: Teaching a old Imac new tricks

Tekman
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:18 PM
I was wondering what I should do with my old blueberry revD 333 Imac. Put a Sonnet Harmoni card with firewire capabilties so I could make it a Itunes juke box with all myCD's. or should I sell & put the money towards a newer model that has firewire already:)

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:33 PM
sell or trade-in

Tekman
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Depends on the situation whether I trade or sell my old Imac. Is the Harmoni card (600mzG3)as good or better than the comparable sized Imac. Is cost of card more expensive than trading to a comparable machine or selling my machine out right & buying a newer machine? These are the mitigating factors in my decision. I dont require a great video card in it Im just going to use it as a juke box for itunes. But I do require firewire for the external drive & added horsepower to run itunes in OSX.

chy
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:52 PM
i have a harmoni card in my 333 .... runs great. if you can find one for a good price, it runs flawlessly and breathes some life into 'the ol blue beast'

cheers

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 8th, 2004, 09:52 PM
i meant don't upgrade it
just sell it and buy something better
or trade it in for something better

i would not upgrade the iMac

MacDoc
Feb 9th, 2004, 02:40 AM
Ditto :cool:

Betty Fooz
Feb 9th, 2004, 06:09 AM
I have a g4 flat panel imac. I bought it 2 years ago before I new anything about macs, it became my obsession. If you are able to sell it and get something with open architecture (spelling) do it, I cannot stress that enough! I wish I went with a quicksilver instead of the imac (but it was sooo pretty). Check out macdocs site on some digital audio powermacs or check out ebay for some good deals. Example my buddy has a 500mhz DA Powermac, it scored much better on xbench even though the components in my computer are 'faster'

Tekman
Feb 9th, 2004, 01:51 PM
I already have 2 G4 towers (bought DP450 from MacDoc) the imac is just for installing itunes & running a jukebox. Its small attractive & is easier to hide. Probaly be better off with a ibook or something but like the visual of the imac in the room. So its not to game or any thing like that.