: Faxing and fax software

mrjimmy
Feb 10th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Does anyone know of a good (free) fax app? For years I used the software included with my Global Village modem. It was brilliant. I have tried Fax STF but seemed to have had some problems. Any suggestions?

Thanks

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:04 AM
try page sender:

downloads page (http://www.smileonmymac.com/pagesender/download.html)

i'm not sure if you will have to enter a serial number after downloading it or whether it will run as shareware, however, it is only $29 usd, and i've heard that it is the most reliable of the fax software available for os x.

also, Panther has faxing software built in to the OS, as does Windows XP.

Urban_Legend
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Hello,

There is no good FREE Fax Software for OS X. The only one that works when it wants to is the Fax built into Panther, but it is subpar to what Page Sender is. I own and use Page Sender and it works flawless in OS X. Everyone who owns this software has nothing but praise for it and that's why it is ranked number 1 on OS X. Their support is awesome and fast if you need it. In my opinion it is worth the $29.00 USD and even though I have Panther I don't bother with its so so built in Fax program.

andreww
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:23 AM
I've tried them all with varying degrees of success. The built in Panther works as good as any and is currently what we use. The only problem we have found is that it will not forward incoming faxes to Entourage as it is supposed to. I downloaded a patch that fixed that problem though.

mrjimmy
Feb 10th, 2004, 11:25 AM
(uh-oh, here's where I become the laughing stock...)

I would be using this in classic, not X...

andreww
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Fax stf

gordguide
Feb 10th, 2004, 01:43 PM
FaxSTF is a nightmare. Use it if you must, but be warned. Support sucks. The Global Village Fax software was light-years ahead, even when comparing the version that was sold a decade ago to what Smith Micro sells today.

Smith Micro's on my list of The 10 Mac Software Vendors who should be driven into bankruptcy as a service to the community.

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 10th, 2004, 03:52 PM
dude, just get a fax machine. save yourself the hassle.

mrjimmy
Feb 10th, 2004, 06:45 PM
You're probably right.

I wish I hadn't gotten rid of that modem...

Thanks