: mounting external drive in clamshell mode

csonni
Feb 3rd, 2014, 06:44 PM
As of late, I've been running my MBP in clamshell mode. Been working really nice, actually, except when turning on my external FW drives. They won't mount unless I reboot. When unmounting and then truning off and back on again, a reboot is required to mount. I don't remember this happening except when going to clamshell mode. Any reason that I should suspect?

pm-r
Feb 3rd, 2014, 09:48 PM
Are your external FW drives FW bus powered or self powered?

Do they mount if you disconnect the FW cable while they are turned On and then re-connect the cable?

Will they mount with Disk Utility?

csonni
Feb 4th, 2014, 06:16 AM
I knew I should've included more info. I have them powered. I had tried removing the FW cable and reconnecting with no success. Just turned on my drive now and it mounted, so the mounting doesn't fail at every attempt, obviously. And when the mount fails, I can fire up DU and it doesn't see the drive(s).

pm-r
Feb 4th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Have you got another good known FW cable you can try and then do some testing?

Or even try using different FW ports if you have any others available, both on the external and your Mac.

PS: I have a FW external drive that would occasionally not mount, and it was either you or another member that discovered the solution which was to do a SMC reset on the Mac. I't worked every time for me, so thanks to whoever provided the info. So just maybe something to try, but it sounds to me that your problem is more like a goofy cable or connection issue. ;)

csonni
Feb 5th, 2014, 06:08 AM
Haven't had the problem since posting this actually. Next time I'll try a different cable. Thanks.

csonni
Feb 5th, 2014, 10:21 AM
Just started up the external drive with another failure to mount. Switched cables with no success. Switched FW ports on back of drive with no success. Even connected 2 other external FW drives with no success. So, that, for me, isolates the issue to my MBP. I suppose I can try the SMC reset, although there are absolutely no other issues I'm having with my MBP- just this. And sure enough, a simple restart mounted the drive.

hexdiy
Feb 5th, 2014, 10:48 AM
If it happens again, you could first check in System Profiler if the FW drive is present at all. If not, there is definitely a cable or worse ( main board socket) problem.
Except for this: is the drive an old LaCie D2 by any chance? Those have a tendency to weird mounting and sleep behaviour. Try a different setting of the switch on its back ( auto or on).

csonni
Feb 5th, 2014, 11:10 AM
These drives I have I've put in my own enclosures (OWC, Rosewill, etc.).

eMacMan
Feb 5th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Have you tried clicking on the greyed out drives in Disk Utility, then clicking on the mount tool?

csonni
Feb 5th, 2014, 04:20 PM
I don't remember saying that they're being seen by DU. The only time they will be grayed out is if I unmount them and leave the drive powered up. Then, yes, the drivew will mount again. The problem is when I power the drive down for a period of time. Powering it back up will not mount the drives nor will DU see them.

pm-r
Feb 5th, 2014, 05:16 PM
These drives I have I've put in my own enclosures (OWC, Rosewill, etc.).

Do any of those enclosures have USB ports you could connect to and see if they mount properly when connected and powered up via the USB?

I'd still give the SMC reset a try and it sure won't hurt anything to try.

hexdiy
Feb 5th, 2014, 05:16 PM
What happens if you unmount the drives, power them down, unplug the FW cable. Power back up, replug the FW cable. Will they mount or be visible in DU or SysProfiler in any way?
External enclosures can present you with some very erratic behaviour, BTW.

csonni
Feb 6th, 2014, 06:29 AM
External enclosures can present you with some very erratic behaviour, BTW.

This may be it in my case. Just powered up my drive after sitting overnight unmounted and unpowered and it just mounted no problem. Definitely something erratic.

eMacMan
Feb 6th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Out of curiosity are you working in an admin level user profile? I have noted that at some point Apple decided that mounting or unmounting drives sometimes requires admin authorization. Something that is on occasion a real PIA.

Given that DU is not seeing your external drive(s) at all, it seems likely the problem is elsewhere.

Have you tried the good old resetting the NVRAM? Same routine as the good old PRAM flash.

csonni
Feb 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Yes on the Admin. I think I will give the reset a try.

pm-r
Feb 6th, 2014, 04:22 PM
It's doubtful if resetting the NVRAM will provide any improvement, but an SMC reset sure has potential to do so.

eMacMan
Feb 6th, 2014, 07:48 PM
It's doubtful if resetting the NVRAM will provide any improvement, but an SMC reset sure has potential to do so.

