: Help how to get audio back!

johnnydee
Apr 2nd, 2014, 11:53 AM
I decided that there was an audio clip that I wanted to capture and downloaded Audacity.
I installed the program from the DMG and ran it the same way one would install all programs.
Well that was my 1st mistake as suddenly my audio was no longer working.
I returned to the help forums on Audacity and found in bold print!
"DO NOT INSTALL THIS FROM THE DMG"
Oh oh too late but no where can I find what happens to those who have installed from the DMG !
SO do I now have to reinstall 10.9.2 or is there an easier way to get my audio back?

Thanks
:confused:

SINC
Apr 2nd, 2014, 12:07 PM
This is a long shot, but perhaps download and try using AppCleaner, then restart?

AppCleaner (Mac) - Download (http://appcleaner.en.softonic.com/mac)

I use AppZapper, but it is a paid program while AppCleaner is free. Good luck.

eMacMan
Apr 2nd, 2014, 12:08 PM
Check your sound prefs under system prefs.

johnnydee
Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:39 AM
Check your sound prefs under system prefs.

I wish it was that easy!

CubaMark
Apr 3rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
I'm going to go with two recommendations:

1/ The obvious one - have you done a restart?

2/ The not-so-obvious one - check the Audio MIDI Setup settings in /Applications/

and for good measure...

A PRAM reset (Command-Option-P-R after the reboot chime, hold for 3 chimes - yeah, sounds like witchcraft, I know...) ;)

pm-r
Apr 3rd, 2014, 03:31 PM
Hmmm... no mention of what version of Audacity is involved here and I couldn't find any reference to any Audacity "DO NOT INSTALL THIS FROM THE DMG" warning, but did come across the warning "Installation: Do NOT run Audacity from the DMG!!!! " which is a totally different thing:
Audacity Forum • View topic - Installation: Do NOT run Audacity from the DMG!!!! (http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=75660)

If Audacity really was the cause of the sound problem, I'd get a copy of 'Find Any File' and run a search for anything containing 'Audacity', Trash it all and then shut down and reboot.

But better to do an SMC and PRAM reset first, as well as maybe a Safe Boot, then a final shutdown and boot up and see if things haven't improved.

CubaMark
Apr 3rd, 2014, 03:41 PM
I've also never heard / experience of this kind of problem with Audacity. I've used it for... gawd... how long has it been around? 13+ years now?

pm-r
Apr 3rd, 2014, 08:17 PM
It does seem a bit strange and it still seems to open with my Mavericks even though Audacity is still in my SL Applications folder.

I wonder if the problem may be related to my lack of sound problem the other day - I had inadvertently knocked out the power plug and making a proper connection to my external powered speakers while resetting my routers!!

Maybe I could have blamed the Network pref pane for the sound problem that happened while I was changing the settings. :D

hexdiy
Apr 3rd, 2014, 11:22 PM
I decided that there was an audio clip that I wanted to capture and downloaded Audacity.
I installed the program from the DMG and ran it the same way one would install all programs.
Well that was my 1st mistake as suddenly my audio was no longer working.
I returned to the help forums on Audacity and found in bold print!
"DO NOT INSTALL THIS FROM THE DMG"
Oh oh too late but no where can I find what happens to those who have installed from the DMG !
SO do I now have to reinstall 10.9.2 or is there an easier way to get my audio back?

Thanks
:confused:Well, Johnnydee, some more info on your OSX version, hardware profile (ideally an etrecheck report- Etresoft: EtreCheck (http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck)) and Audacity version would surely be appreciated, along with a link as to where you got that message: "DO NOT INSTALL THIS FROM THE DMG".
Starting from that info we will try to get your audio running again!

hexdiy
Apr 3rd, 2014, 11:38 PM
Guess I've found at least the audacity link: Audacity Forum • View topic - Installation: Do NOT run Audacity from the DMG!!!! (http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=75660)
Is this correct? "Do not run from the dmg" makes a lot more sense than "do not install from the dmg".
Ouch, sorry pm-r, you had already spotted the discrepancy!

hexdiy
Apr 4th, 2014, 12:21 AM
Right, Johnnydee: most probably you have just dragged the Audacity app to your Applications folder. That is not the way to do it, according to the link.
Try the installer again to create an Audacity folder in your apps folder. Once that is done, drag n drop the already existent Audacity App into that folder. Restart and check again. Also recheck your System Preferences>Sound after restart.
Hope we've got your issue by the tails right now!