: how to change the iCal icon default date?

Ravindra Mohabeer
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:51 PM
I'm not sure if this was asked already...sorry if it was.

I'm still fairly new to OS X but something I've noticed that I'd like to do something about is the default date on the iCal icon.

If you haven't noticed, the default date on the icon is July 17 (? - figures, it's not on now so I don't remember the exact date). Once you click on your calendar, the rest of your working session, the date is today's date. The next time you boot up or restart, back to the default date until iCal is launched again.

Is there a way to either change the default date in the icon or have it always show today's date before the icon is touched?

I know, it's a small thing, but something that I'd like to 'fix' if it's fixable.

ehMax
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:30 AM
smile.gif

I've wondered the same thing actually. As far as I can tell, there is not a way to do this. You can edit the hidden ical.icns file to show a different default date, but you still have to launch it for it to change.

I wish it would show the correct date dynamically too. Send some feedback to Apple on iCal (http://www.apple.com/feedback/ical.html). smile.gif

ehMax
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:31 AM
Oh yes.. ps. July 17th was the day that iCal was initially released. ;)

Ravindra Mohabeer
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:58 AM
thanks. I figured as much. I sent feedback...who knows if/where that goes.

gordguide
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:27 PM
The date on the iCal application is just an image; an application icon, like any application's icon.

If you want to change it you can, just like you can change any icon on your Mac. But, you would have to change it every day if you want it to reflect today's date; it's a graphic stored as part of the application.

While iCal is running it becomes an active icon as part of Quartz's rendering engine, but there's no way to have every icon on your system update dynamically with programs that aren't running.

If it's keeping you awake at night you might want to change the icon to one with no date whatsoever; if Apple gets a lot of complaints about it via feedback that's probably what they will do about it.

[ February 11, 2004, 01:45 PM: Message edited by: gordguide ]

dcyyz
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:06 PM
do you by any chance own a mood ring? :confused:

Ravindra Mohabeer
Feb 11th, 2004, 03:12 PM
you know, I knew it was just an icon. I just thought that it would make sense to have it be dynamic irrespective of launching iCal since it becomes 'dynamic' after it's launched anyway. I also figured that since clicking on the time doesn't reveal the date anymore, they might have made that link instead.

mood ring, no. too many moods, too few fingers...or was that intended for the other person?

snowin
Feb 11th, 2004, 08:08 PM
What version of iCal do you have?? b/c 1.5.2 seems to do this :/ at least right now on my iBook iCal is not running and it says Feb. 11 smile.gif

AdrianL
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:30 PM
snowin,

maybe you opened iCal earlier and haven't restrted since and its showing the appropriate date?
or maybe there's a way to get it to show the right date and you know but aren't telling us tongue.gif

jmac
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:41 PM
I've included it in my startup. It seems to work just fine.

Open System prefs and select Login items ... add iCal.

Now once you logon or restart, iCal will start - you will need to close it, but if you have it set to "Keep in Dock", it will continuously update the date in the icon.

My turn now,

How can you adjust the colour of today's date in the month view ... it is so faint on my iMac 17" that i cannot really see an appreciable difference between today and any other day

Macified
Feb 11th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Maybe you could have an AppleScript run at startup which would launch and close iCal. It would take a bit of time but shouldn't be too bad.

Good luck.

(( p g ))
Feb 11th, 2004, 11:01 PM
I do the same thing as jmac but I also enable the "hide" feature so that it's tucked away in the dock when my Mac does its automated morning start-up.

Bertrand (Fr)
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Hello,

Macified, it's not enough, you must run this applescript every midnight to change the day.

You must add your applescript in cron to run at 0h00.

james_squared
Feb 12th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Hello,

Yes, it would be nice for it to have the updated date on there automatically without having to launch the program. It shouldn't be that difficult since the alarms work on iCal when it is turned off or hasn't been turned on in a while. I know this because iCal just beeped and showed a pop-up to remind me that I have office hours this morning!

Anyway, at least the calendar is right once a year. smile.gif

James

rollee
Feb 13th, 2004, 11:49 AM
i came across the same thing and figured to put ical under startup items. i thought it is excellent for apple to remind the user that ical was launched (like the smal black triangle under the app in dock) even after ical quits, to check on appointment changes during their day or to make it a habit to launch ical when they use their macs. afterall we all got appointments and a PIM is always helpful.

BTW when clicking on the time in menu, the date shows under it.

Bertrand (Fr)
Feb 13th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Hello,

I made a little Applescript to do this, here follows the listing :
tell application "Finder"
activate
make new Finder window to folder "Applications" of startup disk
tell application "iCal"
activate
quit
end tell
close window "Applications"
end tell

Open Applescript editor, cut and paste this text, save the script.
I'm learning as I write for you.
I'll learn now how to "cron" this Applescript.

[ February 13, 2004, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: Bertrand (Fr) ]