: Router distance ?

oger
Feb 7th, 2004, 11:45 AM
I wonder if anyone knows if there is software to manually connect/disconect a DSL set-up. I want this as a kid proofing mechanism in place of turning off the modem or un-pluging the router.

Also can anyone tell me the farthest distance that a ethernet cable can run? Is 30ft pushing it?
Thanks for any help.

Lawrence
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:04 PM
I have a 50' ethernet cable connecting my 7300/200 to the
Internet by way of a router, It works fine.

Dave :cool:

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 7th, 2004, 12:11 PM
ethernet cable length is dictated by the rules governing 10/100Base-T cable length

A properly crimped and twisted pair CAT-5 cable can go up to 150 feet. This is a maxmium and doesn't take into account interference from the cable being next to various things that may hamper signal strength.

I usually use 100 feet as a rule of thumb maximum.

Lawrence
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I wonder if anyone knows if there is software to manually connect/disconect a DSL set-up. I want this as a kid proofing mechanism in place of turning off the modem or un-pluging the router.
I usually just shut the modem off every night,
Just in case someone tries to breakin into my wireless setup.

If the kids don't know about how to setup TCP/IP,
Then you could always just change the settings everytime you
don't want them to connect.

I can't think of anything else, As I don't have kids,
Although my dog seems to be interested in learning how to surf. ;)

Dave :cool:

insertclevername
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:40 PM
If you have an old PC you don't need you could turn off NAT on the router, and install CensorNet on the PC.
Its actually really useful, with blackouts that can be set according to time, etc.

http://www.censornet.com/

Bertrand (Fr)
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Hello,

First usually for ATT 5 cable for 10/100 Mbps, the max length is 117 m, apologize for use of meter.
You can have information on ethernet wiring (http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/course/lan-pages/enet.html) There is a little summary by the end of document about length.

Second, if you have a web access to your modem you can disconnect the DSL line.

[ February 07, 2004, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Bertrand (Fr) ]

Ohenri
Feb 7th, 2004, 02:45 PM
with respect to KID proofing... you could maybe just Turn the Airport Off and then have the network password protected. They would have to go into the settings to change that around. That could be a start, no?

h!

oger
Feb 7th, 2004, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the tips. Maybe I could get rid of the kids and just get a dog? (or maybe not,,they might be useful sometime)
I think I found what I need in a internet utility called "Macminder" on MacUpdate,I will try the Demo out.
thanks again.

Bertrand (Fr)
Feb 8th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Hello,

Wonderful this Mac Minder, I've load and I'll try also.