: thunderbolt to hdmi fuzzy text?

wonderings
Feb 24th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I ordered a belkin thunderbolt to HDMI cable so I could send audio out as well as the picture to my 27" HP monitor that has built in speakers. I was using a mini display port to dvi adapter, and then plugged in an dvi to hdmi cable to my monitor.

Now the issue is the screen and text do not seem as sharp when plugged in with the thunderbolt to hdmi cable. It is scaled properly for the screen, but text is no where near as crisp and clean as the other setup I explained above, it almost looked fuzzy to my eyes.

Any reason why this would not be as good? This is on a RMBP latest updates of OS X.

John Clay
Feb 24th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I ordered a belkin thunderbolt to HDMI cable so I could send audio out as well as the picture to my 27" HP monitor that has built in speakers. I was using a mini display port to dvi adapter, and then plugged in an dvi to hdmi cable to my monitor.

Now the issue is the screen and text do not seem as sharp when plugged in with the thunderbolt to hdmi cable. It is scaled properly for the screen, but text is no where near as crisp and clean as the other setup I explained above, it almost looked fuzzy to my eyes.

Any reason why this would not be as good? This is on a RMBP latest updates of OS X.

What resolution is the HP set to?

Andrew Pratt
Feb 24th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Sounds like the resolutions aren't set properly (i.e. to native)

wonderings
Feb 24th, 2014, 04:26 PM
It is set to 1080p when I look under about this mac>more info>displays

When I go to display preferences I have it set to Best for display

rotation - standard

and overscan set to so it ends at the edge of the screen. Natively it was much larger and had to drag the under scan down so it would fit in my display. I do not see any other settings to adjust the screen.

John Clay
Feb 24th, 2014, 05:41 PM
It is set to 1080p when I look under about this mac>more info>displays

When I go to display preferences I have it set to Best for display

rotation - standard

and overscan set to so it ends at the edge of the screen. Natively it was much larger and had to drag the under scan down so it would fit in my display. I do not see any other settings to adjust the screen.

Is 1080p the native resolution? It is on some cheap 27" displays, but it should be 2560x1440 on the better models.

wonderings
Feb 24th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Native resolution is 1080p

HP ENVY 27 27-inch Diagonal IPS LED Backlit Monitor | HP® Official Store (http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Accessories/Monitors/C8K32AA?HP-ENVY-27-27-inch-Diagonal-IPS-LED-Backlit-Monitor)

Andrew Pratt
Feb 24th, 2014, 08:09 PM
Try manually setting the resolution to 1920 by 1080 and see if that improves anything. HDMI in my experience is a pain...its a good idea but it can be fickle

wonderings
Feb 27th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions, nothing really worked so I went back to the way I was doing it. If it is not broke why fix it applies here I guess.