: Checking out iTunes without copying

Moscool
Apr 7th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Every now and then I receive a sound file (say AAC or AIFF) that can be read by iTunes but which I don't necessarily want to install (e.g. samples on a magazine CD).
At present, the routine is pretty boring: click song/play song/remove song from library/remove file from library.

Any other way? (i.e. play but don't install?)

Thanks

Gizmo
Apr 7th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Not sure how to do exactly what you ask, but you can remove one step by slecting the song and hitting cmd-del

This removes it from itunes and sends the file to the trash.

Macified
Apr 7th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Why not just play the track with QuickTime. I keep QuickTime in my dock and simply drag files onto it when I don't want them added to my library. QuickTime loads faster than iTunes and there is no hassle of deleting even the listing from iTunes.

Moscool
Apr 7th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Macified: simple & elegant - I like it ! ;)

PosterBoy
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:29 PM
If you don't want to keep QuickTime in your dock, you can also control-click (right-click) on the song and select Open With -> QuickTime.

khummsein
Apr 7th, 2004, 06:02 PM
or...

open with finder in column view ("view" on menu or command-3), click on the icon, and preview.

(right-click - "preview" would be nice too, but unfortunately not available smile.gif )

Macified
Apr 7th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Great solutions guys but I still think dragging a file over QuickTime in the dock is so much more Mac-like. The other solutions seem to reflect, dare I say it, Windows.

Just kidding. I hadn't really thought about other options since I do keep QuickTime in the dock.

HJS
Apr 8th, 2004, 12:08 PM
You also have an option in iTunes prefs to not add(or copy) files to iTunes Music folder when adding to library; you'll still have to erase the library entry, though.