: Digital letterhead design?

Raven
Jan 2nd, 2014, 12:48 PM
I've used Adobe InDesign for years to design Brand Identity programs with printed stationery for my small business customers. Lately I've been asked to provide a digital letterhead to match the printed one that they can email. I tried to build the letterhead in MS Word to match my original. It's brutal process and never ends up looking the same.

What's the solution to prepare a workable digital letterhead for those PC customers?

24" iMac. MacOSX10.6.8. InDesign CS6.

wonderings
Jan 2nd, 2014, 12:59 PM
What do you mean by workable? When we get this at work, I just take the letterhead file in indesign, crop it to be 8.5" width and only as narrow as needed for the logo and whatever else is at the top of their letterhead. I then make a png file of this and put it in word as a header (footer as well if they have it). This gives them a template for letterhead, they can type in the body of the letterhead, but they cannot change the logo or any text i.e. phone numbers address, etc.

Raven
Jan 3rd, 2014, 01:44 AM
Sounds interesting, Wonderings...
Do you place the PNG as a same size graphic in Word?
Is the "workable" space for text outside of this area only?
What if we also have info in the left margin to within 5 " down?
How does the colour match if we have a two Pantone colour logo?

Thanks for the advice. I will try this.

wonderings
Jan 3rd, 2014, 02:46 PM
What I have done for clients is so they can use it on their own laser or desk jet printers, they are not colour accurate or calibrated as its not intended for that use coming out of a word file.

Not sure how you would go about doing it down the side.

The png normally goes in smaller, word seems to shrink it, but because I made the image width exactly 8.5" all I have to do is drag the image so its exactly the width of the page in word. You will have to adjust the guides in word to allow you to do this. Also, as far as I know, png or jpegs do not retain the pantone info, they are converted to cmyk or rgb. I would personally not be expecting colour accuracy when doing something like this.

I can send you a sample word file if you would like to see what I am talking about. Send me a pm with your email if you want.

Raven
Jan 27th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Just to finish this off...

The best way to do this and get close to the original pantone colours is to import any logo and graphics in InDesign as an RGB JPG file.
Logos imported as EPS didn't seem to print as well later.
Convert Text as OUTLINES.
Then EXPORT the graphic portion of the document as a PNG file.
Quality is Maximum, RGB, 150 dpi.
PLACE in MS Word.
VIEW Header & Footer and size it to 100%.
And save as DOT template.

NOTE: The JPEG logo with white background prints as a so-so colour match to the Pantone colours offset printed. Better than any other combination I tried. The colours have a slightly washed out look.