: Help Installing OS 9 on a System running Panther

spinz
Feb 12th, 2004, 11:01 AM
My friend wants me to help instal OS 9 back on his G3. When we installed Panther on it recently we didn't think we'd need OS 9 again so we just reformatted the drive.

But now it seems we need 9.x for recording real audio files. Using Classic Mode doesn't work as it seems too slow to record audio properly. It hiccups even on my 1 gig G4!

monokitty
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:04 PM
When you installed Panther, did you install the OS 9 drivers? If no, you'll need to reformat again and check off "Install OS 9 Drivers." If you did, simply boot from the Mac OS 9 CD and install. You can install OS 9 on a drive with OS X already installed no problem.

andreww
Feb 12th, 2004, 12:36 PM
try a little app called Wiretap. I use it to record RA files, and it works flawlessly, even on my G3 ibook!

spinz
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:33 PM
You missunderstand. I need to record TO real audio. Not FROM real audio. So far the only real way i know of that works for mac is with Real Producer running in OS 9.

So how do i know if I have the OS 9 driver installed?

Rob
Feb 12th, 2004, 10:47 PM
You need to boot from an OS9 installer CD. Hold the "c" key down when booting to force your Mac to boot from the CD.

If there are no OS9 drivers on the hard drive then the boot CD may not recognize the drive or it may request that you initialize the drive in order to install OS9. If it sees the drive O.K. then just install OS9. You should now be able to choose the OS you want to boot with (OS9 or X) using the startup disk control panel.

If it doesn't recognize the hard drive when you boot from the OS9 CD then you could try adding OS9 drivers from the Drive Setup utility on the boot CD. I don't know if you can do this without having to initialize the drive (and losing all data). If you really don't want to lose your Panther install and files then I would wait to see if someone has a better solution before reinitializing the drive.