: "Another device is using your computer's IP address" error.

rgray
Feb 13th, 2014, 08:57 PM
I have been getting this alert:
My network configuration is thus:

DSL arrives through a 2Wire (Bell) modem with the WiFi turned off (provides DHCP)
An Airport Extreme in Bridge Mode provides WiFi
An Airport Express extends the WiFi by WDS
A MB, a MBP-17, an iPhone 4S and a 5, and a (soon to be 2) !st gen iPad(s) connect.

Most of the time the network performs flawlessly, but occasionally this error (see above pic) occurs and the way I have been remedying it is to reboot the modem - it being the (only) source of DHCP. It seems to occur when one of the phones is woken up but that could be just serendipity.

Is there a solution to prevent this?

Can I assign a fixed 192.168.*.* IP address to each device? How?

Should (assuming I can) I assign addresses to the two routers?

Any other suggestions?

TIA ;)

SINC
Feb 13th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I too have been dealing with this issue for a very long time. Unlike your situation I have my own MBP, my iPad 2, my iPhone 5, my Mac Mini, my daughter's MBP, her MB Air, her iPhone 5 and her iPad 2 as well as my wife's iPhone 4 and iPad 3 on my network. With this mess I can understand (and forgive) the confusion occasionally. :D

IllusionX
Feb 13th, 2014, 09:42 PM
My work place have been getting this error, which often conflicts with servers. We found that this range is being used by others at home.

I suggest switching to a different subnet see if the issue continues.

Personally, I hate 192.168.2.x

broad
Feb 14th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Put the 2wire into bridge and let the AE do the DHCP

polywog
Feb 14th, 2014, 06:12 AM

+1 on this. Although you don't need to put the 2wire in bridge mode: I believe you can just enter the PPoE credentials in the AE and it will "Bypass" the 2wire. At least that was my experience last time I was with Bell.

You could in any event have DHCP send out static addresses to the devices. It's fairly simple on the AE with Address Reservations.

The root cause is likely that the lease duration is far too short by default on the 2wire (you could boost that up as far as you can.)

SINC
Feb 14th, 2014, 10:13 AM

+1 on this. Although you don't need to put the 2wire in bridge mode: I believe you can just enter the PPoE credentials in the AE and it will "Bypass" the 2wire. At least that was my experience last time I was with Bell.

You could in any event have DHCP send out static addresses to the devices. It's fairly simple on the AE with Address Reservations.

The root cause is likely that the lease duration is far too short by default on the 2wire (you could boost that up as far as you can.)

So, what is the 2wire, where is it and how does one change it?

Joker Eh
Feb 14th, 2014, 10:23 AM

This. +1

Joker Eh
Feb 14th, 2014, 10:25 AM
So, what is the 2wire, where is it and how does one change it?

2wire is Bell's modem/router. The proper way to use the Bell equipment with an AE is to put the Bell 2wire into Bridge mode which will kill the wifi on it and let the AE handle everything.

This goes the same with a Rogers modem/router.

IllusionX
Feb 14th, 2014, 01:30 PM

DHCP servers is supposed to query ip addresses that are in use before it sends out one, but some devices will stick to one while attempting to renew the lease.

Best i just stay away from the 192.168.2.x subnet, and go with something else, such as 192.168.3.x or higher numbers. I use 192.168.20.x at home.

SINC
Feb 14th, 2014, 01:43 PM
2wire is Bell's modem/router. The proper way to use the Bell equipment with an AE is to put the Bell 2wire into Bridge mode which will kill the wifi on it and let the AE handle everything.

This is exactly what I did with my Telus router, killed the WIFI and use the AE.

Joker Eh
Feb 15th, 2014, 08:18 AM
This is exactly what I did with my Telus router, killed the WIFI and use the AE.

but you have not bridged your Telus router. there is your issue with getting that message.

like broad said "let the AE do the DHCP"

I am assuming you have both the telus router and the AE doing the DHCP

rgray
Feb 16th, 2014, 05:38 PM

Thanks Joker and broad. This is exactly what I would like to do. Are there instructions somewhere???

How do I access the Modem after this is done? The modem settings are at 192.168.2.1. Will this change? I do not want to have trouble with Bell.

