you a chime under those circumstances, yes.

OK thanks, but I still need some troubleshooting as to why it won't boot, any answers or suggestions are apreacated.

monokitty
Apr 4th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Other factors could be:

- Bad processor, or improperly seated processor;
- Processor jumper pins improperly set;
- Bad RAM DIMM, or multiple bad RAM DIMM's, improperly seated RAM DIMM's;
- Defective inner cables or wiring; improperly seated cables or cable(s) unplugged.

Possibly other factors as well. Disconnect every part of your G3 that isn't REQUIRED to be plugged in order for the unit to be turned on (i.e; hard drive, optical drive, all external devices, etc.) and see if the unit at least puts video on the display. If it puts video on the display, but has no chime, the system volume may be muted.

joemulder
Apr 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
I believe thet best way to go is HP DV6500
trust me, check it out

Quicksilver G4
Apr 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
If no video on the display, the video card may be defective or not seated properly.

It happened once with my windows PC recently, I took it out to use it, no video, thought it was dead. No keys were working, I don't think it POSTed either. A few days later I opened it and figured the video card was loose, therefore nothing was booting.

Quicksilver G4
Apr 5th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I believe thet best way to go is HP DV6500
trust me, check it out

Huh? Thats a laptop, why would you need a laptop to check if it works?

monokitty
Apr 6th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Huh? Thats a laptop, why would you need a laptop to check if it works?

I think he's implying to throw the G3 away and get an HP... :confused:

Drift_91
Apr 6th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Well, it's official my new (used off eBay) Rev B is dead!XX) I put my Rev A back in and it works fine.:D The Rev B is going back to the seller,:ptptptptp and my friend who bought it for me is getting his money back!:greedy: