: Remote Desktop Icon?

Urban_Legend
Feb 6th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Hi everyone,

Why do I have a Binocular symbol in my Menu top right in Panther? Underneath the symbol it has a circle with a line through it. When I click on it, it has the following greyed out:

Not Active
Message to Administrator

Then the third option that is highlited says:

Open Remote Desktop Preferences

What is this program and is it part of Panther?

Thanks

Chealion
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Part of Panther. It's the client portion of Apple Remote Desktop. It comes installed in the system now. Kind of like Remote Desktop Connection in XP Professional.

You must have turned on the client software somehow, and have it set so that it shows the status of the ARD software. Either that or someone on your network is viewing you. Any friend's playing pranks?

Urban_Legend
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Ok that makes sense now why it was in the System Update the other day.

Well I double clicked on the ARD file and I guess that might have activated it? I'm not hooked up to any Network as this is the only Mac I own at home. Is there a way to turn it off? Well actually I guess it isn't really on if the Greyed out button says not Active. So can I just remove it from the Menu? Or do I need to turn it off and then remove it?

Chealion
Feb 6th, 2004, 06:59 PM
I can't find anything specific on Apple's site, but as far as I can tell, you can just drag it off your menu bar as it is after all not active.

I haven't seen any places to access the ARD settings, so you shouldn't have to worry.