: Trying to restore Time Mach Backup

redhalton
Mar 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Hi

Lost my HD a few weeks back and now I'm trying to restore a Time Machine backup using Migration Assistant.

I have 2 external discs, one has the time machine backups.

When I select the option from a time mach backup the next window shows 3 disks, all are named the same and look the same.

I have a Lacie 1TB and WD 1TB external and a W/D 1TB in the computer.

How do I tell which disc to select for the T/M back up?

Thanks..

pm-r
Mar 11th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Maybe just unmount the other volumes so just the TM backup where you have your most recent TM backup connected and use it????

That may help to sort out the confusion??? Maybe??? ;)

redhalton
Mar 11th, 2014, 08:06 PM
All my backups my 'documents' folder where most of my previous data was saved has a little red ring on it and anytime I try and access this folder, a window pops up telling me I don't have permission.

Any ideas?

Thanks..

pm-r
Mar 11th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Do a Get Info on the volume device and check the box at the bottom: Ignore ownership on this volume.

That should get rid of the round red prohibit sign.

Unless TM is really different, and another reason I use a proper clone backup with CCC. :D

redhalton
Mar 14th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Still can't get into the Document folder where my needed files are stored.

Check out the screen shot which will give you a visual of what I'm working with.

Thanks

http://www.sportandwellness.ca/TM/Lacie.jpg

lcoughey
Mar 14th, 2014, 04:30 PM
It certainly looks like a permissions issue. Would I be correct in assuming that you aren't tech savvy enough to have root enabled for shell access?

You might be able to "fix" things with Disk Warrior, but I don't recommend doing anything to what appears to be the only copy of your data without first getting a full backup clone of that drive.

broad
Mar 14th, 2014, 05:10 PM
time machine isn't really designed to be used the way you're using it..

do you have any new junk on the internal drive? what you probably want to do is migrate the whole time machine backup in as was suggested to you further up the thread.

assume your name is john smith, and you have a time machine backup of "john smiths computer" with a user named john smith.

on your current system create a new admin account and call it "admin" or something throwaway like that...log into that account and delete the one you're currently using. go to the magnifying glass at the top right and type "migration" and you'll get the migration assistant showing up. launch it and then follow along with the steps to restore from a time machine backup and choose "john smiths computer" and then just wait. once thats done log out of admin, log in as john smith and then delete "admin" from sys prefs