: Modem and 9.1

MACSPECTRUM
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:01 AM
looks like you're caught between older mac and older modem
and with Global Village no longer existing, no place for help

HJS
Feb 7th, 2004, 04:24 AM
First check to see if you have entered DNS info in TCP/IP Control Panel. This is likely the problem if you are connecting to your ISP but not connecting to Internet. Download and try FreePPP 2.6.2 instead of Remote Access if the DNS info is correct; then change TCP/IP to connect via FreePPP, not PPP. FreePPP uses different modem scripts. You will have to enter all the necessary info in each of the tabs in the FreePPP Setup app.

Can you hear the modem dialing and connecting? Otherwise, you may need the Teleport Control Panel, part of the Global Village software, to set the port, connection, type, etc. If you didn't get a CD with the modem, I can send you a copy of the installer. I'll have to check-it's either vers. 2.5.x or 2.6.x.

Chris
Feb 7th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Greetings all!

I have a PM8600/G3 400 running OS 8.6. I have been trying to install 9.1 for some time now. I can get the OS installed and software running, but when I connect to my ISP, I can't get any response from either my e-mail (Eudora) or browser. I do connect, however.

My modem is a Global Village Teleport 56k Fax/Modem. When I searched the GV site for any software updates, I did find (and install) a new(er) script. I also noticed that the site noted that the modem was rated to work with Mac OS 8.x to 9.0.4.

I am wondering if this is the source of my problem. Does anyone else out there use the same modem? Have you had any success with OS 9.1? Is there an obscure script I am missing?

I'm trying to figure this out and find that this is a perplexing problem. Any feedback would be appreciated.

TIA smile.gif

Chris
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:32 AM
I've confirmed that the DNS settings are correct, and I am sure of the actual connection. My ISP also confirmed the connection when we were trying to figure this out.

I have downloaded FreePPP and will give that a try. It took a bit of searching to find! Cnet had no listing for it! tongue.gif

I'll report back what happens, but if anyone else has suggestions or experience with this, please don't be shy! :D

Lawrence
Feb 8th, 2004, 12:40 AM
Another one you can try is Open Transport/PPP (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/91)

Dave :cool:

HJS
Feb 8th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Cnet? graemlins/lmao.gif Try Versiontracker.com or Macupdate.com for any Mac software; Google will also turn up a lot of hits for FreePPP. I've set up many Teleport 56k modem's with FreePPP; if you continue to have problems, post again and I'll set up one again on one of the machines here to confirm the procedure. Usually no problems with these from 7.x to 9.2.2 and they also work in X, either on beige boxes with serial ports or on later Macs with Serial>USB adapters.