I would like very much to transfer all wireless functions to AE and as you recommend cut of the 2Wire to modem functions only. I would like to communicate about how to do this..... TIA:)

Currently I have the 2Wire wireless disabled (it is only G anyway) but still doing DHCP and have the AE in Bridge but providing the wireless.

Currently the problem has not appeared since I used "DHCP with Manual Address" (with an address well outside the usual range) in Network Preferences but that presents other issues when I move to other networks.

SINC
Feb 16th, 2014, 06:03 PM
but you have not bridged your Telus router. there is your issue with getting that message.

like broad said "let the AE do the DHCP"

I am assuming you have both the telus router and the AE doing the DHCP

I wish I knew, I have no idea how to do this or what 2wire is or how to alter it and therein lies the problem. :confused:

hexdiy
Feb 16th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Not sure of which type of Telus gateway you have, but here is an example of a manual: http://www.telus.com/content/help/common/pdf/Telus_V1000H_User_Manual_vc.pdf
I think you need to use your Telus or whatever 2-wire (meaning phone line aka DSL) modem-only or completely bridged, and let the rest be run by your own (Apple or 3rd party) gear.
Here's maybe a good link to start further research: DSLReports Home : Broadband ISP Reviews News Tools and Forums (http://www.dslreports.com/)
Specifically for Bell Canada DSL, maybe this could help you: How to Set Your Bell 2Wire 2701Hg G Modem Router to Bridge Mode (http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Your-Bell-2Wire-2701Hg-G-Modem-Router-to-Bridge-Mode)
Thank auntie Google...

SINC
Feb 16th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Good grief, you mean all along 2wire means DSL? Why don't people use the correct term?

hexdiy
Feb 16th, 2014, 06:52 PM
Terms tend to be confused, but a few synonyms could sometimes come in handy, agreed. DSL used to be called ADSL with older technology.
I' ve just updated my last but one post with a link which may come in handy:How to Set Your Bell 2Wire 2701Hg G Modem Router to Bridge Mode (http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Your-Bell-2Wire-2701Hg-G-Modem-Router-to-Bridge-Mode)
Cheers!

rgray
Feb 16th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Terms tend to be confused, but a few synonyms could sometimes come in handy, agreed. DSL used to be called ADSL with older technology.
I' ve just updated my last but one post with a link which may come in handy:How to Set Your Bell 2Wire 2701Hg G Modem Router to Bridge Mode (http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Your-Bell-2Wire-2701Hg-G-Modem-Router-to-Bridge-Mode)
Cheers!

Thanks, but I am not sure that that method of flashing the firmware (url=http://www.wikihow.com/Set-Your-Bell-2Wire-2701Hg-G-Modem-Router-to-Bridge-Mode) is not (out-)dated. I can see it leading to trouble with Bell too!

I already have access to the DHCP settings in the 2Wire HG-G modem I have????

I found other instructions here (http://www.scomputerservicesgta.com/sharing-knowledge/other-programs/op3.php) for a method that does not require flashing....

EDIT: But I'm not convinced this is the version I have either.....

I am inclined to stick with the "DHCP with Manual Address" solution and just manage that until I can communicate with someone who seems to have actually done this actual deed. Damn, I miss the old SpeedStream modem-only box that Bell used to provide..... :-(

hexdiy
Feb 16th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Sorry rgray, I was only trying to be helpful, but know next to nothing of your local situation. Just a guest from Flanders who likes to linger on the Ehmac forums.
Better stick to the instructions in your link, then. Don't be afraid to alter the settings in your gateway, just make sure you browse through them all and make notes of the ones you have now. Then disconnect from 2wire (phone line, RJ11 connector) , keep a wired connection to your Mac (network cable, RJ45 connector) on a LAN port, open your browser, and try to connect with the web interface in your 2Wire HG-G modem/gateway. I think you have already succeeded in doing that, but for safety's sake make sure the phone line is pulled out. Refer to the manual for its URL.
If all is set up, reconnect to the phone line, and test. And if all fails, you can easily reset the gateway to factory settings, reconnect to its web interface, and manually restore it to what you had before according to your notes.
Good luck!

rgray
Feb 16th, 2014, 08:01 PM
Please don't get me wrong! I appreciate your input and everything is getting me closer. "Baby steps" and all that!!! :D