: address error in OS 9

mmp
Mar 29th, 2004, 10:30 PM
I now am the proud owner of a PM 7600 with a 200mhz PPC 604 processor running OS 9.1. The problem is that every time I boot it up after the screen with "Mac OS 9.1" comes up I get an error message with the bomb picture that says "Sorry, a system error occurred address error To temporarily turn off extensions, restart and hold down the shift key" PLEASE HELP! It does boot up after I hold down the shift key and start without extensions. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

By the way I am using OS 10.3.3 on my G4 and I don't miss these bombs and errors one bit!

monokitty
Mar 29th, 2004, 10:37 PM
There's an extension conflict. Enable all the extensions once you boot with extensions off, except for those that are NOT important enough to be turned on (including all 3rd-party extensions for installed programs, etc). Restart and see what happens. If that works, keep turning on extensions one by one, or a few at a time, until the error returns - when this happens, you can quickly and easily rule out the offending extension(s).

mmp
Mar 29th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks Lars I'll pursue the extension problem, But I received an email suggesting that I reseat the RAM and processor card, I did so and now the error has changed from an address error to a bus error. The processor card is new to the machine as it had a G3 upgrade card in it as the most recent processor. Do I need to download software for the processor card?

mmp
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:03 PM
Also, I tried to open the TCP/IP conrtol panel to get on the net with my ethernet connection and I got a message "The application "TCP"/IP" could not be opened because "OTGlobalLib could not be found"

Help??

mmp
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:13 PM
The plot thickens...I restarted with the "MAXpower control" extension turned off and it works fine. The extension must be for the G3 upgrade card and causes problems for the 604 processor, yes??

LGBaker
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Aha! ;)

mmp
Mar 29th, 2004, 11:20 PM
All is fine...the MAXpower extension seems to have been the problem. Thanks LGBaker and Lars.