: Urgent: Help: MS Word problems

Kuni
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:46 PM
MS Word crashed as I was saving an important Word document, and now, the file won't open...when I open it as text, it shows up as a series of nonsense characters.

If anyone knows a way I can recover the file (maybe bring back a past save?), I will be most grateful. I will pay, too, if it means buying a program to recover it.

(Yes, I know I should have saved a backup. Please don't tell me that, because I'm furious at myself for it already.)

Thanks.
Kuni

(( p g ))
Feb 9th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Check you user/documents/Microsoft user data/ folder/ . If Word's built-in autorecover was working, you ought to have at least one useable save in there. Another approach would be to do a finder search for documents saved within the last day (assuming this crash happened today).

Failing all of this, there's always DataRescue, but that will only be helpful if you've saved the file at least once.

Kuni
Feb 9th, 2004, 09:35 PM
The file has been saved multiple times...it was 98 pages long, in fact...(the irony being that I was in the process of preparing the first 50 pages for upload to my website when I lost the file. *sigh*) I had autorecover turned off because I'm a dolt.

What's DataRecovery? I am most eager to try it!!!

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I'm will to try anything. *bows*

(I tried a few tricks I found online, and succeeded in "recovering" 76 pages of web addresses that I surfed back in November. I wonder if it was corrupted by an old Safari cache or something...it could be lost forever...*sigh*)

*smacks self again for not backing up sooner*