Every time I say that the NVRAM reset does the trick.

OTOH it is usually one of the last steps in my trouble shooting routine.

pm-r
Feb 6th, 2014, 08:08 PM
It would sure be nice for the OP if it did work, and one never knows 'till they try.

Macs can work in mysterious ways at times. ;)

hexdiy
Feb 6th, 2014, 08:30 PM
According to this article, NVRAM is for IntelMacs what PRAM was for PPCMacs: About NVRAM and PRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)
System Management Controller is a different deal: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964)
And yes, the Lord may move in mysterious ways, OSX does so too. Windows would just be faulty:-)

pm-r
Feb 6th, 2014, 08:47 PM
According to this article, NVRAM is for IntelMacs what PRAM was for PPCMacs: About NVRAM and PRAM (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379)
System Management Controller is a different deal: Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964)
And yes, the Lord may move in mysterious ways, OSX does so too. Windows would just be faulty:-)

Would that be anything close to faulty like Faulty Towers??

That would be appropriate. :D

hexdiy
Feb 6th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Would that be anything close to faulty like Faulty Towers??That would not be just close, but exactly on the spot:-)
Sorry for my British English, I've been educated this way in Belgium. Bit of a bother with autocorrect, sometimes.
Sorry for the off-topic, too.

csonni
Mar 6th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Do any of those enclosures have USB ports you could connect to and see if they mount properly when connected and powered up via the USB?

Failed to mount again today (and yesterday) without rebooting. I just connected via USB and it mounted fine. Unmounted and tried with Firewire. No go. Is USB more reliable when it comes to simple mounting?

eMacMan
Mar 6th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Are these FW 800 or are they older FW 400 enclosures using an adapta-cable?

I can see an adapter perhaps contributing to the problem.

John Clay
Mar 6th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Failed to mount again today (and yesterday) without rebooting. I just connected via USB and it mounted fine. Unmounted and tried with Firewire. No go. Is USB more reliable when it comes to simple mounting?

As a technology, no. However, I've seen some enclosures where the FireWire port was less reliable than the USB.

csonni
Mar 6th, 2014, 01:48 PM
These are all FW800 enclosures. Is FW800 much faster than USB 2.0 in real life? Didn't seem to be when I just did a TM backup.

pm-r
Mar 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM

Do all your "OWC, Rosewill, etc." enclosures behave the same way?

It's an older article, but have a look and see if any of the hints work:
Troubleshooting external hard drives that will not mount | MacFixIt - CNET Reviews (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20003099-263.html)

Also try resetting your Finder preferences and uncheck the Show: Hard Disks; External disks; boxes, close the window and then open it again and check the boxes you want and close the window. Just maybe...

Do you get the same problem if and when you boot up using Safe Boot Mode?

If not, there may be some third party utility interfering with the mounting or causing some sort of delay that the Finder misses.

But just quitting the Finder and/or Dock in the Activity Monitor may help and much quicker rather than doing a whole restart.

It's odd that the problem seems to be so intermittent. But still annoying... :(

John Clay
Mar 6th, 2014, 02:23 PM
These are all FW800 enclosures. Is FW800 much faster than USB 2.0 in real life? Didn't seem to be when I just did a TM backup.

Yes, over double the speed. Especially on older Macs, USB 2.0 is terrible.

IllusionX
Mar 6th, 2014, 03:09 PM

My friend's MPB actually have troubles with firewire. His WD My Passport FW800/USB2.0 will not stay mount when plugged with FW, but no issues with USB.

csonni
Mar 6th, 2014, 04:54 PM
Did a PRAM reset and booted into Safe Mode to clear caches. The drives mount fine in FW but, as before, that could simply be from a reboot which always clears this issue up. I didn't do a SMC reset yet. That requires removing the battery, and hence, removing all those screws to remove the back case, which I don't really want to do right now. I think I'll simply boot into Safe Mode the next time the issue arises and see what I get.

pm-r
Mar 6th, 2014, 05:12 PM
No need and you probably shouldn't attempt to remove the battery anyway.

[Quote]

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964)

A boot into Safe Mode wouldn't hurt either as it will purge a lot of old and surplus stuff, some of which just may be part of the cause of your problem.