: Hello, My G4 700 imac crashes...

davidslegend
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:58 PM
This is my first post here ever! I got a somewhat new imac g4 700 flat panel 5 months ago. I say somewhat because I bought it from a retailer who had it open on the shelf (demo) but, sold it to me new so apple will warranty me (sorry, Apple but, they sold it to me like that). Got an amazing price.

I did some revival...had to treat it like a pc and totally wipe hard drive off and reinstall everything software wise. I also put 256 ram in it...installed by a mac technician!

PROBLEM IS...IT CRASHES...NOT IN A NASTY WAY...BUT, it freezes I say every fourth day and I have to shut it down to get it going again....Does anyone know why???

Plus, I bought StarTrek Elite Force combo and it does alot of freezing (crashing) in it....the video intro's don't run properly esp.

Well, thanks for letting me have my say...Hey, I am happy to be a mac user though...I hope to be a Mac guy for life if I can now! Can't waite to try Garageband next. Wow!

Thanks.

MBD
Feb 9th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Hmmmmm new RAM you say? Sounds like it could be a bad stick of RAM. You might want to try taking out the RAM and seeing if you still get crashes.

Carl
Feb 10th, 2004, 12:34 AM
What is the OS version? Do you only have 256M of Ram? Star Trek ELite Force alone needs alot of RAM and many games under OS X tap system resources differently. The games will circumvent the OS's ability to recover when one application crashes.
I would say that OS X and STar Trek would need 512 M of Ram. I run both my machines with a Gig of Ram, and noticed at least a 30% speed increase in intensive applications when the Ram was bumped up.
Standard PC-133 Ram will work in your machine, and Apple does not require it to be installed by a tech.

davidslegend
Feb 11th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Hey, I can't tell you how great it is to feel I have some support/advice...I'm not alone in the macintosh universe anymore!

The ram is new...I added one stick 256 which was the type hiding in the imac-I am pretty sure it wasn't one I could change myself. I'm using the most up-to-date Jaguar...I do the appropriate downloads often (habet I picked up being a windows user I guess).

I played the Star Trek game & it worked pretty good tonight. I think the solution is Much more ram! Except it's on the list of things I want to buy...As I said, I'm anxious to try Garageband & see what I'll need to try that out...keyboard would be nice...(I actually found a midi kb in the garbage once in my apartment bldg--it's a funky one to but, with small keys).....sigh!

Thanks, guys for your reply! Take Care! smile.gif smile.gif

Macaholic
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Some of the movie transitions in Elite Force are bugged out in OS X. Blame Aspyr, I suppose.

TroutMaskReplica
Feb 12th, 2004, 01:35 PM
if it only freezes while playing video games then it's not a ram issue, just crappy software.